Something Problem... My Ls 400

Jack Lee

I just got 90 LS 400 148,000miles

BUUUUUUUT too many problems in there.....

1st. under hood, smells like gasoline, too strong, I thinks fuel line leaks but not sure

2nd. engine sound is unstable

3rd. under hood, some smoke in there

4th. in the panel, "trac off" light on though i put the switch, "height-normal" light on, and "airbag" light on

:(

1st. under hood, smells like gasoline, too strong, I thinks fuel line leaks but not sure

4th. in the panel, "trac off" light on though i put the switch, "height-normal" light on, and "airbag" light on

Welcome to the club! :cheers:

Must have got it for free, otherwise you would have inspected before buying. Sounds like you're not a diy. Since you got it for free, you could spend a few bucks and have it checked out at a reputable garage. Your probs could be caused by any number of reasons. Or you could save up and buy one that runs decently. Your "height-normal" light should tell you to look for one with a conventional suspension, especially in a '90. One thing's for sure, I wouldn't drive it until you sort out at least the fuel smell. You know, any vehicle, even a tank, can be destroyed if abused properly.

Must have got it for free, otherwise you would have inspected before buying.

I couldn't have said it better.

One thing's for sure, I wouldn't drive it until you sort out at least the fuel smell.

If you do drive it, make sure it's straight to the "reputable garage".

So, how much did you pay?

Absolutely and carry a fire extinguisher! Sounds like a fire waiting to happen! :unsure:

Must have got it for free, otherwise you would have inspected before buying.

I couldn't have said it better.

One thing's for sure, I wouldn't drive it until you sort out at least the fuel smell.

If you do drive it, make sure it's straight to the "reputable garage".

So, how much did you pay?

You could probably part the good parts for around that. Especially if the body is in good shape. Sell a door or two, some glass and a deck lid and you have your $1k back. Interior could be a money maker if its in good shape. BTW what color is it??

Props for putting a positive spin on a seemingly depressing circumstance Killer! :cheers:

Smoke is probably leaking valve covers - oil drips onto the hot exhaust components and smokes. You probably notice this as occasional puffs of smoke(?); gasoline smell is troublesome, but not hard to track down; airbag light - on you can try to find a thread on this forum to turn it off.

That leaves the "trac off"!!!

HTH

Mike

Smoke is probably leaking valve covers - oil drips onto the hot exhaust components and smokes. You probably notice this as occasional puffs of smoke(?); gasoline smell is troublesome, but not hard to track down; airbag light - on you can try to find a thread on this forum to turn it off.

That leaves the "trac off"!!!

HTH

Mike

I agree. My 1990 LS400 had 270K when I sold it and the covers were seeping, but not at the smoking point yet. My 1991 was a different story.... I was getting occasional big puffs of smoke from the driver side back of the engine... I guess oil was dripping on the muffler. When I sold it, I alerted the new owner that it needed new valve covers asap.... whether she took heed or not, I dont know.

Gas smell is another issue... that needs to be addressed on that car ASAP.

• 1 month later...

I just fix all problems...

Thank you guys!!

Hang in there man!! You can do it. I've fixed worse (not jokeing either). check out lexls.com you will probably need it.

That's great! :cheers: Looks like Killer can inspire resolutions for what seem like dead end situtations.

So ...... to make your appreciation complete, how about some details .... like what got fixed and how?

I just fix all problems...

Thank you guys!!

Hang in there man!! You can do it. I've fixed worse (not jokeing either). check out lexls.com you will probably need it.

let us know what all you had to fix, it will help someone else...

Cheers.. post a photo of your LS..