Detail Engine Hood Insulation Pad?

Open your hood and spray it with a power washer or at a wand-type car wash. That's what I've always done every month or two. I also clean the engine compartment about once a month being careful not to directly spray electrical components and then wipe down everything visible with cotton towels I buy by the dozen. A lot of people have reported drivability problems after doing this but I've never had a problem and have been doing it for decades -- maybe I'm more careful than most.

Do you spray the hood insulation pad itself Jim?

Yes, that's what I've been doing since I bought 00 LS 2003 and I did the same on the 90 LS I had from 1990 to 2003. The hood insulation pad on the 00 LS has gotten a little wrinkly and the back edge droops slightly when the hood is open but at least it looks spotless -- it needs a few more attachment points to hold it securely to the hood. I don't use a strong spray of water to clean the insulator pad -- like I said, I clean it often so dirt and grime doesn't build up.

It would be better if the hood insulation on the 00 LS didn't have a porous, cloth-like finish -- it absorbs water when I spray it but dries out quickly from the engine compartment heat. The hood insulation pad on the 90 LS seemed rigid and I don't remember it absorbing water, drooping or getting wringled -- it seemed of higher quality than the one on my 00 LS.

As I've mentioned before, I've noticed numerous components and tolerances that seem to be to have been designed a little stronger/closer on the earlier LS400. I suspect many of the differences I've noticed between the 90 LS and the 00 LS were done just as much to cut weight as to cut manufacturing costs. I just now checked the retail prices of the "hood insulator" for the 90 LS and 00 LS and see that the one for the 90 LS costs $27.58 more than the one for the 00 LS.

Yeah when you look at the LS430 theres even more difference, and difference between the LS430 and the LS460 in terms of quality. For instance the LS400 & 430 has a nice high quality rearview mirror that matches the interior color...the LS460 has a black cheap plastic unit on all interiors.