Rx400h Tire Options

There has been quite a bit mentioned over the last few years in various posts on replacement tire options and sizes for our 400hs. Perhaps we could gather these opinions and into a new dedicated thread.

Please add your comments, opinions, experiences, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the goodyear eagles that were oem on my 400h were like an open sore, the michelins i replaced them with are like a scab that grew over the sore, you want me to pick at the scab Tom? Just kidding, many of us are passionate about different tire solutions, i am happy with the michelins they are better in the snow than the goodyears (what isnt) and they have a more durable wear rating.

For the most part, our Bridgestone Alenzas have been great tires. At about 32,000 miles, they are just starting to growl a bit. There is still a decent amount of tread left. I may try a different, yet still highly-rated brand the next time I need tires.

Try researching on Tirerack.com.

Input the vehicle and tire size to see your options. There are MANY reviews there, often representing millions of miles of use. They summarize the ratings by category of tire.

I'm currently looking to replace the OEM Michelins that came on the car, especially after a recent winter driving experience that actually scared me.

My current top three options are the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, the Yokohama Parada Spec-X, and the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas. They are all highly rated in their categories and are all considered to be all seasons with at least reasonable snow capabilities.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Yokohamas but have not made a decision.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking seriously about the Alenza based on RXRey's input as well as others but the Yokohama Parada Spec-X looks really good to me right now. I found them as cheap as $135.62 each online and plan on letting Discount Tire match the price.

Tom

Hello Tom and everyone out there in Lexiland...

I have had my Toyo Proxes S/Ts for three years now, 30 thousand miles and they still look new. I like the 255/55 18" size. They are just slightly bigger than the OEMs but look like the right size rather than the 235/55s. Anyway, Toyo has a new version of the S/T and feel that they are an amazing tire. I do not want to get the Alenzas. I am thinking that if I go away from Toyo, I have researched tires for a while now, and feel that I would really like to try the:

Kumho Road Venture KL51. Tiretrack doesn't rate Toyos, they don't sell them, but I feel they are better than the Alenzas from statements from people in tire review forums and car forums other than ours. I have only heard great things about the Kumhos so I will get those or possibly the new Toyo Proxes S/Ts. I think that I will keep the 255/55 18" size though. I think that I may not have an option though with the Kumhos...I am not sure if they make the 255/55 18" but I do know that they make the 235/55 18"s. Anyone have Kumho Road Venture KL51s? I think that I still have about a year left in these Toyo tires which will put them at around 40K miles. RXRey in L.A.

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking seriously about the Alenza based on RXRey's input as well as others but the Yokohama Parada Spec-X looks really good to me right now. I found them as cheap as $135.62 each online and plan on letting Discount Tire match the price.

Tom

I assume you meant letting a local Discount Tire store match the price. Don't forget to figure in shipping.

I installed Alenzas (255 x 55 x 18s) on our 2007. They are absolutely superb tires and transformed the car dramatically.

I am sure there are many appropriate tires to be had.

Insofar as TireRack not selling one or another brand, it's likely a distribution issue. But considering the rather significant number of "miles reviewed" on TireRack for the Alenzas, one of two conclusions can be drawn...

- they are pretty damn good

- everyone who bought them made a mistake and won't admit it. ;-)

Pick one.

regards,

patrick

I haven't ruled out Alenzas but there are many people that didn't like them in other forums so I will keep researching and getting all of your opinions. The Kumhos are at the top of my list. So far everyone that has them loves them. They seem to be highly rated in many respects including the quiet factor, which is very important to me. The Alenzas seem to not be great later on...but then maybe every tire is like that. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the Alenzas were an improvement over your last tires as far as MPGs? Thanks for the great advice everyone....Rey in L.A.

Tom

I assume you meant letting a local Discount Tire store match the price. Don't forget to figure in shipping.

In many cases, the Tirerack will not charge for tax, which can be almost 9% of the cost, depending upon which state you live in.

I just bought a couple of Goodyear GSD3 tires for the Corvette. Discount tire could not match the Tirerack price, but they were close enough that I went with them.

Tom

Yes, Jim, shipping is a factor. but it offsets local sales tax. Because of this Discount matches the prices without consideration for shipping.

Tom

Tom

Yes, Jim, shipping is a factor. but it offsets local sales tax. Because of this Discount matches the prices without consideration for shipping.

Tom

Tom,

Did you make a decision? If you got the Paradas, I'd be very interested in an opinion.

Jim, I decided to go with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X but they are backordered for about a month from Discount Tire. I went in and prepaid, although not required, to make sure that there would be no "amnesia" regarding the price match. I am not in a big hurry since I have adequate tread wear left on my Michelins.

I will report back when I get the Yokos installed.

Tom

Jim, I decided to go with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X but they are backordered for about a month from Discount Tire. I went in and prepaid, although not required, to make sure that there would be no "amnesia" regarding the price match. I am not in a big hurry since I have adequate tread wear left on my Michelins.

I will report back when I get the Yokos installed.

Tom

This appears to be a V-rated tire. Is that correct? If so, expect tread life to be quite a bit less than that of an H-rated all-season tire.

What does speed rating have to do with the tread life? Speed rating is a measure of how well the tire stands up to heat (the higher the speed, the more heat generated) and is usually indicated by a greater sidewall stiffness. Anyway, just checked and V or H rated, the UTQG is the same for the Parada - 420 AA, which is actually more than some of the Yokohama all season H rated truck tires.

Almost universally (among same manufacturer's tires), a higher speed rating means shorter tire life. This is not because of the speed capability of the tire; rather, most higher speed-rated tires have stickier rubber compounds. you'll notice that tires having the highest mileage guarantees are all in the lower speed rating categories.

In addition, you cannot compare tread wear ratings among different manufacturers, since there is no global "standard" to which the ratings are calculated. As a general rule-of-thumb, an H-rated tire will outlast a V, Z, or W-rated tire quite handily.

That makes sense, yes, but then why does the Parada have the same UTQG whether it's an H rated or a V rated model?

The wear rating on either the H or the V is 420 and the traction rating is AA

I'll add a topic not seen in this thread yet. My wife has a 2006 RX-400H with 37,000 miles. within the next couple of thousand miles we are going to have to get new tires.

We live in Florida, during the summer it rains almost every day. What is a good Rain Tire?

Lenny

I looked into the tires mentioned(Michelin Primacy Mxv4) and I think that I am either getting the Kumho Road Venture APT LK51 or now I am really impressed with the reviews on the Michelin Primacy Mxv4 tires...even though the price is pretty high. I live in SoCal so extreme weather isn't a factor. I have about a year so keep giving opinions everyone! Rey

I don't think that MIchelin Mxv4s come in either the 235/55 18" or the size that I have now (and preferred) 255/55 18".

They make 225/60 18" which is very close to the same diameter...about 1/4" all around bigger.

That makes sense, yes, but then why does the Parada have the same UTQG whether it's an H rated or a V rated model?

The wear rating on either the H or the V is 420 and the traction rating is AA

This is rare, indeed but in any case, you still can't compare that 420 treadwear rating to one published by any other manufacturer.

Consumer reports does include treadwear comparisons in their ratings and they show the V-rated Versado getting a "worse-than-average" rating while the T-rated Versado achieved a "much better-than-average" rating.

The Michelin MXV4 achieved a better-than-average rating in the H category.

I don't think that MIchelin Mxv4s come in either the 235/55 18" or the size that I have now (and preferred) 255/55 18".

Rey,

You might want to check out either the Continental ContiExtremeContact (235/55/18 - much better-than-average tread life and rolling resistance and better-than-average comfort and noise) or if handling is an ultimate priority, the Goodyear GSD3s in 255/55/18 (I have these-wider profile- on the Corvette and they are AMAZING on dry and wet roads). They won't last as long as the Contis, however.

lwleedy,

Just about every Michelin performs well when it comes to hydroplaning.

Rey,

You might want to check out either the Continental ContiExtremeContact (235/55/18 - much better-than-average tread life and rolling resistance and better-than-average comfort and noise) or if handling is an ultimate priority, the Goodyear GSD3s in 255/55/18 (I have these-wider profile- on the Corvette and they are AMAZING on dry and wet roads). They won't last as long as the Contis, however.

lwleedy,

I am so much more interested in the ride comfort, little rolling resistance and long tread life...I'll look into the Continental...thanks! Rey

Rey,

lwleedy,

The ContiExtremeContact was replaced by the ExtremeContact DWS. Some people have reported noise problems with the DWS and some people feel the sidewalls are too soft (mostly the performance car people) but most people are very happy with them. They are rated #1 in the Ultra High Performance All Season category. They are W rated.

I wouldn't put GSD3s on an RX, those tires are meant for sports cars and are a summer tire.

Scroll up to see the 3 finalists I came up with. Right now, the Yokohama Parada Spec-X is my 1st choice.