Antenna Replacement Problem

hrhino2

so I'm doing the antenna replacement on my wife's 2002 RX300. I got it all taken apart, took the old broken piece of the plastic rack out of the motor housing, put it all back together, and now I can't get the new rack to feed back into the motor? I have the teeth facing forward, I can insert the new plastic rack about 6 inches, but from there nothing happens when we turn the key off in an attempt to get the motor to retrack the rack/antenna. it feels like the rack just "bottoms out" when i insert it into the motor housing, but does not "grab" onto anything. do I need to take the motor back out and open it up and reinspect it or am I doing something wrong? thanks...

so I'm doing the antenna replacement on my wife's 2002 RX300. I got it all taken apart, took the old broken piece of the plastic rack out of the motor housing, put it all back together, and now I can't get the new rack to feed back into the motor? I have the teeth facing forward, I can insert the new plastic rack about 6 inches, but from there nothing happens when we turn the key off in an attempt to get the motor to retrack the rack/antenna. it feels like the rack just "bottoms out" when i insert it into the motor housing, but does not "grab" onto anything. do I need to take the motor back out and open it up and reinspect it or am I doing something wrong? thanks...

I've replaced 2 of them due to my own negligence.

push the plastic line into the motor and press the off button on the radio to retract the antenae. It may take a time ro two to get it right,

if the motor is not operating, you most likely have done it but check you connections and alway the fuse. You may have grounded the motor with the key on.

I've replaced 2 of them due to my own negligence.

push the plastic line into the motor and press the off button on the radio to retract the antenae. It may take a time ro two to get it right,

if the motor is not operating, you most likely have done it but check you connections and alway the fuse. You may have grounded the motor with the key on.

thanks for the quick reply! I can hear the motor running, so it's not that- I just can't get the rack to "feed" into the motor housing far enough for the gears to "grab" it and pull it into the housing when we turn the radio off. How far does the rack have to feed into the housing before it is inserted far enough? Can you feel it slip into a "slot" or something or does it just fit "loosely" into the housing? thanks again!

About 4" from the motor entrance there is a further reduction of the feed area. This may be the problem, I've found that taking the last 3" of the nylon and bending it away from the curl will help straighten it. Take a flashlight and look down the tube and you'll see what I mean.

About 4" from the motor entrance there is a further reduction of the feed area. This may be the problem, I've found that taking the last 3" of the nylon and bending it away from the curl will help straighten it. Take a flashlight and look down the tube and you'll see what I mean.

thanks, blueridge! you were right on the mark- once I got it past that smaller area, it went right in with no problem!