Torque Converter

BlackSC4

JPI, if you can get it to a reasonable price, i'd like to complete the transaction ASAP. get back to me. thanks.

and for the other sc400 owners, i shall tell you whether the highly praised dragon TC is worth the effort and money.

the t/c is a really good thing but it is more for later on in a build up

i would belive intelex as they know alot of the good the bad and the crap parts as they have tried them all.

but it is only good after an exhuast and all the minor upgrades as it would include removal of the transmission just to put it in. A whole lot of money for .5 secs on a built motor not stock

so 899 plus install is a whole lot of cash

it would be better to get an upgraded tranny at the same time but only if you were doing alot of dragging

buy some good suspension,wheels or a big brake supra TT kit and you would spend the money much better

oh yah or a nice jic titanium exhuast

well i found a cheaper place to get the dragon torque converters if anyone else are interested: jdsperformance.com.

jdsperformance.com also had in their description of stall speeds and adjusting them. my knowledge of that is minimal to none, i was wondering if anyone else knew a thing or two about them. thanks

Torque Converter - A turbine used to transmit power from a driving member to a driven member via hydraulic action, providing changes in drive ratio and torque. In automotive use, it links the drive plate at the rear of the engine to the automatic transmission.

Check How Stuff Works for a writeup on how torque converters actually work.

anyone contacted protorque about torque convertors?

http://www.protorque.com/

http://www.protorque.com/shopping/shopdisp...=Toyota%2FLexus

PTC-T044SSLEX 90-99 LEXUS GS/LS/SC

Approx Stall Speed: 300 - 800 ABOVE

Rated HP:

Price:

$425.00

might be a cheaper alternative? if you don't want to get one they do have some cool info on their site about TCs.

just throwing it out there...and SK if this is too stupid to post then just let me know so i can just delete it so i can save you the frustrating of reading my babble.

BlackSC4,

My "understanding" of torque converters and stall speeds is that you can rev the engine with the transmission in N to the given TC stall speed (RPM) then shift the transmission into gear without stalling the engine. This is important for cars at the drag strip since higher RPM launches can result in faster times. I'm not really clear on the benefit of higher TC stall speeds for "normal" driving. If this explanation is incorrect I'd appreciate a proper explanation as well.

:)

k9, i have a buddy that is taking automotive classes and he's been ripping engines and trannies apart and reassembling them for the last 2 years. he explained to me that higher stall speeds is basically just lagging the torque converter to kick into gear later than sooner, so you get a better launch. <---his own words. he advise to me that if i slam on the brakes and the gas, then releasing the brake, the car will act similarly. how true is that? i have no idea, but to try it out myself. im still waiting on a better deal, as JPI never came back to this post to give me a price. and besides, i just got a 95mph speeding ticket which is costing me $300+. the worst part is that the cop said he caught me at 91mph but he said i was heading for 100mph+ so he wrote me a ticket for 95mph. what can i do, right? so when i can gather enough cash to get the torque converter, i will discuss this with better acurracy.

BlackSC4,

Here's some interesting reading ...

"What You Need To Know About Torque Converters - Content provided by Summit Racing Tech Support

Nothing about torque converters is more misunderstood than stall speed. Stall speed is directly related to the amount of torque your engine produces--the more torque, the higher the stall speed. For example, a converter with a 2,800 to 3,200 rpm rating might provide approximately 2,800 rpm of stall speed behind a mild small block V8, but about 5,000 rpm behind a big block making 800-plus ft.-lbs. of torque. If you don't know your engine's torque rating, you cannot establish the converter's stall speed.

That leads to perhaps the biggest problem people have when buying a converter: stall speed ratings. While most converter manufacturers list stall speed ranges, those numbers are very, very general guidelines; true stall speed is impossible to measure due to vehicle variables. The time-honored method of testing a converter's stall speed--holding the brake and revving the engine while in gear--doesn't work, primarily because the tires will spin before you reach the converter's stall rpm.

The biggest complaint about converters centers on a stall speed that is too low. The problem is usually a lack of low-end torque, but there are other variables that can contribute to lower stall speeds, including the following:

Low vehicle weight

Small displacement engine

Very low compression ratio

Long duration camshafts

Retarded cam timing

Heat is the biggest enemy of your converter and transmission. Stepping up to a higher stall converter can impose higher loads and create more heat, so proper cooling is essential. We strongly recommend a high capacity transmission cooler to protect your converter and transmission from damage".

:)

put it this way a tc with a higher stall rate will put the engine when reved with the brake on (the stall speed is what the rpms stop at with the gas pressed all the way down when on the brake) into it torque curve better as you will get more torque depending on the engines rpm like 2200 which is usually a normal stall speed might be 200 but at 2600rpm it might be producing 260 hp so you can launch better

just like a manual tranny ,you don't idle and drop the clutch you redline and then dump the clutch

with a higher stall tc it is already in gear in an auto so you get going with more power

hope this makes sense

well i had the chance of contacting the guys at protorque, and this is what they had to say about their product:

Yes, we do torque converters for many import applications. As well as

many

turbo Supra's that are also in the 10's. Many of these cars have been

featured in TURBO Magazine. The most recognizes is probably Vinnie Tens

second Supra. We have done many other RWD Toyotas including Lexus and

Camry

We offer a torque converter for this application. The part number is

PTC-TO44LEXSS. This torque converter is the perfect mix of performance

and

street ability and is recommended for a street/strip application. The

stall

speed on this torque converter is approx. 300-800 above stock. Our

price on

this torque converter is $425.00 +shipping. The reason we recommend

this

piece is because of its good drivability, and durability.

We do these on an exchange basis. The turnaround time for this torque

converter is usually 1-2 days. Once again thanks

what do you guys this? trust em? it seems pretty reasonable to me, but with enough support from you guys, i will try this piece of work out.

That's a good response. Did you get that via e-mail or phone. I can always appreciate a straight up answer from a vendor. I would recommend you get a clear idea of any kind of warranty. Once that is clear or you are ready to jump pick it up. Sounds they are doing a rework of the oem torque converter to stall up a bit higher. Probably not bad if they stand behind their work. I would recommend the tranny cooler as well to be on the safe side. Just by-pass the stock one completely and pick up any decent external unit.

My word is not bond. Though I might like to think it is. There is always the opportunity for things to go less than ideal. But this is what makes life exciting yea?

Anyways, yes - by-pass the stocker tranny cooler because it is located inside of the radiator. Therefore, the fluid is going to be as hot as the engine coolant. Probably not ideal after putting the reworked stall in there. Cut the stocker cooler out of the loop - remove the hot step. Feel free to consult elsewhere as well for other opinions. This was mentioned over at supraforums recently as well.

well i had the chance of contacting the guys at protorque, and this is what they had to say about their product:

Yes, we do torque converters for many import applications. As well as

many

turbo Supra's that are also in the 10's. Many of these cars have been

featured in TURBO Magazine. The most recognizes is probably Vinnie Tens

second Supra. We have done many other RWD Toyotas including Lexus and

Camry

We offer a torque converter for this application. The part number is

PTC-TO44LEXSS. This torque converter is the perfect mix of performance

and

street ability and is recommended for a street/strip application. The

stall

speed on this torque converter is approx. 300-800 above stock. Our

price on

this torque converter is $425.00 +shipping. The reason we recommend

this

piece is because of its good drivability, and durability.

We do these on an exchange basis. The turnaround time for this torque

converter is usually 1-2 days. Once again thanks

what do you guys this? trust em? it seems pretty reasonable to me, but with enough support from you guys, i will try this piece of work out.

protorque is a straight shooter shop...BUT..you MUST have the TC installed by a tranny tech for them to honor their warranty. when i went there to pick up the TC they asked me who was the rebuilder before they would even give me the warranty. warranty (i believe) is 1 year.

they do answer phones...so if you need to call you can. the TCs are pretty heavy so be ready for hefty shipping fees.

also notice they mentioned the stall speed to be XXX-XXX above stock. they don't say exactly what stall you have because like SK mentioned it's all dependent on what power you're putting down. more power = higher stall.

it will give u extra heat in the ATF..so cooler is recommended if not required. your MPG will decrease if you're in local traffic a lot. hwy should be the same or close. what also helps is adding a shift kit. it'll give you firmer shifts and less slip. not sure where you go to do that for the lexus but it's mainly valve body adjustment and if your tranny has some miles on it solonoid replacement.

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE! you can buy the dragon torque converter straight from precision. heres the email a rep sent me:

You can buy direct from us. The Dragon for your car sells for $734.58 and comes with a 2 year warranty.

Precision Industries

800-649-7866

that's a hell lot better than 900!