Gumout Fuel Injector Cleaner

92ls forhundo

so i bought a bottle of this stuff the other day, it was on sale for 5 bucks...figured what the hell, now my 92 ls400 has well over 300,000k on the clock, and it is truly an exercise in a nearly no maintenance vehicle, by that i mean i take care of it, and go easy on her, but i dont put much money into her...

so i put this gumout stuff in , and i have to say, wow! it has made my acceleration "silkier" and more responsive...so, what does the peanut gallery say about this stuff? is the performance boost i am experiancing real? or a placebo? or is their a tradeoff because i used? a downside? thanks...

gumout is a good cleaner, it is not a mechanic in a can. it sounds like your throttle body has not been cleaned in a looooong time

run a search on it and do some reading

good luck

yeah i did the tb cleaning about 2 years ago, it wasnt soooo bad...i was thinking of the injection system...anyway, umm, thanks..

so i bought a bottle of this stuff the other day, it was on sale for 5 bucks...figured what the hell, now my 92 ls400 has well over 300,000k on the clock, and it is truly an exercise in a nearly no maintenance vehicle, by that i mean i take care of it, and go easy on her, but i dont put much money into her...

so i put this gumout stuff in , and i have to say, wow! it has made my acceleration "silkier" and more responsive...so, what does the peanut gallery say about this stuff? is the performance boost i am experiancing real? or a placebo? or is their a tradeoff because i used? a downside? thanks...

Fresh out of peanuts, but of all the snakeoils, Regane has one of the better reps. Though with 330K I'd be carefull of a cleaner dislodging gunk from the bottom of your tank and clogging your filter or pump. Also, I'm sure you know to use it just before an oil change. IMO, if you stick with quality fuel and regularly do some WOT's, your injectors shouldn't give you any probs.

For some good reading, here are a couple of links:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry395351

and a monster thread on the subject:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t54232.html

gumout is a good cleaner, it is not a mechanic in a can. it sounds like your throttle body has not been cleaned in a looooong time

good luck

yeah i did the tb cleaning about 2 years ago, it wasnt soooo bad...i was thinking of the injection system...anyway, umm, thanks..

I know you were, but your engine performance is married to your fuel/air mix, and the TB is a real robber in that area

just a tip

good luck

I know you were, but your engine performance is married to your fuel/air mix, and the TB is a real robber in that area

just a tip

i appreciate that, im not that much of a newb, and when i did my tb 2 years ago(full clean, removal, black shop rags the whole deal) it didnt yield the instant and noticable results that this did, its why my curiosity is piqued...it prolly is time to do it again...when i bought the car about 5 years ago the seller i think said he had just done an injector service...but my memory is hazy and their are no records...

Probably a placebo effect. Its hard to see how a couple of ounces of an additive you add have to a tank of gas (thereby instantly diluting its concentration) would have an instant noticeable effect. At best it might have a slight gain after a period time to wash through the system. And even that is a little suspect. As you say though it didn't cost much and it doesn't seemed to have hurt so maybe its all upside.

I agree on the TB comments. Just a good maintenance item. I'd add cleaning the IACV to that todo list as well.

Probably a placebo effect. Its hard to see how a couple of ounces of an additive you add have to a tank of gas (thereby instantly diluting its concentration) would have an instant noticeable effect. At best it might have a slight gain after a period time to wash through the system. And even that is a little suspect. As you say though it didn't cost much and it doesn't seemed to have hurt so maybe its all upside.

I agree on the TB comments. Just a good maintenance item. I'd add cleaning the IACV to that todo list as well.

I agree on the IACV too, PLUS I am going to go get a couple of bottles of Gumout for my LS's also, thanks 92LS, I am greedy for top performance....

cheers'

I agree on the IACV too, PLUS I am going to go get a couple of bottles of Gumout for my LS's also, thanks 92LS, I am greedy for top performance....

cheers'

thanks man, listen in all honesty, after a couple of days this isnt a placebo effect...on the freeway today, my old girl was just flying, it would literally , with barely any throttle it would go from 75 to 90, just effortless and fast....now i typically run my tank to the near empty, it is just a function of how my pocketbook works right now...so any dirt at the bottom of the tank is already run in the system...so maybe this is what explains what i am experiencing ....

to be clear, im not neccessarily advocating gumout, just pleasantly surprised at what it did...