'08 Is250 Sunroof Ticking Issue - Repurchase!

I previously posted a thread here last November regarding my 2008 IS250 sunroof ticking/pinging issue (but doesn't look like I can modify the topic title, so am starting over). Turns out, Lexus has agreed to repuchase my car after all! Really excellent news. Now I'm debating on whether to take my chances on a 2010. I can only hope two years later the car is being made a whole lot better.

I previously posted a thread here last November regarding my 2008 IS250 sunroof ticking/pinging issue (but doesn't look like I can modify the topic title, so am starting over). Turns out, Lexus has agreed to repuchase my car after all! Really excellent news. Now I'm debating on whether to take my chances on a 2010. I can only hope two years later the car is being made a whole lot better.

I'm not sure if this is the same issue or not but a few months ago I started hearing a loud pinging sound when I would hit bumps in the road. It sounded like it was coming from the back windsheild. Took it to Lexus twice, second time I asked to have a tech ride with me because they never could hear it. Turned out it was coming from the sunroof and it was a metal strip that they glue in (which he was not supposed to tell me that it was *glued*) and it had come loose. It runs the entire length of the sunroof and they had to take down my whole interior and replace the sunroof completely. Very $$ but if this was the same issue I had it drove me nuts!!

• 1 month later...

Jbrow ... I'm sure glad your dealer was able to fix your problem! And I hope in your case it was all covered under your warranty! Yes, it sounded at first like the pinging was coming from my back windshield too, but after two people rode in the car with me, they determined it was coming from above in the sunroof area too. The one specific tech my car was left in the hands with solely alone to fix could not fix the problem after 5 months of trying back and forth. I then switched to a second dealer, but it was now the Summer of '09 and I couldn't duplicate the problem in the heat when things expand. I had to wait an agonizing 4 months until the noise came back with the cooler weather in October, and I was now able to prove it to dealer number 2. But then HQ decided they FINALLY wanted to get the factory involved, but I had to wait an entire month for that appt. at whatever time was convenient for them! Although the factory heard the noise minimally that day, they couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from and the factory guy wasn't available for more testing for another 2 1/2 months! Unbelievable! I believed they just needed to replace my entire sunroof too, but in the end, and after an incredibly stressful ordeal, HQ decided to repurchase the car from me!!! I turned around first part of March and bought a brand new 2010 IS250 the same day I surrendered my 2008 broken car. Soooo much better!! This one is roomier, has the lights on the sideview mirrors, comes standard with blue tooth, 3 months free satellite channels, new tires, etc. And best of all, no pinging issues!!! Finally, I'm getting what a Lexus should feel and drive like!!