Total Loss On 2006 Rx400h

Got into an accident few days ago. So the car got towed to a body shop and they told me around $5000-6000 to fix it up.

Today the insurance company told me its a total loss and to take my belongings out of the car.

So my question is what amount should I accept from my insurance company?

Info:

Im in Toronto, Canada and I bought the SUV in May 2009 for $39,138.68 total balance now is $28163.50

I've attached pics of the damage as well

-side air bag on the passenger side

-front passenger rim and tire

-dents above passenger rear rim

-rear bumper passenger side only

Thanks

post-96034-1266347604_thumb.jpg

post-96034-1266347614_thumb.jpg

post-96034-1266347630_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert, but it doesn't look that bad to me....??? Was there damage to the axles/diffs/transmission? How many KMs on the vehicle? Usually, a vehicle is written off when the cost to repair it is too great a percentage of the current value of the vehicle. I would have thought 5 - 6 k of damage wouldn't be enough to write off the vehicle.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't look that bad to me....??? Was there damage to the axles/diffs/transmission? How many KMs on the vehicle? Usually, a vehicle is written off when the cost to repair it is too great a percentage of the current value of the vehicle. I would have thought 5 - 6 k of damage wouldn't be enough to write off the vehicle.

No damage to the diffs/transmission but axle maybe because the tow truck hooked it and it has 112k kms. Yea for a total loss the cost to repair must be over the value of the car and its not but Ill post an update once the adjuster contacts me.

Thanks

Something tells me that there is more damage to the car that just what the body shop will have to fix.

Yeah, the $5-6K seems right, especially if there is any body damage under the car, but I fear there is $10K or more damage to the drive train and HSD system. Just look at the tilt on the front wheel.

So I think there is another shoe to drop on this story.

Got into an accident few days ago. So the car got towed to a body shop and they told me around $5000-6000 to fix it up.

Today the insurance company told me its a total loss and to take my belongings out of the car.

So my question is what amount should I accept from my insurance company?

Go to toyota.ca where you can get an estimate of your trade in value based on the black book.

Info:

Im in Toronto, Canada and I bought the SUV in May 2009 for $39,138.68 total balance now is $28163.50

I've attached pics of the damage as well

-side air bag on the passenger side

-front passenger rim and tire

-dents above passenger rear rim

-rear bumper passenger side only

Thanks

You can go to toyota.ca and get an estimate of your trade-in value which is based on the black book.

I had a total loss in a accident at other driver's fault last July. Here in Florida, the law says if the repair costs more than 80% of the current value of the vehicle, it's a total loss. Trust me, you will never get back what your car is actually worth.

If your accident is caused by other driver, don't wait, hire a attorney NOW, it's vey painful to deal with insurance company by youself!

Here in Florida, the law says if the repair costs more than 80% of the current value of the vehicle, it's a total loss.

If this were the case where the OP lives, that would mean his car is worth a mere $7500. If his car is really worth, say $30,000, then the loss amounts to just 20% of the car's value. Something just "aint" right!

No wonder why there are so many "salvaged" vehicles out there.

Here in Florida, the law says if the repair costs more than 80% of the current value of the vehicle, it's a total loss.

If this were the case where the OP lives, that would mean his car is worth a mere $7500. If his car is really worth, say $30,000, then the loss amounts to just 20% of the car's value. Something just "aint" right!

No wonder why there are so many "salvaged" vehicles out there.

+1

I'd take it and run...

Vehicle damage is a funny thing. There is so much damage that can be done beneath the surface, to the suspension, the costs of the airbags are huge. A lot of it has to do with whether or not the insurance company wants to continue to insure it after the repair is completed...

I'd take it and run...

Vehicle damage is a funny thing. There is so much damage that can be done beneath the surface, to the suspension, the costs of the airbags are huge. A lot of it has to do with whether or not the insurance company wants to continue to insure it after the repair is completed...

Yeah, that's a good point...

I don't care HOW good a repair shop might be, a structural repair will never be as strong as when original.

I wouldn't want to be driving around in a car that's had structural damage even if welded back in place. I just wouldn't trust it in an accident... :(

Paintwork i don't mind since it doesn't affect structural integrity, but anything to deal with the frame and hidden parts i would worry about.

That's why most people buying a car often run the other way when they see a carfax with accident history. <_<

Rajuthan,

That is SAD to look at - I have the SAME color except mine is a 2008 with the chrome door handles.

Good Luck with the insurance.

I'm amazed they totaled that. I ran my 03 ES into a tree last March and did over $7k in damage and they fixed it. However the airbags didn't go off so that may have been part of it. But anyway getting $34k for your RX IMHO is a good deal.

That's especially a good deal for an 06, considering the most recent value of the 400h.

Last May, an 08 400h was worth $41,000, now 9 months later an 08 is barely worth $33,000 :(

$33,000 for an 06 right now is a HUGE deal.