A Question Or Two About The Brakes On A 2000 Ls400

m4coyote

New member here, and I have a question about the braking performance of the 2000 LS400. I am seriously considering the purchase of this car, but the only thing that is standing in my way is the brake feel. We already own a Mercedes E500, a C6 Vette, a 2007 Civic, and a Chevrolet Avalanche. This particular LS400 has about the same braking feel as my Avalanche, that is, that it feels as if the brakes are not large, or aggressive enough for the weight of the vehicle. Stopping this LS400 in an abrupt way ends with the pedal almost on the floor, and the possibility of locking the wheels seems to be a very remote possibility.

I have searched this forum for clues as to what the issue is, and have come away somewhat confused. I have read that some folks adjusted the vacuum booster push rod, and that seemed to do the trick. I have also read that the type of performance I described above is "normal". I prefer brakes that will cause wheel lock up and the ABS to engage at virtually any reasonable speed. Should the 2000 LS400 be able to lock the wheels at say 50 or 60 miles per hour? I ask, because this one will not do it at 15 or 20 mph, irregardless of the pressure applied.

Thanks in advance for any advice or words of wisdom!

Later LS brakes are huge - early ones, like my 92, are not. The brakes on that 2000 should have no trouble invoking the ABS. There is something wrong with the system - air perhaps, or glazed pads, or a partially failed master cylinder.

It didn't brake like that when it was new - something has changed, and is not correct.

This is not normal. I believe your car has the same brakes as my '97, which stops well and doesn't require putting the pedal to the floor.

I've never tried to slam on the brakes at 50 mph, but I can definitely lock the brakes on a sandy surface at low speeds.

I have a 2000 LS400 that I've driven for about 80,000 miles and doubt if it is possible to lock up the brakes to the extent that the tires will leave skid marks. The 2000 LS400 was the first model year that the LS had "brake assist" which essentially increases braking force automatically to stop the car in the least possible distance. Brake assist makes the brake pedal "feel" different than in any previous model year of the LS400 -- it's explained in the car's owners manual.