Fuel Tank Capacity

Ashron

Vehicle: 2010 LX-570. I purchased this vehicle 3 months ago and love it! But I have a nagging issue that perhaps someone could shed some light on.

Fuel tank capacity per the brochure is 24.6 Gallons. When the low fuel red light comes on, my vehicle computer shows that DTE (Distance to Empty) is only 8 miles. (seems to me like Lexus designed this vehicle with an usually low reserve). A couple of days ago on my way to work the low fuel red light came on. By the time I got to a gas station (I doubt I drove 8 miles since the red light came on) my car's computer was showing distance to empty = 0 miles! But when I filled the car with gas, the most I could fill up was 19.3 gallons! I understand that some fuel will always remain at the bottom of the tank and is therefore "Not Usable". But 5.3 gallons of "Un-Usable" fuel represents 22% of the tank's capacity. Is this normal? What are other LX-570 users experiencing? Other things to consider about this issue: 1) On all my previous Lexus cars (this is my 5th) the car's computers show average MPG for this tank and average MPG for the life of the car. This car only has average MPG for this tank, but no average MPG for the life of the car. (Why?) 2) From day one it appeared to me that the driving range from full tank until the low fuel red light is very low. If only 19 gallons of fuel are truely "Usable", no wonder. 3) Is the fuel tank design so bad that only 19 gallons are truely usable? 4) If so, it explains why the low fuel red light comes on with only 8 miles left to go. (If they left enough fuel in reserve for 40-50 miles like most other cars, we would have to refuel even more frequently). By the way, knowing that the fuel reserve is so low forces me to constantly worry and monitor my fuel situation. In reality, I end up fueling when the car reaches a 1/4 tank or so, just to be on the safe side! (Which means even more frequent fuel stops) Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Same problem...I just bought a 2010 LX 1 week ago and when the DTE read 16 mi, I figured I needed to re-fuel...however, my low-fuel warning never came on and when I gassed up, only 18 gal went in...I'm waiting to hear back from the serv dept about thia as we speak.

Vehicle: 2010 LX-570. I purchased this vehicle 3 months ago and love it! But I have a nagging issue that perhaps someone could shed some light on.

Fuel tank capacity per the brochure is 24.6 Gallons. When the low fuel red light comes on, my vehicle computer shows that DTE (Distance to Empty) is only 8 miles. (seems to me like Lexus designed this vehicle with an usually low reserve). A couple of days ago on my way to work the low fuel red light came on. By the time I got to a gas station (I doubt I drove 8 miles since the red light came on) my car's computer was showing distance to empty = 0 miles! But when I filled the car with gas, the most I could fill up was 19.3 gallons! I understand that some fuel will always remain at the bottom of the tank and is therefore "Not Usable". But 5.3 gallons of "Un-Usable" fuel represents 22% of the tank's capacity. Is this normal? What are other LX-570 users experiencing? Other things to consider about this issue: 1) On all my previous Lexus cars (this is my 5th) the car's computers show average MPG for this tank and average MPG for the life of the car. This car only has average MPG for this tank, but no average MPG for the life of the car. (Why?) 2) From day one it appeared to me that the driving range from full tank until the low fuel red light is very low. If only 19 gallons of fuel are truely "Usable", no wonder. 3) Is the fuel tank design so bad that only 19 gallons are truely usable? 4) If so, it explains why the low fuel red light comes on with only 8 miles left to go. (If they left enough fuel in reserve for 40-50 miles like most other cars, we would have to refuel even more frequently). By the way, knowing that the fuel reserve is so low forces me to constantly worry and monitor my fuel situation. In reality, I end up fueling when the car reaches a 1/4 tank or so, just to be on the safe side! (Which means even more frequent fuel stops) Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I spoke to my local service dept and they said it was normal that Lexus has a very conservative DTE/fuel gauge...It does seem wierd how the warning light comes on after only burning up 19 gals. He also mentioned that the avg mpg is calculated over several trips and averaged, but not the life of the car or only 1 trip either.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a good and bad sign that you are experiencing the same problem as I am. It's good, because it indicates that both you and I don't have a problem with our cars. Its a bad sign, since it appears there is nothing wrong with our cars, which means there is little hope for a fix or to make it better. I can understand Lexus' position to play it safe or conservative with respect to the amount of fuel left in reserve when the "low fuel" indicator comes on. I find it very disappointing however that they can't do better than trigger the "low fuel" light with over 22% of the fuel still in there. Even worse, is their inability to provide a little more accurate DTE once the "low fuel" light does comes on. Mine came on with DTE = 8 miles! And once the DTE=0, I could probably drive another 50+ miles! That's poor design. If they are going to leave ~22% of the fuel when the "low fuel" light comes on, at least give us a more accurate (and more usable) DTE. On the bright side... At least my car isn't accelerating on it's own!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

To test the reserve capacity I threw my gas can in the back and drove 40 miles after the cruising range indicated 0 miles. At that point my average mileage was indicating 13 MPG and I filled up putting 23.0 gallons in the car. I believe this validates that the cruising range and gas light are overly conservative and that with city driving (13 mpg) you will be able to drive at a minimum 40 miles after cruising range equals 0.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

DTE readings are not reliable (as your manual says). Zero DTE basically prompts you to top up, while you have some safe margin of fuel. Yes, DTE is designed to be conservative and this is for a reason.

The reason is to help you avoid problems by completely draining your tank.

People use to believe that if you're empty and add some fuel, the car will start. NO. If you add fuel to a COMPLETELY drained tank, you'll have to wait (maybe > an hour) and play with ignition, etc. for the fuel to get through the system - before you can start the car.

Hence, I sympathize Lexus' "conservative" DTE policy here.

In addition to my previous post:

Found one experience of having completely drained the tank on the Russian Lexus Forum. This led to: fuel filter replacement (from own experience, though on GX470, you need to remove the fuel tank to replace the filter; oh, yeah, this car is designed to be serviced by a dealer!) + replace sparks + fuel system cleaning + smth else. I can only guess how much this may cost.

Hi guys. Call me crazy, but after careful due diligence and research, I can not figure out what all the hand wringing and gloom and doom is all about.

Surely the LX can't be the only car you've ever owned with a low fuel/tank reserve feature. ALL Lexus automobiles have very conservative tank reserves, and for some customers it drives them crazy. Others, like it because they know that unless they are incrediby stupid, they will have ample warning in time to find a gas station.

I can't afford an LX, so I am content with my humble ES350. My ES has a 18.5 gallon tank. When the low fuel warning light comes on there is 2 1/2 gallons left in the tank. Some times.....For some reason, known only to the Toyota lord's, the low fuel ligt will come on when the tank still has 4-5 gallons left. Yes, that can be a hassle some times,zzzzzzzzzzz

My un-asked for opinion is to error on the side of having more Petrol left in the tank than you will end up needing, But I don't get why that seems to be a bad thing for some.

Have a great weekend everyone.

• 1 month later...

I get to refuel more often due to the low fuel light glaring at me, it's hard to ignore. I get only 275 to 300 miles before the light comes on, I should be able to drive at least 350 to 375 miles before having to refuel.

• 8 months later...

strong1993, are you getting 300 miles for a tank? You are extremely lucky - I only get 350-400 km with a full tank!

Never heard before of anyone making 300 miles!

Be sure, you are the luckiest one on the planet!

• 1 month later...

True range should be 340-380 miles depending on driving habits and conditions. I think the typical average fuel mileage is around 14-16 mpg. We have almost 25 gallon capacity. So to be conservative, use 24 gallons x14 mpg is 336 mile range.

I had a 2010 Land Cruiser for several years and now have a 2011 LX and both seem to base there DTE based on a 19-20 gallon tank when we really have closer to a 25 gallon tank. I find it pretty annoying and somewhat stressful when that light is on and the display says 0 DTE.

Even though I know I have another 50-75 miles, its still annoying to have something telling you your out of gas when your really not in danger of running out.

I don't believe that Lexus is the only group doing the conservative low fuel treatment. Once while driving my Frontier on the Jersey Turnpike and my light came on. Drove about 12 miles to a service plaza and behold, all the pumps were closed due to some digging up activity. Then I got back on and drove to the next plaza with the light on. Needless to say I was up on the wheel and doing everything I could to conserve. Truck holds 15.5 gallons, took about 13.5.

I agree with you, I've had other vehicles that warned of low fuel too early. My wife's Audi Q7 has one gallon left when the DTE is showing zero miles left, consistently.

I get 17 MPG on the highway driving 75 MPH and about 16.5 driving 80 MPH.

The low fuel warning light coming on with 5 gallons left is really fine with me. It is the DTE 0 miles displaying when you really have 5 gallons still in the tank meaning it says 0 when reality is there is 50-80 miles to empty. That is what I don't like. To me that just creates unneeded stress. I know they can't pin it down to the exact mile you will run out. But ever other car I have owned gets it a lot closer then the LX/LC 200.