Broken Tensioner , Pulley Or Both....help!

spazzy67

:( Driving my 91 LS400 and started hearing some 'noises' from the engine compartment. After ignoring it for a few days...... I hear a snap, clunk and smell a littlie rubber burning. Lights on dash and no power steering. Pull over, check under the hood to find my serpentine belt broke (that was the snap). As any backyard DIY Lexus mechanic would do, I was able to get the car home with no power steeering running on battery power!!!!

Purchased my new belt from NAPA for $27 . Proceed to install belt and realize the tensioner pully is missing (that was the clunk). I found the pulley laying on the bottom protective shield cover. THe bolt is still in place.

My question is.......... Where is the tensioner part? Is it seperate from the pully. I'm not sure what it looks like. Did I break the tensioner and the pully?? The pulley looks ok, but it could have a clean break in the center. Not sure, because I don't know what it looked like before it broke.

I will check the bottom cover for other parts!

My brother has an 95 LS400 . Would it be the same?? I can upload a few pictures of where i am at!

Does anyone have diagrams of what I need???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Is this dealer only item or can I get aftermarket??? Any suggestions?

Dealer quoted $260 for combo and I think 70 for pully.

Thanks in advance??

Paul :D

post-101145-1265497327_thumb.jpg

post-101145-1265497333_thumb.jpg

try looking at www.parts.com

I didn't realize the idler pulley & tensioner were two different animals! You are correct!! The bearings must have been toast and the pulley snapped right off!

Job was a breeze and the tensioner seems to be functioning properly so I will leave that alone for now!

Pulley was $65 at Napa.

Full charge on my battery and I'm on the road again!!!

Thanks again for your feedback! :D

UPDATE:

I installed the belt and have a constant squeeling/sqeaking when i step on the gas like the belt is loose??? Is there any adjustments other than the tensioner that I should be tweaking????

I dont think the pulley would be sqeaking because its only when I accelerate. Nothing at idle.

Any thoughts??

Note: There was a cheaper belt @ $27 and a premium belt @ $49....... could this be the reason why??? I bought the cheaper belt. Maybe like a cheap pair of shoes that just don't fit as well as the top brands???? :P

UPDATE:

I installed the belt and have a constant squeeling/sqeaking when i step on the gas like the belt is loose??? Is there any adjustments other than the tensioner that I should be tweaking????

I dont think the pulley would be sqeaking because its only when I accelerate. Nothing at idle.

Any thoughts??

Note: There was a cheaper belt @ $27 and a premium belt @ $49....... could this be the reason why??? I bought the cheaper belt. Maybe like a cheap pair of shoes that just don't fit as well as the top brands???? :P

SOLVED!!

I got the better belt and it is running smooth! I may have had the other belt shifted on one of the pulleys! I'll stick with whats working!!