Rx400h Drive Is Reverse, Revers Is Drive

On my 2006 lexus RX400h I have had a problem occure once every 13 months, my mom was driving the car when she parked at the mall, got in to head home, started the car, put it in drive, and the car started moving backwords, she then put it in reverse and the car moved fowards. She shut off the car, turned it back on, and the car was fine... another 13 months later the same thing happend.

now im 16, yet i have a great deal of expirence developing and designing new products and fixing problems so dont judge. but during my driving test to get my licenses i had it occur during the parallel parking. Drive sent the car backwords, revrese sent the car forwards. I finished the rest of my driving test with the car saying it was in reverse (confused the hell out of the driving instructor)

We have taken the car to lexus every time and they send it back to us a week later saying there was nothing wrong, Now that it is occuring more often I need to make a fix.

I havent done much research on the RX400h tranny but im doing it now.

what i need to know:

how is the RX400h tranny set up?

does the car use a computer or electronics to put in in gear when you switch it to drive?

does the tranny send the information to the electric motors so it know weather to go forwards or backwords?

any info you have on this subject is helpful

depending on how the tranny is set up i might try to create and test a new system where i just have to push a button with drive written on it and it will switch the RX400h into drive. To park, you tap the park, reverse, you tap the revers. which will be located on the center consol. depeding on how the tranny is set up. I will post pics and update you on how this *PUSH BUTTON GREARING* is doing.

I have a few other question about diffent issues and problems with the RX400h and im creating some new devices and inventions so if you have knowlage about the RX400h, please view my other posts and help me out.

Um...I admire your youthful exuberance...but do not under any circumstances go re-wiring the vehicle. I imagine your parents would never allow it...but their RX400h is a very expensive piece of machinery, and if there is something wrong with it then it needs to be repaired by someone qualified to make such repairs. Its not a toy...

The Rx400h "shifter" is just a switch that sends messages to a motor which moves the transmission into each gear. It's not a direct mechanical drive.

The problem you're describing is very... odd. Definitely a computer issue, most likely not something you can fix. I would say the issue is with the shifter switch, but the fact that the issue goes away after re-starting the car (resetting the computer) this tells me that the switches aren't failing intermittently, but that the computer is confused and resets every time you restart.

Record the car when the problem is happening, and show the dealer. Better yet, bring the car to the dealer while the issue is happening and let them look at it. They need to be present to determine the validity of the issue before they can fix it.

But DO NOT try to fix this on your own. I'm pretty handy myself, but i would never attempt to fix this. It's a computer issue and there's no way you'll be able to re-program it yourself.

I'm sure you "could" develop your own shifter device, but why would you want to? There's no way you could get it to work with the car's computer, nor would it ever be as attractive as the factory unit.

Just leave it up to the dealer. There's making "modifications" to a car, then there's "repairing". What you need is a repair, not a modification.

In all the years I have been perusing this forum, I have never seen anything this bizzare! The dealership should contact Japan to find out what could cause this type of thing. Obviously, if it happens only every 13 months, the chances of the technician experiencing it is very low.

Telling me I'm too young doesn't help,

I'm 16, but I'm a computer systems engineered, how Lexus is set up and the wiring andost Lexus models isn't very complicated for me. I created devices way more complicated like a push button ebrake for drifters, knowing what sets the transmission into drive is all I needed to know. Our 400h was the 5 sold to public so maybe it might be that it was so old and such an early car it wasn't "fine tuned" to have all the bugs worked out.

The dash board light go black to at tomes, not like it is switching to night mode or what ever but strait up *BLEEP*s off while driving. The car still runs and instruments still work but the car lights go black. I'm halfway threw creating a new car super compute. For the 400h. This will be able to run the car from the navigation system. Of an error or problem occurs, it will be recorded. I'm going to be doing alot of testing on the track the many new systems I have developed for the 400h is250, is300, and lx470.

Lexus are very expense, but money has no value to me, but if I can impr

what i need to know:

does the car use a computer or electronics to put in in gear when you switch it to drive?

does the tranny send the information to the electric motors so it know weather to go forwards or backwords?

I have a few other question about diffent issues and problems with the RX400h and im creating some new devices and inventions so if you have knowlage about the RX400h, please view my other posts and help me out.

The motors don't directly drive the wheels, so the tranny is not sending information to the electric motors. The motors drive some sort of gear that is part of or connected to the tranny.

However, in YOUR particular vehicle, I'm blaming the gerbils and their exercise wheel. When you put YOUR car into drive, some gerbil food falls into a tray just out of reach of the gerbils. As they run for it, the exercise wheel spins and powers the front wheels. In reverse, the food falls into a different tray, causing the gerbils to run the other way. Maybe radiation from the dilithium crystals are affecting the gerbil's sense of directions??

I'm 16, but I'm a computer systems engineered, how Lexus is set up and the wiring andost Lexus models isn't very complicated for me. I created devices way more complicated like a push button ebrake for drifters, knowing what sets the transmission into drive is all I needed to know. Our 400h was the 5 sold to public so maybe it might be that it was so old and such an early car it wasn't "fine tuned" to have all the bugs worked out.

The dash board light go black to at tomes, not like it is switching to night mode or what ever but strait up *BLEEP*s off while driving. The car still runs and instruments still work but the car lights go black. I'm halfway threw creating a new car super compute. For the 400h. This will be able to run the car from the navigation system. Of an error or problem occurs, it will be recorded. I'm going to be doing alot of testing on the track the many new systems I have developed for the 400h is250, is300, and lx470.

No offense, OK I guess I can't help it.. I am a college professor and love education, you should take a break from engineering and focus on your writing in your English class a wee bit more. Honestly, learn to write better, even on a car forum. Just a thought. Oh, and like cduluk suggested, stay away from trying to fix things way beyond what common sense would dictate. Let the Lexus folks do the big fixes, it will be their responsibility. Respectfully, Rey

what i need to know:

The motors don't directly drive the wheels, so the tranny is not sending information to the electric motors. The motors drive some sort of gear that is part of or connected to the tranny.

However, in YOUR particular vehicle, I'm blaming the gerbils and their exercise wheel. When you put YOUR car into drive, some gerbil food falls into a tray just out of reach of the gerbils. As they run for it, the exercise wheel spins and powers the front wheels. In reverse, the food falls into a different tray, causing the gerbils to run the other way. Maybe radiation from the dilithium crystals are affecting the gerbil's sense of directions??

Maybe the flux capacitor has gone bad. If you don't hit the 1.21 gigawatts the motors don't get enough energy to drive in the correct direction.

what i need to know:

Maybe the flux capacitor has gone bad. If you don't hit the 1.21 gigawatts the motors don't get enough energy to drive in the correct direction.

Im going to have to do some testing on the car to see what it is. moniter power, all controlls and everything

I have finished the design for the push button tanny and will try it on our is250 before installing on the rx400h, The 400h has been with lexus servis for the past few days now

Let me get this straight: You're a computer systems engineer at 16 years of age, yet your grammar is at a 6th grade level? C'mon, kid, we all seem to have a hard time believing that you are capable of creating proper sentence structure, let alone coming up with a fix for a very complicated problem.

However, I admire your determination!

Hey, his last name is Dangerfield - gets no respect!

That's great! Plus, he won't have the foggiest what you mean! Toodle-loo, member RXRey, one of the over 16 crowd.....

Im going to have to do some testing on the car to see what it is. moniter power, all controlls and everything

I have finished the design for the push button tanny and will try it on our is250 before installing on the rx400h, The 400h has been with lexus servis for the past few days now

Do let us know how that goes... We'll be on the edge of our seats waiting.

Maybe we should give him a little break. Just judging by his poor sentence structure and spelling maybe English is not his first language..... Maybe he is of Asian descent, say Japanese? Maybe his daddy is a computer system engineer for some sort of a technologically advanced company. Maybe a mega Japanese electronics company or maybe a mega Japanese automotive company. Maybe he has access to the computer that can communicate and edit the source code for the computer and he has access to all of the process and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID) to re-wire this advanced Japanese automobile.

I know that if video of this young innovator (and proof of age), including a tour of current or previous inventions / improvements to a similar advanced piece of machinery would put us all back in our seats.

Or maybe I’m just a smartass?

Either way, this is the most fun I’ve had with a thread in this forum.

Cheers!

Maybe we should give him a little break. Just judging by his poor sentence structure and spelling maybe English is not his first language..... Maybe he is of Asian descent, say Japanese? Maybe his daddy is a computer system engineer for some sort of a technologically advanced company. Maybe a mega Japanese electronics company or maybe a mega Japanese automotive company. Maybe he has access to the computer that can communicate and edit the source code for the computer and he has access to all of the process and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID) to re-wire this advanced Japanese automobile.

I know that if video of this young innovator (and proof of age), including a tour of current or previous inventions / improvements to a similar advanced piece of machinery would put us all back in our seats.

Or maybe I’m just a smartass?

Either way, this is the most fun I’ve had with a thread in this forum.

Cheers!

HAHA yeah my spelling is kinda bad, im dislexic so spelling and english are hard as sh** but math, art, engineering and everything are easy. I love working with my hands, i love working with computers, cars, jet skis, boats. designing new things and building them. im waiting to get the 400h back to try out the new shifter system. and i need to do a few more test in the is250 to fine tune it. If you want to make fun of my ideas feel free to. i dont mind, im working on putting a honda cbr600rr engine in a go kart at the moment