Driver Side Rear View Mirror Problem 1996 Ls400

Phil M.M.

Hi Folks,

My out side auto tint mirror has started doing some strange things.

on auto tint mode ( green light on) 1/3 of the mirror tints -other portion does not-.there seems to be blue colored blotchs on it.

I belive the "auto tint"function is electronic -could i have done damage spraying de icer on it here in New Brunswick Canada?

Thanks !

• 9 months later...

The solution is to replace the mirror glass with a new one. Or you could purchase an entire used mirror and housing but you might end up with a mirror that also has problems and the whole mirror housing is more difficult to remove/install than just the glass. I've read that some people just glue a piece of ordinary mirror glass on top of the existing mirror but of course the auto tint function is lost and it might not look so good.

You have to be very careful when removing the mirror glass to avoid breaking the clips holding it in place. There may be instructions somewhere on this forum and there may be instructions in the repair manuals for your car since (I think) there are in the repair manuals for my 00 LS. I remember the removal procedure involves using a shop towel or other small cloth to pull the mirror glass out but I don't remember the details.

Replacement mirror glass has sometimes been on eBay and can probably be bought from an online parts supplier like Sewell Lexus which gives forum members a discount: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/ Sewell is, of course, in Dallas near the old airport but I don't know if you could get the discount by walking in.

Attached is a diagram that shows the glass and part numbers for your car. Register on http://www.toyodiy.com and you can view the diagrams too.

The mirrors on my car have a few small blue blotches so I'll probably be replacing the mirror glass at some point.

post-2157-0-96278300-1290648321_thumb.jp

• 4 years later...
Dear fellow Lexus Owners,

My 2001 Lexus ES300 has a cloudy driver side mirror. It looks like the reflective material on the inside of the mirror is peeling off. Has anyone else had this problem? What causes it? JC

My 2001 Lexus ES300 has a cloudy driver side mirror. It looks like the reflective material on the inside of the mirror is peeling off. Has anyone else had this problem? What causes it? JC

The mirrors on high-end cars use a phenomenon known as electrochromism. Basically, there is a fluid or gel sandwiched between panes of glass which, when excited by an electrical signal, cause the reflective properties of the glass to change. Typical failures are having this fluid or gel leak out. Older Acura's are infamous for the rearview mirrors leaking fluid onto the shifter console.

Here is a little more info...

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_an_electrochromic_rearview_mirror

I have no ideal what would cause the mirror to peel but A replacement is easy and cheap enough that I would not even try to figure it out.

Not cheap, $550 at Lexus. What alternative do you have. Photo attached.post-143578-0-23372700-1434379585_thumb.

The mirrors on high-end cars use a phenomenon known as electrochromism. Basically, there is a fluid or gel sandwiched between panes of glass which, when excited by an electrical signal, cause the reflective properties of the glass to change. Typical failures are having this fluid or gel leak out. Older Acura's are infamous for the rearview mirrors leaking fluid onto the shifter console.

Here is a little more info...

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_an_electrochromic_rearview_mirror

Sounds like someone overengineered this and didn't test it properly before including in the production line. They have taken what was a perfect design and screwed it up.

Yeah, in trying to include the latest whiz bang gadgets they might have over engineered. But hey, they want you to trade in that old car for a new one!

I did not expect it to be cheap. If I were you, coppens, I would be looking at a junkyard replacement and not the auto tinting one either. Just a regular one. A good auto glass shop might be able to make the repair fairly reasonably (under $200...maybe?). I am sure they have seen it all before. Or you could try replacing it yourself using just the mirror or a complete used assembly (as long as the colors match).

I have no ideal what would cause the mirror to peel but A replacement is easy and cheap enough that I would not even try to figure it out.

Not cheap, $550 at Lexus. What alternative do you have. Photo attached.attachicon.gifLexus Driver Mirror a.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-01-Lexus-ES300-Camry-Heated-Driver-or-Passenger-Side-Mirror-Your-Chioce-/231571724696

Or go to a junkyard.

• 1 month later...

The solution is to replace the mirror glass with a new one. Or you could purchase an entire used mirror and housing but you might end up with a mirror that also has problems and the whole mirror housing is more difficult to remove/install than just the glass. I've read that some people just glue a piece of ordinary mirror glass on top of the existing mirror but of course the auto tint function is lost and it might not look so good.

You have to be very careful when removing the mirror glass to avoid breaking the clips holding it in place. There may be instructions somewhere on this forum and there may be instructions in the repair manuals for your car since (I think) there are in the repair manuals for my 00 LS. I remember the removal procedure involves using a shop towel or other small cloth to pull the mirror glass out but I don't remember the details.

Replacement mirror glass has sometimes been on eBay and can probably be bought from an online parts supplier like Sewell Lexus which gives forum members a discount: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/ Sewell is, of course, in Dallas near the old airport but I don't know if you could get the discount by walking in.

Attached is a diagram that shows the glass and part numbers for your car. Register on http://www.toyodiy.com and you can view the diagrams too.

The mirrors on my car have a few small blue blotches so I'll probably be replacing the mirror glass .

Lexus Owners Club 180615 malfunctioning auto dim mirror

Dear fellow Lexus owners, the video is a complicated way to fix the mirror. Replacing the glass is complicated, too.

The malfunctioning auto dim mirror appears to be a common problem. The Lexus recommended fix, i.e. replacing the mirror and associated hardware, is very expensive.

The simple fix is to find, or have fabricated, a replacement mirror (glass only), and glue it over the malfunctioning mirror. It is possible there are universal replacement mirrors that can be used.

Has anyone done this? Please provide costs and sources. JC