Big Pufff Of Smoke On Start Up "((

andre

hello,

just have noticed in the winter morning cold start, a big puff of white smoke coming out of the exaust pipes

in my '92 LS400 ( 305 K klm )

on a warm engine start up it doesn't happen...

any idea wat's the proplem?

....... :unsure:

hello,

just have noticed in the winter morning cold start, a big puff of white smoke coming out of the exaust pipes

It might be nothing to worry about The engine just runs a little rich when cold and exhaust more noticeable in frigid temperatures.

If it isn't that it could be a leaking idle up valve on the power steering pump. There are lots of posts on that in this forum. Basically the value starts to leak and power steering fluid gets into the intake manifold and when it reaches the engine you get white smoke. Either replace the broken valve on the pump of just capoff the lines in each direction as the idle up feature doesn’t seem that important and maybe not worth the price of parts to fix.

Szczęście rezygnować twój naprawiać. Pobyt ciepły!

hello,

It might be nothing to worry about The engine just runs a little rich when cold and exhaust more noticeable in frigid temperatures.

If it isn't that it could be a leaking idle up valve on the power steering pump. There are lots of posts on that in this forum. Basically the value starts to leak and power steering fluid gets into the intake manifold and when it reaches the engine you get white smoke. Either replace the broken valve on the pump of just capoff the lines in each direction as the idle up feature doesn’t seem that important and maybe not worth the price of parts to fix.

Szczęście rezygnować twój naprawiać. Pobyt ciepły!

=========

I know that the engine runs a bit rich when cold, but then I see alot of "white steam" coming at the back of the car until the engine warms up

= when I start the car cold in a warm garage then it blows a big clowds of whitish smoke only for a few seconds - first burst of exaust and then it looks ok, normal

it could be a leaking idle up valve on the power steering pump. There are lots of posts on that in this forum. Basically the value starts to leak and power steering fluid gets into the intake manifold and when it reaches the engine you get white smoke.

It's most likely the valve. If your PS fluid level is going down, that confirms it. The smoke can also be bluish in color.

it could be a leaking idle up valve on the power steering pump. There are lots of posts on that in this forum. Basically the value starts to leak and power steering fluid gets into the intake manifold and when it reaches the engine you get white smoke.

It's most likely the valve. If your PS fluid level is going down, that confirms it. The smoke can also be bluish in color.

----------------------

Thanks for the replies :)

Yes, my PS fluid is going down lately - there is small leak from the bottom of the PS reservoir tank:((

I'm checking daily and if necessery topping up my PS fluid - sometimes it goes down more, sometimes less

Is it expensive to fix this idle up valve thing, is it a big job? ( labour time? )...

Is it URGENT repair?, or can I drive with this for few weeks beefore I fix it. How serious this problem is ?

It only smokes on a cold start up

Thanks again for your help

The smoke is only as annoying as it is for you to top up PS fluid. Given age of car I wouldn't fix the valve, instead capping it off to stop the fluid leakage into intake manifold. Search the forum for more detail how. Several trhreads on this.

I had the smoke on startup... from the leaking idle up valve. It started out minor, but got bad very fast. When I started it, it looked like the car was blown up! <_< Blocked the idle up and all was fine. Countless threads on the subject on here.

I had the smoke on startup... from the leaking idle up valve. It started out minor, but got bad very fast. When I started it, it looked like the car was blown up! <_< Blocked the idle up and all was fine. Countless threads on the subject on here.

I cant find any treads about it :((

I wouldn't let it go long andre. Running oil smoke through your cats isn't that great for them. Cat's are way more expensive than plugging the ACV.

Not to mention the O2 sensors, pcv, egr, manifold, etc., oh yes, and of course the perverbial alternator. Much info esp pinned in the LS section.

I just capped my leaky PS valve and have been getting much less smoke on start up. I took it to a shop and had it done for about $200. I don't know if that was a little much or not, but it was leaking all over my engine and driveway so I went ahead and had it done. I got a 98 ES as a free rental for the day so I figured it was worth it.

I will get to the garage asap and will try to capoff the lines

ok. done. just came back from the garrage where we did capoff the lines = 5 minutes of work !!!

now will observe te PS fluid level for the next few days,

and will let you know if it did solve the problem

:)

I also have a large output of white smoke at startup. I checked the air hose at front of engine block that goes to the power steering ACV, and it seems to be sucked closed. Should this tubing be as soft as it is? or did a mechanic go cheap and give me the wrong type of tubing?

I couldn't imagine that it is correct for the tubing to be sucked closed like this.

Anybody know whats going on here?

• 2 weeks later...

just capoff the lines in each direction as the idle up feature doesn’t seem that important and maybe not worth the price of parts to fix.

hellp curiousB,

Today I've blocked off bouth hoses at the ends instead of having them in a loop.

( see the photos above in this link http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...howtopic=63034)

I just wonder if it will not blow off the hose clamps at the bottom end of PS, witch will be hard to see and it may leak heavily there?

Anyone else had this happened? :o

I have alot of fluid coming up towards the air intake = i had a loose fit on a hose clamp today an alot of fluid leaked out.

Regards

just capoff the lines in each direction as the idle up feature doesn’t seem that important and maybe not worth the price of parts to fix.

hellp curiousB,

Today I've blocked off bouth hoses at the ends instead of having them in a loop. ( see the photos above )

I just wonder if it will not blow off the hose clamps at the bottom end of PS, witch will be hard to see and it may leak heavily there?

Anyone else had this happened? :o

I have alot of fluid coming up towards the air intake = i had a loose fit on a hose clamp today an alot of fluid leaked out.

Regards

Recall this is a vacuum line so the pressure is negative and relatively low. You can always get a very small gear clamp at H/W store to hold you plug in the hose or even a zip tie might be enough. That's for the side facing the intake manifold.

If the idle up valve is really damaged I guess fluid pressure could get higher on pump side. Try clamping up tight but if that fails maybe you need to go get a metric bolt and remove the idle up valve and screw in a bolt with RTV sealant as a plug. Apparently it can be done without removing pump but is a bit of a tight squeeze. I think someone spec'd out the thread type earlier on this thread (excuse the pun).