Sc400

Bandit

The 93 SC400 goes into the shop Monday to have the Rear Main Seal replaced. The seal cost $36.00 including shipping from a Lexus Dealer. This is a very large diameter seal. My mechanic is charging me $250 to replace it. I'll let all know how it goes.

I determined that my seal was leaking when it only leaks after an oil change. When the oil level is high, it is up to the level of the seal and it pours out. Once the level drops below the level of the seal, it seeps out.

I hope my diagnostic is correct, we'll see.

:cheers:

The Rear Main Seal is in and it seems that I can remove the cardboard from my garage floor. I also let him replace the Fuel Filter while he had it on the rack.

We noticed a little weeping from the Front Main Seal, but I'll what as I will need to replace the Timing Belts in the next few months. Since he has to remove the Timing Belts to get to the Front Seal, I'll knock out both at the same time.

:cheers:

you should consider changing the water pump while the front is all appart.

i am a bit surprised to see the seal go bad. rarely do these toyota seals go bad. i had a 86 cressida took appart the whole motor and all the seals looked like they were brand new besides the fact that they were a bit harder than the new ones.

well thats just me..... :blushing::lol:

The Water Pump, Alternator, Starter and Radiator Reservoir were replaced about 20,000 miles ago, so I don't think I'll need to replace any of those components, but good suggestions. Others might be in the same situation.

Sometimes it's better off to change multiple components when your having to disassemble. In the long run, it will be cheaper tear it down once, then multiple times. I most cases, your mechanics labor will cost you much more than the parts. :cheers: