Rx400h Tire Options

Jim,

Rey lives in Los Angeles and as in my case, does not need to worry about having to use all-season tires. The temps here rarely dip below 45 degrees. How long has the Parada Spec been out? I was under the impression that it is a relatively new tire and thus, does not have many reviews - at least that I've seen.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that MIchelin Mxv4s come in either the 235/55 18" or the size that I have now (and preferred) 255/55 18".

I looked at the tire calculator and the Michelin Primacy mxv4 seems to be the best for my RX400h...living in L.A. this is the best tire for me. The tire calculator tells me that the size available as a very near match is 225/60 18" which is just about the same....about 1MPH differential and no one would see the difference. It is slightly smaller in diameter to the tires that I have now,255/55 but a little bigger than the stock 235/55. So for anyone that might consider the Michelin Primacy Mxv4, get the 225/60 18". I saw them at Discount Tire (L.A. only?) for $180 but you get $70 off on a four tire purchase (sale as of March 2010). I hope this helps. I don't know if Discount Tires is just a California company.

That makes sense, yes, but then why does the Parada have the same UTQG whether it's an H rated or a V rated model?

The wear rating on either the H or the V is 420 and the traction rating is AA

This is rare, indeed but in any case, you still can't compare that 420 treadwear rating to one published by any other manufacturer.

Consumer reports does include treadwear comparisons in their ratings and they show the V-rated Versado getting a "worse-than-average" rating while the T-rated Versado achieved a "much better-than-average" rating.

The Michelin MXV4 achieved a better-than-average rating in the H category.

You're right. And according to this

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=48

the treadwear rating doesn't really seem to mean much, unfortunately.

Jim,

Rey lives in Los Angeles and as in my case, does not need to worry about having to use all-season tires. The temps here rarely dip below 45 degrees. How long has the Parada Spec been out? I was under the impression that it is a relatively new tire and thus, does not have many reviews - at least that I've seen.

The Parada Spec-X is relatively new but there are over 1 million miles now reported in the reviews at Tirerack. They're popular with truck and SUV owners but they are not an off-road tire. It's the tire Gryphon chose and probably the one I will choose to replace the crappy Michelin MXV4 S8's than came on our RX.

The ExtremeContact DWS is even newer. If it's as good as the ContiExtremeContact it replaced, it should be a very good tire.

Another tire to consider for the RX is the General Exclaim UHP. Most online sellers show it as an all-season tire and it has a M+S rating. Tirerack lists it as a summer tire because they think the rubber compounds used are not good in freezing temperatures. It is a popular and highly rated tire with over 14 million miles reported in the reviews. It is also very inexpensive.

Jim,

The Parada Spec-X is relatively new but there are over 1 million miles now reported in the reviews at Tirerack. They're popular with truck and SUV owners but they are not an off-road tire. It's the tire Gryphon chose and probably the one I will choose to replace the crappy Michelin MXV4 S8's than came on our RX.

The ExtremeContact DWS is even newer. If it's as good as the ContiExtremeContact it replaced, it should be a very good tire.

Another tire to consider for the RX is the General Exclaim UHP. Most online sellers show it as an all-season tire and it has a M+S rating. Tirerack lists it as a summer tire because they think the rubber compounds used are not good in freezing temperatures. It is a popular and highly rated tire with over 14 million miles reported in the reviews. It is also very inexpensive.

Is the "crappy" Michelin MXV s8's that you are referring to different than the ones that I want to get? I am considering,(top of my short list), the Michelin Primacy MXV4. From everything that I have read, this is a great tire. I hope the one that you mentioned is different....Rey

I think the Primacy MXV4 is different from the Energy MXV4 s8, which is what some RXs came with. The Energy MXV4 s8 is V rated and comes in a 235/55/18 which is the OE size. The Primacy does not come in 235/55/18, and the nearest size 225/60/18 is H rated.

I think the Primacy MXV4 is different from the Energy MXV4 s8, which is what some RXs came with. The Energy MXV4 s8 is V rated and comes in a 235/55/18 which is the OE size. The Primacy does not come in 235/55/18, and the nearest size 225/60/18 is H rated.

Yes, that's the one that I really want! You are also correct about the size....I checked with the tire calculator and the 225/60 is very close to OEM...Smaller than my 255/55 and a wee bit bigger (1/4" all around) than the OEM 235/55. I didn't think that I was going to even consider Michelin, so pricy, but the Primacy MXV4 just has such great reviews no matter where I look, I just had to take a closer look and research. I have to reiterate once again, that I NEVER have driven in snow, ever, and being in L.A. I don't know about weather conditions other than mild. I have never gone off road, never think I will need to so please take all of this into consideration. Our rainy season is minimal so I think this tire sounds perfect...for me.

We do occasionally get torrential downpours during Winter months, but the majority of tires out now are very competant on wet roads.

By the way, Rey, did you check the difference in cross-sectional width? I would think that the 225s would be narrower than the stock 235s.

We do occasionally get torrential downpours during Winter months, but the majority of tires out now are very competant on wet roads.

By the way, Rey, did you check the difference in cross-sectional width? I would think that the 225s would be narrower than the stock 235s.

Yes, they are narrower but by about a half an inch to maybe 3/4". It doesn't seem to be too much different. This is OK, isn't it? It is almost a full inch narrower than the 10" Toyos that I have now...255/55. I really don't think that it will be very noticeable but if this is a concern, please let me know and why. Thanks a million. You are correct, even up here in L.A. we had a "wet" season...for us. It was more in the foothill areas like La Canada...but then they also had the terrible fires last summer and that is why the rains devastated that area so badly. I am in an upscale area like they are but not with the problems that they have living up against the mountains. Thanks for the help. Rey in very warm and sunny L.A..

Yes, they are narrower but by about a half an inch to maybe 3/4". It doesn't seem to be too much different. This is OK, isn't it? It is almost a full inch narrower than the 10" Toyos that I have now...255/55. I really don't think that it will be very noticeable but if this is a concern, please let me know and why. Thanks a million. You are correct, even up here in L.A. we had a "wet" season...for us. It was more in the foothill areas like La Canada...but then they also had the terrible fires last summer and that is why the rains devastated that area so badly. I am in an upscale area like they are but not with the problems that they have living up against the mountains. Thanks for the help. Rey in very warm and sunny L.A..

I would not want to run narrower tires than stock unless you were doing it for snow reasons (winter tire).

But as long as the narrow tire has the same or better load and speed ratings as OEM tire, then you are probably OK.

I would not want to run narrower tires than stock unless you were doing it for snow reasons (winter tire).

But as long as the narrow tire has the same or better load and speed ratings as OEM tire, then you are probably OK.

I agree about the load rating. The narrower width may look odd, especially if you currently have 255s. Still, there's no doubt in my mind that those are excellent tires.

I agree about the load rating. The narrower width may look odd, especially if you currently have 255s. Still, there's no doubt in my mind that those are excellent tires.

The stock 235's barely look wide enough for the RX. Going from 255's to 225's, I don't think you'll be happy with the looks.

Check out the ratings at Tirerack for the various sizes that can be put on the RX.

The stock 235's barely look wide enough for the RX. Going from 255's to 225's, I don't think you'll be happy with the looks.

Check out the ratings at Tirerack for the various sizes that can be put on the RX.

I can just go back to putting the Kumho Road Venture APT KL51s back on top of the list and get the 255/55 again. No big woop.

Rey, those are considered truck tires and are rated "much worse than average" for tread life. Fortunately, they ARE better than average in most other performance categories.

I admit that this is a tough decision!

Jim, I decided to go with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X but they are backordered for about a month from Discount Tire. I went in and prepaid, although not required, to make sure that there would be no "amnesia" regarding the price match. I am not in a big hurry since I have adequate tread wear left on my Michelins.

I will report back when I get the Yokos installed.

Tom

This appears to be a V-rated tire. Is that correct? If so, expect tread life to be quite a bit less than that of an H-rated all-season tire.

Yes the Parada Spec-X is a V-rated tire, as was the OEM Michelin. As far as I know all OEM tires were V-rated oj 400h's. I do not believe in downgrading speed ratings on a vehicle whose suspension was designed for a V-rated tire. There are many factors other than tread wear involved in speed ratings, particularly sidewall stiffness.

The Yoko's are on but I have yet to check the pressures myself and will report my feelings shortly.

Tom

Jim, I decided to go with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X but they are backordered for about a month from Discount Tire. I went in and prepaid, although not required, to make sure that there would be no "amnesia" regarding the price match. I am not in a big hurry since I have adequate tread wear left on my Michelins.

Tom

This appears to be a V-rated tire. Is that correct? If so, expect tread life to be quite a bit less than that of an H-rated all-season tire.

Yes the Parada Spec-X is a V-rated tire, as was the OEM Michelin. As far as I know all OEM tires were V-rated oj 400h's. I do not believe in downgrading speed ratings on a vehicle whose suspension was designed for a V-rated tire. There are many factors other than tread wear involved in speed ratings, particularly sidewall stiffness.

The Yoko's are on but I have yet to check the pressures myself and will report my feelings shortly.

Tom

You'll need to give them about 500 miles to wear off the protective coating that manufacturers put on new tires, they might be a little slick during that time. Many V-rated tires have good tread life, especially the newer ones. I don't really care about tread life. The RX is now our 3rd car, the wife has a new Prius for commuting and I prefer to drive my BMW.

BTW, I notice you have a 968 Cab, nice car. That was one of the finalists when I chose to get my BMW 330Cic. Although the 968 could fit 2 sets of clubs and enough baggage for a long weekend, the BMW had more room and the top fit under an automatic cover. A 944 Turbo hard-top was another choice. It had a Broadfoot re-build and some modifications that brought the HP up to 300+, it was very quick, would have been a good track car. 944 Turbos can be pushed to around 450 HP (pretty impressive for a 4 cylinder engine) and can take on 911 Turbos, but at that HP the engines don't last very long. I had a stock 944 in the '80's, probably my favorite car. Cruise all day at 110 comfortably, got a little squirrelly at 120+.

The Z-rated tires on the 944 didn't last very long, LOL.

Why don't you just get a tire in the OE size - 235/55/18?

[/quote

I love the slightly bigger and wider tire, it seems to my eye to look better on the RX. I can easily go back to the 235 size though depending on the tire, if the 255 wasn't available. Just a personal thing. Rey

I take that back....every time I look at an RX with 235/55...they just don't look as good as my 255/55.

Tom

Having a V-rated tire on a 4600-lb vehicle whose suspension was really not designed for handling is overkill and unnessarry. IMO. The 60,000 mile rating of the Bridgestone Alenzas is a joke, as there is little chance that those tires can come anywhere close to that mileage. H-rated tires often provide a smoother ride and longer tread life, so I would not rule them out as replacement tires. A quick check with a Tirerack rep confirmed that almost all tires in the size required for our vehicles have more than adequate load capability.

The Tirerack rep highly recommended the Michelin Lattitude Tour if ride comfort and low noise are top-priority requirements. It is T-rated (118 MPH max), but I don't think the RX400h can surpass that speed, anyway.

The Tirerack rep highly recommended the Michelin Lattitude Tour if ride comfort and low noise are top-priority requirements. It is T-rated (118 MPH max), but I don't think the RX400h can surpass that speed, anyway.

My wife has a 2010 Equinox. The Michelin Latitude Tour is the OE tire on that vehicle. Having driven it a fair amount since she got it in December, I can say that the Latitude Tour is very quiet and the handling of the vehicle is actually quite good (that may have more to do with suspension design/geometry though). The tires have performed quite well in rain, and were 'acceptable' in the snow (I'm used to winter tires on my RX, so consider that a biased rating). I notice that Michelin also has the Latitude Tour HP. Not sure what the difference is...

**edit** The Latitude Tour HP has a lower treadwear rating 440 vs 700, (higher traction rating AA vs AB on the regular Latitude Tour, has higher speed ratings - H and V depending on size vs T, however, does not come in a 235/55/18 (yet??) so the closest size would be 235/60/18.

If the Tours far oulast the HPs and yet still provide decent handling, why not save some money? It would be nice if the Tirerack had compared the two so that they could let us know whether there is a significant steering response difference. I'm not as concerned about the speed rating, but if the steering resposnse slows down noticably, I may stick with H or V-rated tires. Decisions, decisions.......

Tom

Tom

You'll need to give them about 500 miles to wear off the protective coating that manufacturers put on new tires, they might be a little slick during that time. Many V-rated tires have good tread life, especially the newer ones. I don't really care about tread life. The RX is now our 3rd car, the wife has a new Prius for commuting and I prefer to drive my BMW.

BTW, I notice you have a 968 Cab, nice car. That was one of the finalists when I chose to get my BMW 330Cic. Although the 968 could fit 2 sets of clubs and enough baggage for a long weekend, the BMW had more room and the top fit under an automatic cover. A 944 Turbo hard-top was another choice. It had a Broadfoot re-build and some modifications that brought the HP up to 300+, it was very quick, would have been a good track car. 944 Turbos can be pushed to around 450 HP (pretty impressive for a 4 cylinder engine) and can take on 911 Turbos, but at that HP the engines don't last very long. I had a stock 944 in the '80's, probably my favorite car. Cruise all day at 110 comfortably, got a little squirrelly at 120+.

The Z-rated tires on the 944 didn't last very long, LOL.

Hey Jim. Yes I am a huge fan of the Porsche 968. Unfortunately even prinstine examples such as mine (36K, triple-black, showroom condition) have suffered a terrible hit in value--about 50% less than a few years ago. Why such an unusual, limited production car, has not become a collectible puzzles me.

I once put some stickily Z-rated tires on a Porsche 928. They were barely soiled before they were worn out.

Tom

Tom

Having a V-rated tire on a 4600-lb vehicle whose suspension was really not designed for handling is overkill and unnessarry. IMO. The 60,000 mile rating of the Bridgestone Alenzas is a joke, as there is little chance that those tires can come anywhere close to that mileage. H-rated tires often provide a smoother ride and longer tread life, so I would not rule them out as replacement tires. A quick check with a Tirerack rep confirmed that almost all tires in the size required for our vehicles have more than adequate load capability.

I would strongly disagree with your opinion of V-rated tires on a 4600 pound vehicle as overkill. Vehicle suspension ARE designed for certain speed rated tires. Weight rating is probably one of the least important parameters unless you go out of your way to buy tires that are rated lower than the dead weight of the vehicle (divided by 4 obviously).

One of the most dramatic transformation I ever experienced on a vehicle was when I upgraded the tires on my 98 GMC Yukon 4x4 to a higher speed rated tire. It is still not a sports car but the improvement in high speed handling (eg accident avoidance) was amazing.

Tom

What I meant to say is for most people. Obviously, if you tend to drive your SUV in a similar manner as you do a sportscar, you will feel the difference, but anyone who lives in or near a large city knows that handling characteristics mean nothing when you're cruising along at 30-50 MPH on heavily-congested streets. And being that population density is far greater around large cities, I think it's safe to say that the majority of non-retired owners "see" average speeds of well under 50 MPH. I believe my average speed is 35.

What I meant to say is for most people. Obviously, if you tend to drive your SUV in a similar manner as you do a sportscar, you will feel the difference, but anyone who lives in or near a large city knows that handling characteristics mean nothing when you're cruising along at 30-50 MPH on heavily-congested streets. And being that population density is far greater around large cities, I think it's safe to say that the majority of non-retired owners "see" average speeds of well under 50 MPH. I believe my average speed is 35.

I agree 99%, but there is the occasional high-speed avoidance maneuver that we all hope will never happen.

Nice day.

Tom