Windshield Abrasion

sandydennis

My '06 LS 430 looks like it might have had contact with a little sand storm somewhere in it's previous ownership.

Under certain bright light, like at gas station at night, the windshield looks like the sky at night, million microscoptic stars.

Can these be removed safely? Is the windshield clearcoated? Will buffing/sanding ruin a clearcoat?

Body finish has some issues from this possible sand storm/road mess but that is an easy fix.

My '06 LS 430 looks like it might have had contact with a little sand storm somewhere in it's previous ownership.

Under certain bright light, like at gas station at night, the windshield looks like the sky at night, million microscoptic stars.

Can these be removed safely? Is the windshield clearcoated? Will buffing/sanding ruin a clearcoat?

Body finish has some issues from this possible sand storm/road mess but that is an easy fix.

Sandy,

I have an '04 LS430 with the same problem. I have been told that it is not possible to have the glass buffed so have come up with my own solution, but it is only practical for the larger nicks. I take a permanent black magic marker with a fine point and dot each nick. Let it dry well and then get a sharp razor blade to shave off any extra black next to the dots. When you are in the car looking through the windshield, the black dots are much harder to notice than the untreated ones, since they don't catch the light. You will have to repeat the exercise every few months.

Let me know how it works for you.

DandyDon

Sandy,

I have an '04 LS430 with the same problem. I have been told that it is not possible to have the glass buffed so have come up with my own solution, but it is only practical for the larger nicks. I take a permanent black magic marker with a fine point and dot each nick. Let it dry well and then get a sharp razor blade to shave off any extra black next to the dots. When you are in the car looking through the windshield, the black dots are much harder to notice than the untreated ones, since they don't catch the light. You will have to repeat the exercise every few months.

Let me know how it works for you.

DandyDon

Thanks DandyDon, I'll try it today.

UUHHMMMM yah definetly be carefull. I have only seen it done on windshields that were out of the car. I think I forgot to mention that. Just go slow and don't put any swirl or burn marks in there. Buff at a low speed and light pressure untill you get comfertable.

Dealer replaced windshield on my 02 LS430 for $371 on Feb 2, 2010. Used Aftermarket PPG glass installed by Pacific Auto Glass. I think Dealer supplied part and third party contractor came to dealer to do actual installation. OEM Lexus Windshield quoted at $2000. My Insurance USAA would only allow $350 for a windshield, and had $250 deductible, so I didnt file claim to get only $100, and couldnt pay for Lexus windshield. I had read everything on Forum and Internet about aftermarkets. Pro: PPG certified to meet USA standards for safety. Con: Reports that inside mirror doesnt stick as well on aftermarkets and rain sensor problems, but Dealer asked Installer and said Installer never has had those kind of problems, so we went ahead with it. Glass Company will come to your home or office and fix in 2 hours.

Dealer replaced windshield on my 02 LS430 for $371 on Feb 2, 2010. Used Aftermarket PPG glass installed by Pacific Auto Glass. I think Dealer supplied part and third party contractor came to dealer to do actual installation. OEM Lexus Windshield quoted at $2000. My Insurance USAA would only allow $350 for a windshield, and had $250 deductible, so I didnt file claim to get only $100, and couldnt pay for Lexus windshield. I had read everything on Forum and Internet about aftermarkets. Pro: PPG certified to meet USA standards for safety. Con: Reports that inside mirror doesnt stick as well on aftermarkets and rain sensor problems, but Dealer asked Installer and said Installer never has had those kind of problems, so we went ahead with it. Glass Company will come to your home or office and fix in 2 hours.

Man, that's good info to know, thanks!