'92 Ls400 Or '93? And Can A Pioneer Sound System Be Swapped Wi

acylon

Hello, and thanks for any reply in advance.

I am looking at a couple cars to buy. One is Black on Black 93 ls400. it has 155k and is dented on trunk pretty bad, has headlight damage and dented hood. Car is in decent shape over all. Has air sus and Nakamichi. Looks like it was put away wet;) He will take $3400...

The other car is a '92 Green with Grey interior, 135k, very very super clean. no dents. Has Pioneer and no air sus. Looks like wife car kept in garage. He is asking $4000 OBO

So my questions are:

Can you put a Nakamichi sound system into a pioneer lexus? ie is the wiring and plugs same on these 2 cars?

I drive aggressive and hear the '93 has bigger brakes than '92. Can this be beat later by putting on '93 brakes, or is it even significant?

Anything else I should know that may be better on '93 that matters?

Is Air suspension worth the headaches or not for aggresive driver?

-Cheers

James Unger

The 1993 LS400 was a very significant upgrade from the 90-92 LS400 and addressed most of dislikes I had about the 90 LS I had back then. Here is a summary of what changed -- it was huge! http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

Don't know if the 92 Pioneer and 93 Nakamichi are interchangable -- doubt it. Attached are wiring diagrams from the ARRC website for what they say are the 92 LS400 Pioneer and the 93 LS400 Nakamichi -- I'm not absolutely sure they are properly labeled on ARRC. Regardless, Nakamichi is long out of business and no one seems to repair them anymore.

Air suspension on older the LS400 is very prone to trouble, nosebleed expensive to repair -- many people replace the air suspension with steel springs rather than repair it.

1992_LS400_Pioneer_diagram.pdf

1993_LS400_Nakamichi_diagram.pdf

You CANNOT swap out the units without SUPER extensive unit and wiring changes throughout the vehicles.......

WARNING, dont even try.

by the way, check out the Dallas area: craigslist.org site for LS400 & LS 400 cars.

according to your prices, you can fly down here, buy one, drive it back and still save $$

but do yourself a favor and get at least a 95 (2nd gen) LS..

Thanks alot guys!

Looks like I should be looking for a 1996...

Maybe I can find a 1996 in Dallas thats the price of the ones I am looking at here :)

I am thinking a 96 or newer would be better because of OBDII, it seems to make it much easier to diagnose problems.

Any more light on these subjects would be great....

Thanks alot guys!

Looks like I should be looking for a 1996...

Maybe I can find a 1996 in Dallas thats the price of the ones I am looking at here :)

I am thinking a 96 or newer would be better because of OBDII, it seems to make it much easier to diagnose problems.

Any more light on these subjects would be great....

HERE IS ONE FOR $4000.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/1608186407.html

Nakamichi IS STILL IN BUSINESS!

I Went on their webside a couple of weeks ago and they have great things that they didn't have 1.5 years ago when I was looking for a Stereo system.

So I went for an Expensive Alpine system that can't play cds anymore now the changer went after just 1.5 years.

But check for a new Nakamichi aftermarket nakamichi system if you really want Nakamichi because their products really last.

Look how long the Nakimichi stock units lasted in our cars

Nakamichi IS STILL IN BUSINESS!

A company called "Nakamichi" exists but it is essentially a new company created under bankruptcy in 2002 and it doesn't support or make/supply parts for the products of the old, pre-bankruptcy Nakamichi company. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakamichi

The 95-97 are much more modern and upgraded. It doesn't seem like a 15 year old car at all. All the little ditails are worked out and the overall quality is a step up. (Hard to imagine anything better, I know!!) The only slightly better thing about the 93-94 is the engine internals are slightly beefier, which really only matters in turbo applications. The post 94 are interferance engines make about 10 mors HP, so a little better N/A performance. So unless you plan on a twin turbo job, buy a '95+.

You cannot swap the nak and pioneer systems period. the stock pioneer is better than 80-90% of other cars factory systems so you really dont need to. BTW the pioneer is much more durable than the nak.

Spirted driving and the LS are hard to combine. That i know for sure. Good summer tires are about the best thing you really can do. Splitting the stock Y-pipe and making a true dual exhaust will also help. The brakes are ok stock but i put EBC pads in and that helped a bunch. i also have cross drilled and slotted rotors going in tomorrow which should also help.

AVOID AIR SUSP. AT ALL COSTS!!!!!

Hi 1990ls 400 since you know much about Nakamichi I wanna ask you if you know somehing about Alpine?

Because I have Alpine I know this brand I first saw it like in 1999 at a car show and always tought this brand is expensive but a High Quality brand.

But in 2008 I bought an Alpine from a webside online the Headunit was like $1000 and the amps we're like $750 each they we're only 100 watts amps.

Now I'm having problems my cd changer quit working since last year and I find it strange that I can't find ANY SUPPORT not even online for this stereo system.

Everywere I look it's like this system doesn't even exist.

Is Alpine STILL IN BUSINESS?

Can you even help me maybe you knowhow to tell if my system is REAL or a cheap imitation.

Because I'm actualy suspecting I got ripped off.

Because I find it strange that company sells something that's SO EXPENSIVE and they don't have ANY SUPPORT when people get problems withit.

I couldn't even find a forum online we're people postthat they have this system.

Does Alpine even Exist?

Hi 1990ls 400 since you know much about Nakamichi I wanna ask you if you know somehing about Alpine?

Because I have Alpine I know this brand I first saw it like in 1999 at a car show and always tought this brand is expensive but a High Quality brand.

But in 2008 I bought an Alpine from a webside online the Headunit was like $1000 and the amps we're like $750 each they we're only 100 watts amps.

Now I'm having problems my cd changer quit working since last year and I find it strange that I can't find ANY SUPPORT not even online for this stereo system.

Everywere I look it's like this system doesn't even exist.

Is Alpine STILL IN BUSINESS?

Can you even help me maybe you knowhow to tell if my system is REAL or a cheap imitation.

Because I'm actualy suspecting I got ripped off.

Because I find it strange that company sells something that's SO EXPENSIVE and they don't have ANY SUPPORT when people get problems withit.

I couldn't even find a forum online we're people postthat they have this system.

Does Alpine even Exist?

TRY THIS:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/