Ignition Switch Wire From The Fuse Box

I am partially deaf and place my radar detector to the bottom left of the windshield. I would like to hard-wire it, the fuse box is the closest attachment point but the fuse box cover will not fit with a fuse tap. Does any one know the color/pinning of an ignition switch wire coming from the fuse box? Specifically the radio1 wire (7.5 fuse, second in the diagram) would be great. Thanks

Update - It was raduio2 NOT radio1

Sorry, my bad

What are you trying to acheive? Are you just looking for voltage? Do you want voltage all the time, or only when the car's in ACC/ON?

I have a pretty advanced radar system installed in my 400h, all remote. I used voltage from the cig lighter. If you take out the panel in the center console you can get to the wires behind the cig plug. This way you'd get 12V only when the car is in ACC or when it's ON. Then you can run some wires from the back of the cig plug across/under the dash to the left of the car. I'm not sure where you can pick up voltage from the fuse box without controlling current. Good thing about tapping off the cig plus is that it has a seperate fuse so you won't damage any vital components if anything goes wrong.

Your profile says ES330 but, based on a past post and that your thread is in the Hybrid Forum, I assume you are asking about your 2006 RX400h. Attached is drawing 1 for the 2006 RX400h non-ML audio system from the ARRC website. The radio 1 wire color is the same if you have the ML system.

If you are using an old style fuse tap, maybe bending it with pliers will make it fit well enough so the fuse box cover will fit -- a phone installer did that on my first Lexus 20 years ago.

Another way to get power from a fusebox is by using an "add a circuit" or piggyback fuse although some of those also get in the way of the fuse box cover. I attached a photo of the type I see most but there is another type that has the fuse holder about six inches from the dummy fuse that goes into the fuse box.

Or, maybe you could tap into the wire going to the cig lighter or accessory power port -- that's what I did to power my semi-permanently installed portable GPS in my LS.

Still another way is to use a wire behind the ignition switch but I don't know if that would work if your RX has "keyless go". I had an installer connect the two power wires for the phone system in my current LS to wires at the ignition switch -- one is a constant power wire and the other is switched (on only when the ignition switch is in the accessory or run position).

Or throw your radar detector in a drawer and drive without it. I did that about 15 years ago and it sure made driving more pleasant.

2006_RX400h_std_audio_drawing_1.pdf

post-2157-1266503630_thumb.jpg

What are you trying to acheive? Are you just looking for voltage? Do you want voltage all the time, or only when the car's in ACC/ON?

I have a pretty advanced radar system installed in my 400h, all remote. I used voltage from the cig lighter. If you take out the panel in the center console you can get to the wires behind the cig plug. This way you'd get 12V only when the car is in ACC or when it's ON. Then you can run some wires from the back of the cig plug across/under the dash to the left of the car. I'm not sure where you can pick up voltage from the fuse box without controlling current. Good thing about tapping off the cig plus is that it has a seperate fuse so you won't damage any vital components if anything goes wrong.

I only want voltage when on and it would be a shorter distance than running to the moon-roof. The wire has its own fuse for protection.

As soon as BeatSonic comes through, I will be putting a video bypass and swi-jack on the cig plug. So I am not sure about adding another device to that list of consumption along with the usage of a cell charger. The bypass box I use does better away from the radio power source, don't know why but it does - guess timing. The aux plug powers two dvd headrest for the kids; both of which have dvds and screens, so I did not want to add there.

In my ES I used a fuse tap for the same fuse but there is no cover, it is hidden behind a coin tray; so everything worked out well and I was hoping to do the same.

Own both 05 ES330 and 06 RX400h (+05 Tundra, +08 Highlaner). Two for me and two for her :)

I tried bending the tap but the cover occasionally falls off and I do not like having the box exposed.

I have seen the fuse jump pictured but never for a low-profile mini fuse that the rx uses.

I live in a small town and the local police make most of their money through speed traps, so that is no a route for me. They should to post the trap locations in the newspaper for locals to know but no more.

Thanks for the pdf.

I have seen the fuse jump pictured but never for a low-profile mini fuse that the rx uses.

Mini-fuse versions are available although you might not find them in a small town auto parts store. Google and you will find: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=mini+ad...9a46ede2c2a175d

I live in a small town and the local police make most of their money through speed traps, so that is no a route for me.

I've had no speeding tickets since I stopped using a radar detector 15 years ago and I've done a lot of driving through small towns including meandering around Mississippi stopping at every fricking antebellum house my wife wanted to see. My father has driven for over 70 years without a single speeding ticket. Hmmm ... are we needing an ophthalmologist as well as an audiologist? ;) (Sorry ... couldn't resist.)

I've had no speeding tickets since I stopped using a radar detector 15 years ago and I've done a lot of driving through small towns including meandering around Mississippi stopping at every fricking antebellum house my wife wanted to see. My father has driven for over 70 years without a single speeding ticket. Hmmm ... are we needing an ophthalmologist as well as an audiologist? ;) (Sorry ... couldn't resist.)

I have never received a speeding ticket either (knock on wood) and I am proud to say I am 20/20. But I do have a heavy right foot and rulz were made to be broken :D . I have used a radar detector my entire driving life, I just see it as a tool. If anything it reminds me/people to pay more attention to their speed and the road. I see plenty of people driving around not paying any attention to driving; talking on a cell phone, putting on make-up, two-handed eating, READING, and God knows what else.

I cannot find a "low-profile" mini fuse add-on. Some people say use the regular mini fuse add-on and let the blades stick out a little but there is no way the fuse box cover would go on; plus I do not like having exposed current, even if it is a "little bit". I also found a picture of a low-profile mini fuse soldered to another breaker/wire but that does not seem any better than tapping into the wire itself.

post-76407-1266518517_thumb.jpg