Help The Newbie Sc Acting Strange

Hey all, I just got my 2002 SC430 in January and have quite a few problems with it. Actually, the only time I have driven it is to take it back to the dealer to have it worked on literally. The lastest 3 are:

it seems that if I turn the key too fast (before all the self tests are complete) not only does it throw idiot lights

like door ajar washer fluid low but it seems to not do anything when i twist the key for about a very short time.

like key in, turn to start......pause.........crank over. Am I better off waiting until all the self tests are done or is there a

problem with the ignition? It only happened once. After that I just waited an extra 15 seconds or so.

2. If I let it sit in a 40 degree garage for 5 days the battery goes dead. The manual says turn off the auto headlight switch if your are not going to start it for a week. Why is that? Is there a senor that is drawing current or is it a bad battery? This is dead - dead. Nothing. Sound like a weak cell?

3. After sitting for the week, it backs out of the garage no problem, but is VERY slow to move when I put it in drive. Almost as if I put it in snow mode. Do I need to let the trans warm up in gear for a minute or so, before I try and drive it? After that it seems ok.

It has to go in again this week for a bad o-2 sensor so I need to know if any of the above are usual for this car. I never had any of these problems with any other cars I have ever owned.

I guess I should add I have all the maintenance records, bought it from a dealer (not Lexus certified used) 70,000 miles not a mark on it. what else shold i be watching out for?(besides the damn run flats)

• 3 weeks later...
Hey all, I just got my 2002 SC430 in January and have quite a few problems with it. Actually, the only time I have driven it is to take it back to the dealer to have it worked on literally. The lastest 3 are:

it seems that if I turn the key too fast (before all the self tests are complete) not only does it throw idiot lights

like door ajar washer fluid low but it seems to not do anything when i twist the key for about a very short time.

like key in, turn to start......pause.........crank over. Am I better off waiting until all the self tests are done or is there a

problem with the ignition? It only happened once. After that I just waited an extra 15 seconds or so.

2. If I let it sit in a 40 degree garage for 5 days the battery goes dead. The manual says turn off the auto headlight switch if your are not going to start it for a week. Why is that? Is there a senor that is drawing current or is it a bad battery? This is dead - dead. Nothing. Sound like a weak cell?

3. After sitting for the week, it backs out of the garage no problem, but is VERY slow to move when I put it in drive. Almost as if I put it in snow mode. Do I need to let the trans warm up in gear for a minute or so, before I try and drive it? After that it seems ok.

It has to go in again this week for a bad o-2 sensor so I need to know if any of the above are usual for this car. I never had any of these problems with any other cars I have ever owned.

I guess I should add I have all the maintenance records, bought it from a dealer (not Lexus certified used) 70,000 miles not a mark on it. what else shold i be watching out for?(besides the damn run flats)

I have a 02 SC 430 as well, brought it 18 months ago with 40k miles and have had none of the issue you talk about. Sorry can't be more help.

P.S. just took off the Run Flats and went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus(Ultra High Performance All-Season) and the best thing I've done so far. Rides like a champ....

I have a 02 SC 430 as well, brought it 18 months ago with 40k miles and have had none of the issue you talk about. Sorry can't be more help.

P.S. just took off the Run Flats and went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus(Ultra High Performance All-Season) and the best thing I've done so far. Rides like a champ....

Thank you for the reply Pat! It turns out the problems were electrical. Lexus kept the car for 11 days.They went over the car from stem to stern. As close as I can figure, although the battery tested good, when they replaced the battery (which I think had a weak cell) all the problems went away. I also had an oxygen sensor go bad, which caused the car to run poorly. Apparently, ox sensors are a weakness in these models. The car screams now. Although I hate to admit it, Lexus really did go the extra mile to insure that I was satisfied. They gave me a free 2010 RX350 to use while they were diagnosing my car. Walked through every issue line by line and commented on it. I still don't really see what the big hoopla is about owning a Lexus, but I'm learning. There are aweful lot of things to go wrong on this car. Thanks for the heads up on the tires, they are the next issue to deal with I think.

Your problem is very simple.......you need a NEW BATTERY !!! If these cars are left idle for several days the battery can drain from all of the various functions that draw power..the alarm system, clock etc. Once your battery looses the proper charge all kinds of craxy stuff will begin to happen, including the light display you discribe....easy fix to all your problems

Oxygen sensors often fail with time more so than with miles. If your sensors haven't been replaced in 8 years then it's not only time but past time that they're replaced. No biggie. Glad you got the battery issue figured out and resolved. Even with a good battery the Lexus models suck down battery juice with all the parasitic keep-alive currents feeding the many onboard computers and security system. If your SC is a Sunday driver and not a daily driver you should invest in a smart charger to maintain it in peak condition and avoid those bad surprises. Your battery will last a lot longer. Now go and enjoy your SC!! (Oh, and ditch the run flats!)