Balancing 20's...

Has anyone had problems with getting their rims balanced on their GS4's?...I have a set of 20" KMC Picasso's that the Dealership I bought the car from has been trying for about three months now to balance these rims! They claim to have tried everything...going even as far as to "force" balance them...and they STILL could not get them to balance right. They told me that they had talked to a person from one of our local Lexus Dealerships...and they had stated that the car is VERY sensitive and that may be the reason for the shimmy...but as far as I can see it....that wouldnt make a difference..because the dealership is claiming that they could not balance the wheels...I am at my wits end here and I dunno what to do... :wacko: ...I dont know if I will need to step down to 18's in order to get the ride runnin smooth (WHICH I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO)...so any info would be great!...I know a LOT of you have 20's on your ride...so help a brutha out..PLEASE! :D

If you have 20's on your rides...can anyone give me someone to contact in order to maybe get a new set of rims...I just dropped $1200 on a new set of skins and I dont want that to get flushed down the drain just because the locals dont know how to balance a set of wheels...THANKS IN ADVANCE EVERYONE!

I bought 20's for my GS300, I bought them online and paid extra to have the spun balanced. However, when I got them I had a bad vibration over 40mph. I took it to Discount Tire, and they spun them again and it was almost gone. I still think there is a tiny bit of vibration from one of the wheels, but I am not sweating it! I think electronic tire balancers are not always accurate. I think the most accurate way actually is the old waywith the bubble! I ride bikes to and here is what a fellow rider has determined! spin balancing problems :o :D

Has anyone had problems with getting their rims balanced on their GS4's?...I have a set of 20" KMC Picasso's that the Dealership I bought the car from has been trying for about three months now to balance these rims! They claim to have tried everything...going even as far as to "force" balance them...and they STILL could not get them to balance right. They told me that they had talked to a person from one of our local Lexus Dealerships...and they had stated that the car is VERY sensitive and that may be the reason for the shimmy...but as far as I can see it....that wouldnt make a difference..because the dealership is claiming that they could not balance the wheels...I am at my wits end here and I dunno what to do... :wacko: ...I dont know if I will need to step down to 18's in order to get the ride runnin smooth (WHICH I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO)...so any info would be great!...I know a LOT of you have 20's on your ride...so help a brutha out..PLEASE! :D

If you have 20's on your rides...can anyone give me someone to contact in order to maybe get a new set of rims...I just dropped $1200 on a new set of skins and I dont want that to get flushed down the drain just because the locals dont know how to balance a set of wheels...THANKS IN ADVANCE EVERYONE!

Take them to a tire shop and have them do it.. I have had 5 sets of 20" rims and I never was told that they were having a problem balancing the rims.. Those guys don't know what they're doing.. Or maybe your rim is warped/bent and the don't know about it.. But that's really unlikely because they'd beable to see it..

I bought 20's for my GS300, I bought them online and paid extra to have the spun balanced. However, when I got them I had a bad vibration over 40mph. I took it to Discount Tire, and they spun them again and it was almost gone. I still think there is a tiny bit of vibration from one of the wheels, but I am not sweating it! I think electronic tire balancers are not always accurate. I think the most accurate way actually is the old waywith the bubble! I ride bikes to and here is what a fellow rider has determined! spin balancing problems :o :D

Now for your problem.. It's a real easy problem too and alot of people overlook it or don't even think about it.. So check it out, you said that after the shop balanced the rims you still have the shaking, right? If you do I can almost guarantee that the wheels you bought aren't hub-cemetric with your hubs.. What that means then is that in order for the rim to fit properly you have to buy some centering-rings.. You see, right now the rim isn't sitting properly on the hub, it has extra space around the inner part of the rim where the hub is supposed to fit snugly and because of that it moves around.. It's a simple fix and will only cost you a few bucks.. But if I were you I'd do it fast because with your wheel sitting like that on your hub it puts extra pressure on the bolts and they will start to "WALK", that means they will loosen and start to move around..

I bought 20's for my GS300,  I bought them online and paid extra to have the spun balanced. However, when I got them I had a bad vibration over 40mph. I took it to Discount  Tire, and they spun them again and it was almost gone. I still think there is a tiny bit of vibration from one of the wheels, but I am not sweating it! I think electronic tire balancers are not always accurate. I think the most accurate way actually is the old waywith the bubble! I ride bikes to and here is what a fellow rider has determined! spin balancing problems :o  :D

Now for your problem.. It's a real easy problem too and alot of people overlook it or don't even think about it.. So check it out, you said that after the shop balanced the rims you still have the shaking, right? If you do I can almost guarantee that the wheels you bought aren't hub-cemetric with your hubs.. What that means then is that in order for the rim to fit properly you have to buy some centering-rings.. You see, right now the rim isn't sitting properly on the hub, it has extra space around the inner part of the rim where the hub is supposed to fit snugly and because of that it moves around.. It's a simple fix and will only cost you a few bucks.. But if I were you I'd do it fast because with your wheel sitting like that on your hub it puts extra pressure on the bolts and they will start to "WALK", that means they will loosen and start to move around..

:o Okay Mike! I saw those and wanted an excuse to buy, so I guess I will try them and see if it helps! The vibration was pretty bad when I had them balanced online, however after having Discount Tire rebalance them it was pretty much gone. I even asked the tech and he said that they were not balanced properly , but whatever! I will try the rings! I will keep ya posted! Thanks!! :D

Hi guys...thanks for the info...yea..they are DEFINITELY hubcentric...but they do have the adapters that set inside the center ring of the rim...so I wouldnt think that is it...and I did have someone else balance them and they did get better...but they cracked the rim...according to the dealership that is trying to fix this issue...

It's a ridiculous issue...that I know should be something simple to fix...and it is next to IMPOSSIBLE to find anyone in the Pittsburgh, PA Area that actually does the full deal...mounting, balancing and installing of rims...every place I have been to withihn 200 miles of Pittsburgh, either just orders the rims from shops online or they send them to shops like Pep Boys and places like that to get mounted and balanced...and as far as I am concerned..those "fast food" type places aren't capable of handling any requests beyond factory style improvements to a vehicle...and as far as the performance shops in my area...all they want to deal with are civics and rice burners...and none of the guys in those shops around here are certified...that also makes me nervous...

I love these rims..but I dont know if they are junk rims...I understand that model of rim is now discontinued and I am wondering if that is the reason why..because they have been having problems with those...

I am starting to think that it is the spin balancing machines themselves...and the operators that run them... :-(

haha..oh man..yea..mr sypher..what I meant to say was you were right as far as them not being hubcentric...but they do have the adapters on them...and these are the things that are baffling me...because I do have the adapters in and it still shakes...and I have had the rims balanced about four times since I bought the car...

AND the other thing...I dont think it could be a bent rim..unless all the Picasso's made by KMC were out of round...because I replaced a rim..and the problem still persisted...and even though the rims were rotated (because I wanted to see if I could feel any difference..and maybe give me a clue as to why the car wash shaking..if I did have a bad rim or two)...

hahha..I am hoping that if the dealership orders new rims...this prob will go away... :(

Thanks for all your input guys!..

I bought 20's for my GS300,  I bought them online and paid extra to have the spun balanced. However, when I got them I had a bad vibration over 40mph. I took it to Discount  Tire, and they spun them again and it was almost gone. I still think there is a tiny bit of vibration from one of the wheels, but I am not sweating it! I think electronic tire balancers are not always accurate. I think the most accurate way actually is the old waywith the bubble! I ride bikes to and here is what a fellow rider has determined! spin balancing problems :o  :D

:o Okay Mike! I saw those and wanted an excuse to buy, so I guess I will try them and see if it helps! The vibration was pretty bad when I had them balanced online, however after having Discount Tire rebalance them it was pretty much gone. I even asked the tech and he said that they were not balanced properly , but whatever! I will try the rings! I will keep ya posted! Thanks!! :D

Make sure you get the right size for the hub and the rim.. The centering rings have 2 sizes, the inner, which fits onto the hub and the outer, which fits inside the rim..

Reigns, that may be your problem too.. If the centering ring is off by 2mm you will feel something..

I think they have the right size on...as the adapters fit snug around the hub and squeeze into the rim itself...but here is my next question...should the adapter have anything to do with the actual balancing of the rim?...shouldnt they have an adapter that will fit the original "universal" hole in the rim when they balance the rim? Because they are saying that before they even get the rim on the car...they can't get the wheels to balance...oh..and heres another thing...they just called me today..and said they would buy me a set of rims...but they would not mount or balance the new wheels...and I would have to sign a waiver to release them of any liability on the rims...and that just sounds like an easy way out for them instead of truly finding the problem...I have a BAD feeling about agreeing to that...but I really just want my car back...and I think they know that and are using that to their advantage...

Oh yea..and now that my car has been sitting for three months now...do you think that would cause flat spots on my new (three month old) tires?

MAN!...Mr Sypher...Lexdiamond...TurboGS300...I appreciate all your help so far!...thats why I tell everyone I know about this site...you guys are GREAT!....I thought a knew a lot about cars...but I am slowly finding out that there is SO much to every car and every mod...that you really do need sites like this to keep ahead of the game...Thank you all again!

Hey, no problem with helping out.. That's why we are here..

Now with your car having flat spots, I don't think so but you never know.. Hopefully you have them inflated enough that there isn't that much give to the tires.. And with the wheel shop saying they'll buy you a new set of wheels, that's because they are idiots and want to put a end to this ongoing problem.. I don't see why you shouldn't do it.. Or even better, get your money back and I can hook you up with some really nice JDM wheels that not many people have in the country.. Like some Work Wheels (that's what i got)....

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problemwith a 1999 gs 400 i bought some 19 inch wheelsn with 245/40/18 kumho 712, I also installed the hub rings. the problem is I still get vibration at 60 and above the whole car shakes at that speed, I balanced the tires multiple times but still the same I even get new tires but that did not help either. Any suggestions?