Help! Tried To Remove Phone, Now Lx450 Won't Start!

thatlexusguy

Any help is appreciated, just purchased a new-to-me 1997 LX450, started fine this morning, then after I removed the factory phone (just to get some needed console room), and not the car will NOT start. Key turns, all electronics work (battery is brand new), but engine does not crank, and I can't get the vehicle out of park, which is what makes me think it has something to do with a security immobilizer of some kind (I understand could be complete coincidence). Local Lexus dealer is absolutely no help, if anyone has any ideas, I really appreciate it, thanks!

If you disassembled the console and unplugged the phone cradle, it could be a coincidence. Bad things have happened to a few who have cut phone system cables -- cutting a phone cable has apparently caused the cores of multiple incompatible wires to touch and short out a non-phone component.

The attached diagram for your 97 LX shows a theft deterent relay.

1997_LX450_Starter_circuit_diagram.pdf

Thanks so much for the reply, unfortunately, I did cut the cable, sounds like that was a huge mistake, because now I am completely stuck and the vehicle is disabled. I will definitely ask the question here first befire I do my next stupid move. I actually reattached all the wires afterwards, with no luck, and after trying anything and everything else I can think of, I am prety much stuck. Any chance you have heard about how the other folks who made the same mistake proceeded? Again, appreciate the help, the diagram seems to make sense, but I think tracking down a short might be beyond my capabilities.

I think most of the problems from cutting phone cables have been related to the audio system -- such as permanently grounding the mute wire so that no sound comes out of the speakers.

Your problem could still be a coincidence -- maybe an intermittent problem not disclosed by the previous owner?

A skilled auto electrician could probably track down the problem quickly -- one should have the knowledge and the diagrams needed.

• 3 months later...

Thanks again, I disconnected the phone and still no luck, and not sure I'd know the starter cut relay if I did find it, so I will just punish myself for being an idiot and tow it to a pro Monday. I do appreciate the feedback, thanks!

...so...whatever happened with this one?