Malfunctioning Headlight Switch On '94 Ls400 - Any Suggestions?

eastmanm

Hello everyone-

I recently purchased a '94 LS400, and the light switch seems to have a short - when I turn on the lights, some front panel lights go off (heater & stereo controls, although the dash works fine). If I turn the switch halfway, these panel lights come back on, but the rear tailights go off.

Anyway, I still have my '93 LS400 (tranny died), and was thinking of switching the headlight switch. Is that difficult to do? Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks, would very much appreciate any thoughts on how I can best solve this problem.

Mike

I doubt if your problem is the switch ... sounds like a ground issue, failing battery, an electrical short or something else. A break in the left trunk hinge wiring harness causes really weird problems but I don't remember this specific issue being caused by it. Still, if you just bought the car unwrap the left trunk hinge wiring and closely inspect the wires for a break -- splice in new lengths of wire if any are broken. Maybe try switching in the car battery from your 93 LS.

Thanks Jim, will take a careful look at the trunk wiring (the fact that the tailights go off when the dash lights go on makes me wonder about that). I'll look into making sure the battery has plenty of oomph as well, although I haven't had any issues starting it, etc, even in the recent cold weather.

Mike