Ls400 With 2jz-gte Swap?

4DRHTRD

I am looking for a fun project. I saw an article in Project Car magazine about the skyline motor in a M30 coupe. So I moved down the path of the skyine motor in a Q45. Then I found that Infiniti seems to be a bad mod road to go down for wheels/tires/suspension etc. I then followed the logic that if a skyline (nissan) straight 6 turbo in a luxury sedan would work why not a Supra (toyota) straight 6 turbo in an LS400 or LS430? I've been looking on lexextreme etc but the build parts are scarce for the V8 motors and it seems everyone is engineering their own way, however the 2JZ-GTE would allow me to bolt up a 4L80E tranny make tons of power and due to it's higher RPM output allow it to get decent traction on the street.

Anybody done this swap or know of a site about it?

I'm researching well ahead of my project but thought it could be some fun! It's either going to be this a hyabusa motored turbo reverse trike!!! (each having merit in their own right)

:)

I don't think annoy is the right word. Amuse is. Especially the idea of using the 4L80E trans from GM. Piece of crap. Throw away the best auto box ever made to install one of those.....hahahaahahaahahahahahahahaa.

It's been done. The site is no longer up but if you search cardomain.com (I know, it's horridly childish, but the car is in there) you'll find a black widebody 1st gen with more money in it than two new LS460s. The guy has a single turbo 2JZ making over 700hp if I recall and a huge audio system with a dozen speakers in each door. Not my cup of tea but I do admire the efforts.

Edit, I got bored : http://www.cardomain.com/ride/409848

That way you don't have to wade through the other ghetto trash to find it.

I don't think annoy is the right word. Amuse is. Especially the idea of using the 4L80E trans from GM. Piece of crap. Throw away the best auto box ever made to install one of those.....hahahaahahaahahahahahahahaa.

Sorry, just didn't think there was parts available to get the LS400 auto to handle big torque. I have dealt with the 4L80E with high HP/High TQ (over 1000 HP) and had no problems with it what so ever. I saw some articles about all the high HP Supra's running power glides or turbo 400's and now 4L80's so I figured it's an easy swap.

With mass experience with my Impala and 396 stroker/250 shot I ate up 4L60E trannies like they were candy so I started messing with the 4L80E's.

It's been done. The site is no longer up but if you search cardomain.com (I know, it's horridly childish, but the car is in there) you'll find a black widebody 1st gen with more money in it than two new LS460s. The guy has a single turbo 2JZ making over 700hp if I recall and a huge audio system with a dozen speakers in each door. Not my cup of tea but I do admire the efforts.

Edit, I got bored : http://www.cardomain.com/ride/409848

That way you don't have to wade through the other ghetto trash to find it.

Nice link. Always good to see the different builds.

I'm surprised it's not well known on here, I found the original site (I think it was cureline.net) several years ago after doing a basic google search on LS400 performance. It was a HUGE site with links to numerous parts from Japan and other places, and probably more pictures than any three dozen other sites around with full details about every aspect of the car. Guy put as much time into the site as he did money into the car.

I'm surprised it's not well known on here, I found the original site (I think it was cureline.net) several years ago after doing a basic google search on LS400 performance. It was a HUGE site with links to numerous parts from Japan and other places, and probably more pictures than any three dozen other sites around with full details about every aspect of the car. Guy put as much time into the site as he did money into the car.

It was http://cureline.net/lex/

I've found it on the internet wayback machine and I'll be downloading it so that I can recreate it soon.

:)

• 11 years later...
On 2/17/2010 at 8:33 AM, 4DRHTRD said:

It was http://cureline.net/lex/

I've found it on the internet wayback machine and I'll be downloading it so that I can recreate it soon.

🙂

10 yrs later...

You ever get around to this project?

Sincerely,

an LS400 owner in 2021

• Like 1