Power Steering Question

Musada

I have researched the forum and found out that my problem is indeed that the power steering fluid is leaking into the intake manifold and causing all the smoke. I explained my uncle the problem and he said the same thing, that i need to replace that valve because he was having the same problem with his. He went ahead and replaced the valve himself. I dont really feel like spending the 100 bucks on the valve if you guys say its not worth the time and labor. So I was just wondering how to plug the valve so its not draining my power steering fluid nor causing the smoke. Do i have to remove the pump or is there an easy way of doing this?

I heard of one guy who cut the hose and stuffed a golf tee in each end to plug it. Another person removed the valve. and as he had welding skills, did a puddle weld on the inside to seal off the valve and then reinstalled it.

So there's the continuum, very simple to more elegant. You decide where your skills and appetite align.

Both are on this site so you can search to get the details.

I heard of one guy who cut the hose and stuffed a golf tee in each end to plug it. Another person removed the valve. and as he had welding skills, did a puddle weld on the inside to seal off the valve and then reinstalled it.

So there's the continuum, very simple to more elegant. You decide where your skills and appetite align.

Both are on this site so you can search to get the details.

cutting the hose and plugging it with golf tees sound more along my skills, lol....and pictures of where the hose is located. Just need a bit of direction.

I have researched the forum and found out that my problem is indeed that the power steering fluid is leaking into the intake manifold and causing all the smoke. Do i have to remove the pump or is there an easy way of doing this?

I had the same problem, but after some reading here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=62816

it took 5 minutes to fix it...

what i did, was, that i have looped together2 hoses coming out of the PS

and the top 2 holes i plugged with some rubber caps

smoke is gone :)

tomorrow will take some photos and attach them here

I got the valve off a Totota at the junkyard. Haven't put it on yet but it looks identical

Thanks Andre, look forward to those pics....you didnt have to take the p/s pump off did you? I'm just looking for an easy simple fix

You can remove the valve while the pump is still mounted, it's tight but not impossible. Go to a hydraulic supply store and find a suitable plug of the same thread pitch, dab some RTV on it and screw it in. This is a better method as the valve will continue to weep fluid, even if it's capped off from the intake. Plugging in ensures the leak is permanently sealed.

I want to say it was maybe an M14x1.5 pitch, but it's been a while since I did mine.

Hello Musada,

here are the photos

post-24978-1267731741_thumb.jpgpost-24978-1267731722_thumb.jpg

it's a temporary ( macgyver way of fixing ) just to see if it would work

it does = no smoke on start ups :)

i hope it will help you

regards

thank you for all your help!

My car started smoking bad at startup so with the help of a couple golf tees and a small hose clamp I just blocked it off and no problem. I do like the idea of just plugging the outlet at the pump as ps fluid always seeps from that area. I'm sure Toyota had a reason for adding this feature but it is really insignificant.

I have researched the forum and found out that my problem is indeed that the power steering fluid is leaking into the intake manifold and causing all the smoke. Do i have to remove the pump or is there an easy way of doing this?

I had the same problem, but after some reading here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=62816

it took 5 minutes to fix it...

what i did, was, that i have looped together2 hoses coming out of the PS

and the top 2 holes i plugged with some rubber caps

smoke is gone :)

tomorrow will take some photos and attach them here

Hey Guys, is there a year model of the LS 400 where the PS pump leaking onto the alternator is corrected by a design change?? Please be kind, I'm a newbie here.

Thanks!