98 Gs300 Headlamp Bulb Replacement

Any ideas how to replace the low beam headlamp bulb on a 98 GS300? I unscrewed the white cover, pulled the metal cover off, unhooked the connection, undid the clamps, pulled the old bulb out. When I go to replace the bulb, it doesn't seem like it fits securely. Do you insert the bulb, replace the metal clips, then hook on the power supply connection, or do you attach the bulb to the power supply connection first, then replace the clips, etc? Any help would be much appreciated.

Any ideas how to replace the low beam headlamp bulb on a 98 GS300? I unscrewed the white cover, pulled the metal cover off, unhooked the connection, undid the clamps, pulled the old bulb out. When I go to replace the bulb, it doesn't seem like it fits securely. Do you insert the bulb, replace the metal clips, then hook on the power supply connection, or do you attach the bulb to the power supply connection first, then replace the clips, etc? Any help would be much appreciated.

All you have to do is turn the bulb socket and pull straight out, You can disconnect the harness before or after, There is enough play in the wires. At least that is how my lights are setup.

All you have to do is turn the bulb socket and pull straight out, You can disconnect the harness before or after, There is enough play in the wires. At least that is how my lights are setup.

My question is more geared towards installing the new bulb. How is the bulb secured in the headlamp assembly? Do you insert the bulb, twist, secure the clamps, then connect the harness? Or do you connect the bulb to the harness, insert into the assembly, secure the clamps, etc.?

My question is more geared towards installing the new bulb. How is the bulb secured in the headlamp assembly? Do you insert the bulb, twist, secure the clamps, then connect the harness? Or do you connect the bulb to the harness, insert into the assembly, secure the clamps, etc.?

The new bulb just plugs straight into the socket, Just push it in the socket. What clamps are you refering to ?

Here is how I removed the old bulb: 1: Undo white cover. 2. Pull off metal housing. 3. Unscrew black socket from bulb. 4. Undo metal clamps. 5. remove bulb.

Logic would have it to reverse this sequence to install a new bulb. However, the bulb does not seem secure when installed. If I install it, secure clamps, then try to screw black socket on, the bulb does not remain secure in the headlight assembly.

Yes, I am referring to an HID installation.

Knew it! <_<

To re-install properly, place the bulb onto the reflector (making sure the notch lines up) then hold the bulb in place by the metal clamps. At this point, the bulb should be very secure. If it isn't, you may have inserted the bulb incorrectly. There's a little notch cutout in the bulb base that fits only a certain way onto the reflector. If you do this and there's still a security issue, then you may need to bend the metal clamps a little to put more pressure onto the bulb base to hold it in place...

When you get the bulb secured tightly enough with the clamps, press on the igniter (watching for the notches) and rotate clockwise a little. And you're done!

Yes, I am referring to an HID installation.

Knew it! <_<

To re-install properly, place the bulb onto the reflector (making sure the notch lines up) then hold the bulb in place by the metal clamps. At this point, the bulb should be very secure. If it isn't, you may have inserted the bulb incorrectly. There's a little notch cutout in the bulb base that fits only a certain way onto the reflector. If you do this and there's still a security issue, then you may need to bend the metal clamps a little to put more pressure onto the bulb base to hold it in place...

When you get the bulb secured tightly enough with the clamps, press on the igniter (watching for the notches) and rotate clockwise a little. And you're done!

Thank you very much. I'll give this a try when my bulb arrives. Unfortunately, I went to O'Reily's and bought one for $85 and broke it trying to install it! Now I've got two on the way for $25 a piece.

Got my bulb installed. Auto leveling question: what is it that actually moves when the lights are first turned on, the bulb, or the reflector?

It's the entire reflector itself that moves. I believe on the GS the reflector is pivoted at the top and at the bottom-left/right somewhere it's attached to a motor that pushes out a rod. This rod pushes inward or pulls outward which makes the reflector angle up or down <_<