Navigation - Ipod - Turn Off Top Of List Selecting While Scrolling?

I just took delivery yesterday on a brand new Lexus 350 with Navigation. I did a lot of research on the luxury crossovers, but the RX350 kept topping all the others for my needs/wants.

One thing that bothers me: I noticed that whenever I have a song playing and I attempt to scroll through other songs, the systems switches to whatever song is at the top of the list (the only time this doesn't happen is when I first select the playlist/album/genre/etc tabs before I start scrolling).

Is there a way to turn this method of browsing off or is it just the way interface works? It's a bit annoying trying to scroll through to find a song/album/etc, when a different song keeps starting up every time you stop scrolling. seems it should be a simple matter that the system should know that I'm only scrolling until I land on what I want and then hit the Enter button, exactly as the iPod does when you're listening to one song and look around for another.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I just took delivery yesterday on a brand new Lexus 350 with Navigation. I did a lot of research on the luxury crossovers, but the RX350 kept topping all the others for my needs/wants.

One thing that bothers me: I noticed that whenever I have a song playing and I attempt to scroll through other songs, the systems switches to whatever song is at the top of the list (the only time this doesn't happen is when I first select the playlist/album/genre/etc tabs before I start scrolling).

Is there a way to turn this method of browsing off or is it just the way interface works? It's a bit annoying trying to scroll through to find a song/album/etc, when a different song keeps starting up every time you stop scrolling. seems it should be a simple matter that the system should know that I'm only scrolling until I land on what I want and then hit the Enter button, exactly as the iPod does when you're listening to one song and look around for another.

Thanks!

Hmmm? No comments on this? I called my dealer and they looked at it...said they had no idea how to turn off the automatic selection of an item at the top the list. I suggested they pass it along to their audio engineers and make a firmware update available to change these settings. For anyone who uses an iPod regularly, the auto-selection feature on the Lexus NAV system is pretty counter-intuitive to the way iPods function (especially given the large market of iPod compatible car audio systems that don't have this auto-select feature).

Other than that though, I'm loving my new RX 350!

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

I find the same thing to be very irritating. In fact I find the whole option of controlling the I-pod to be very basic. If your looking through your albums and you know which one you like to listen to you have to scroll though every one to get to it. The same applies to the song list.

You would think that with all of the I-pods on the market that Lexus would have given us the same capabilities on our Navigation system that we find on the I-pod

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

The iPod/iPhone scrolling issue bothers many of us. Some of us have called customer service to complain. It is impossible to tell if they are aware of issue or even if they are working on a fix. I called and gave the person that answered the phone a couple of web sites (forums) to visit to see and read people's complaints. I asked that the information be passed up the chain of command, but I'll never know if she/he even looked.

The only work around I've read about is pushing the down arrow as soon as the scroll pauses and the original song will continue to play. Not really a fix when you are trying to drive.

Well, so far I've emailed my sales rep, called the toll-free service line (they've clearly heard of this from several people, but won't make any comments on if/when a fix might be coming) and most recently sent a detailed email to the local dealer service email (after they sent me a welcome email as a new owner). Overall, the issue with iPod is very annoying, especially with the big deal about the re-design, mouse managed features and the fact it's the best selling luxury cross-over available. I even looked at some of the 3rd party installable devices, but why should I have to pay more to fix something the Lexus should fix with a software upgrade at the dealer?

Only good thing to be said about this is that at least the connections and space in the center console make it easy to hide everything away.

Aside from this though, I'm still finding it the best luxury driving experience I've ever had. (course, I've never been in a Lamborghini)

Well, so far I've emailed my sales rep, called the toll-free service line (they've clearly heard of this from several people, but won't make any comments on if/when a fix might be coming) and most recently sent a detailed email to the local dealer service email (after they sent me a welcome email as a new owner). Overall, the issue with iPod is very annoying, especially with the big deal about the re-design, mouse managed features and the fact it's the best selling luxury cross-over available. I even looked at some of the 3rd party installable devices, but why should I have to pay more to fix something the Lexus should fix with a software upgrade at the dealer?

Only good thing to be said about this is that at least the connections and space in the center console make it easy to hide everything away.

Aside from this though, I'm still finding it the best luxury driving experience I've ever had. (course, I've never been in a Lamborghini)

Thanks for being proactive in your attempt to get Lexus' attention to this issue.

I too like the center console, I just leave an iPhone plugged in down there and another cable run out to charge our other iPhones. Occasionally I get the connection error from the iPhone in the bottom of the console , but it goes away the next time I restart the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree with all the comments above re iPod. The whole interface sucks. Same issue happens when you use the Satellite Radio. What's worse is that every time a new song is playing, you have to go through the audio controls to see the name of the song. Pretty distracting.

• 2 months later...

Argh, aside from the no wait or pause on the bluetooth, this has to be my biggest frustration with my new RX350.

I am a first-time Lexus owner and I'm not pleased that Lexus is so silent on such obvious design flaws.

I'm guessing from your comments that the dealers aren't much help either?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to my dealer and had them install a firmware upgrade that fixed this problem. I have heard that f/w above level 3357 is fixed. They put 335A on my vehicle.

Bob

2010 RX350

Did they charge for the firmware upgrade, or was it considered a warranty issue? Mine stopped working altogether since the last iPhone software update. Does yours still work?

Thanks

I went in for warranty when my gen5 IPOD Nano wouldn't work in early August. Still waiting for an answer, I notice that the 2011 4 runner manual says they only support gen3. Actually the gen 4 works fine. I have been unhappy with the clunky function and weaknesses with the way Toyota handles the IPOD (when it does work).

I'm more convinced now that I helped my daughter with her new Honda CRV. It has a CD based Nav system but it is night and day better than the Lexus. The IPOD function is far superior and it works with the Gen 5 Nano that wouldn't work in my Lexus. Her car cost $20,000 less than mine and isn't in the same class but the sound system & user interface is much better.

Lexus needs to outsource some of this until they get the talent to do it right, IMO!

I went to my dealer and had them install a firmware upgrade that fixed this problem. I have heard that f/w above level 3357 is fixed. They put 335A on my vehicle.

Bob

2010 RX350

Did they charge for the firmware upgrade, or was it considered a warranty issue? Mine stopped working altogether since the last iPhone software update. Does yours still work?

Thanks

No charge. But later they called and asked if I had a letter from corporate. Luckily, I had opened a case with corporate and they had told me to go to the dealer and get the upgrade and that it would be free. I told the dealer to check with corporate since I had a case open with them and I've not heard any more about it. I have the new iphone software installed and everything is working. I have tested iPod Touch 2G, iPhone 4, iPod Tough 4G, and all are working. The new iPhone 4.2.1 might even be working better than before.

No charge. But later they called and asked if I had a letter from corporate. Luckily, I had opened a case with corporate and they had told me to go to the dealer and get the upgrade and that it would be free. I told the dealer to check with corporate since I had a case open with them and I've not heard any more about it. I have the new iphone software installed and everything is working. I have tested iPod Touch 2G, iPhone 4, iPod Tough 4G, and all are working. The new iPhone 4.2.1 might even be working better than before.

Bob, any chance you can let me know what dealership this was? My local dealership cannot seem to locate the update, and I am trying to find a dealership that knows how, so they can pass that info along to my guys. I am really itching to get this fixed.

-Jason

• 3 weeks later...