Plastic Cover On The Bottom

LEXLVR07

today i was driving and there was a lot of snow on the ground and the plastic came off from the bottom...actually the bottom didnt rip off it kind of is half broken so basically I need a new one can you guys tell me a website or a store where i can replace it and get a cheap one. Thanks in advance i dont know what the name of this is called but its on the bottom of the engine.

Why bother replacing it? I think its purpose is more cosmetic than functional. Maybe some thermal management purpose but I doubt the car will suddenly die without it.
I agree. On both of the LSs I've had, this cover has been damaged beyond repair while going down the road. I hate these damn things, so I was happy to see them go! The car runs and performs the same with or without the cover.

It's a splash guard, to protect any electrical components of your engine from splashing water, and other debris...it's a personal choice to replace it or not. IMHO, I would put one back just because I feel safer that there is something down there to protect the underbody.

i feel like i know the car would still run the same but i would feel better if i had it there so i am gonna check that website out to see how much it costs. I know it would be fine but what about if you go in water and it touches something electrical?? i mean it could cause a problem right??

i feel like i know the car would still run the same but i would feel better if i had it there so i am gonna check that website out to see how much it costs. I know it would be fine but what about if you go in water and it touches something electrical?? i mean it could cause a problem right??

.I 've seen some cars just plain stall due to owners like running over long stretch of deep puddle with speed...there's a wrecked/salvaged LS400 on ebay selling it for parts...check it out. It don't have to be new, just make sure all the holes are intact for mounting.

Hello:

I feel the car is less noisy with it on.

You probably can make it as long as the plastic is hard plastic, since it will be exposed to a lot of heat from the LS Engine.

I wonder if its possible to make one from a big plastic sheet.

Each to his own. Mods are generally done to improve certain aspects of a car's performance. Removing engine undercover or deciding not to replace one that has been damaged is a mod. Imo, this mod doesn't improve or benefit the car in any way that I can see. The engine undercover has been designed to protect the engine, hoses, belts, etc., and direct airflow. By removing it, you're just exposing the engine to any water/debris (salt, stones, pieces of metal, grit, grease, road kill, etc) that the front wheels kick up from the road. The last thing I want to happen in the backcountry is to find my S belt has been broken or knocked off the pulleys by some animal parts.

Each to his own. Mods are generally done to improve certain aspects of a car's performance. Removing engine undercover or deciding not to replace one that has been damaged is a mod. Imo, this mod doesn't improve or benefit the car in any way that I can see. The engine undercover has been designed to protect the engine, hoses, belts, etc., and direct airflow. By removing it, you're just exposing the engine to any water/debris (salt, stones, pieces of metal, grit, grease, road kill, etc) that the front wheels kick up from the road. The last thing I want to happen in the backcountry is to find my S belt has been broken or knocked off the pulleys by some animal parts.

Good price for this one. Dealer's price is $225.00. They say it is a replacement so maybe not OEM, but if it fits, why not. Good return policy if it doesn't fit and they pay shipping back to them. I wouldn't drive without one. Why expose you engine to the hazzards and really, if you are driving a Lexus I feel you are driving the best. Lexus wouldn't of put it there without a reason.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENGINE-SPLA...ccessories#shId

Good price for this one. Dealer's price is $225.00. They say it is a replacement so maybe not OEM, but if it fits, why not. Good return policy if it doesn't fit and they pay shipping back to them. I wouldn't drive without one. Why expose you engine to the hazzards and really, if you are driving a Lexus I feel you are driving the best. Lexus wouldn't of put it there without a reason.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENGINE-SPLA...ccessories#shId

I have mine intact on my LS but my Celica one flew off the freeway, I just haven't got around replacing it, I do however avoid puddles when it rains....most modern cars have them, domestic or import.

If you're driving through water, sand, or other debris, I would suggest replacing it. I don't have one though because as it's been said, mine was destroyed from abuse already as most are. You can easily make a replacement one out of tin or sheetmetal if you'd really like to be serious, and cut an access hole for the oil filter or even make a removable panel. I did that on my car that I race, but the Lexus is daily driven and doesn't go through swamps or deserts so I don't feel it's worth the effort. Plus if you're worried about light water intrusion you shouldn't ever wash the car either. The engine is meant to be washed gently once in a while and everything is water safe to a point, a little puddle splash from below it's going to damage or short out anything.