Help: Head Gasket Antifreeze "seepage"

Icefury

Hey guys, was hoping I could get a few of you gear heads to weigh in on this. My 95 ES300 runs like a top. My concern is the driver side corner of the engine has a very small "seepage" of antifreeze. To clarify, this means there is a smear of antifreeze directly between where the head bolts on to the block. When I take a paper towel and wedge it between the head and block I get a little antifreeze transfer. It's no where near enough to trickle down the block nor do I see any air bubbles. After I clean it up to where it is visibly dry, the wet bead reappears after driving it a few times.

No white smoke on start-up

No antifreeze detected in the oil or cooling system

Not loosing any coolant

Using Zerex Asian formulated antifreeze

I know a compression test is the logical next step, but I wanted to get some feedback/speculation on this first. I dont suppose this is "normal" is it? Thanks for you help!

"Normal" of course not. Exactly where around the parimeter of the head are you talking about? It could be coming from the head, or the intake manifold. Keep in mind that the leak is not necessarily right at the spot that you see it. But either way, the problem must be addressed, best to get it now before it gets worse.

"Normal" of course not. Exactly where around the parimeter of the head are you talking about? It could be coming from the head, or the intake manifold. Keep in mind that the leak is not necessarily right at the spot that you see it. But either way, the problem must be addressed, best to get it now before it gets worse.

Thanks for weighing in GJ. The very corner of the block and head (driver side). There is a small ledge/lip where the block extends just a bit further than the head does.

Check further back, near the rad cap (the one between the cylinder banks, not the one on the rad). There is a good possiblity that it is coming from that area. If you have a small inspection mirror, and a good flashlight check the entire area. The coolant can seep a good distance before it becomes visable. It could be as simple as a hose going bad.

Check further back, near the rad cap (the one between the cylinder banks, not the one on the rad). There is a good possibility that it is coming from that area. If you have a small inspection mirror, and a good flashlight check the entire area. The coolant can seep a good distance before it becomes visable. It could be as simple as a hose going bad.

I'll do that. I'm taking it in to my mechanic on Monday to have the timing belt & water pump changed out. We will comb over it and I'll let you know what I find. I will post a pic or two of exactally what I'm seeing.

Hey guys, was hoping I could get a few of you gear heads to weigh in on this. My 95 ES300 runs like a top. My concern is the driver side corner of the engine has a very small "seepage" of antifreeze. To clarify, this means there is a smear of antifreeze directly between where the head gasket on to the block. When I take a paper towel and wedge it between the head and block I get a little antifreeze transfer. It's no where near enough to trickle down the block nor do I see any air bubbles. After I clean it up to where it is visibly dry, the wet bead reappears after driving it a few times.

Not loosing any coolant

I know a compression test is the logical next step, but I wanted to get some feedback/speculation on this first. I dont suppose this is "normal" is it? Thanks for you help!

Any further findings about this man? I am also curious about this certain scenario so I wanna know.

Hey guys, was hoping I could get a few of you gear heads to weigh in on this. My 95 ES300 runs like a top. My concern is the driver side corner of the engine has a very small "seepage" of antifreeze. To clarify, this means there is a smear of antifreeze directly between where the head gasket on to the block. When I take a paper towel and wedge it between the head and block I get a little antifreeze transfer. It's no where near enough to trickle down the block nor do I see any air bubbles. After I clean it up to where it is visibly dry, the wet bead reappears after driving it a few times.

Not loosing any coolant

Any further findings about this man? I am also curious about this certain scenario so I wanna know.

Everything checked out fine. 175lbs compression on all 6 cylinders which I presume is normal for a 1JZ-FE. It "seems" the culprit is a small leak from the cam position sensor (o ring worn out) working it's way down the block to the head. Mechanic says the leak is definitely oil, not antifreeze. He believes that what water is present is condensation mixing with the oil. Given the solid compression and no other contributing symptoms, Im inclined to conclude there is no problem with the head or gasket. Awesome!

Thanks GJ for the help & advice!

175 is normal, were they all close to each other? %5 difference from the hightest to the lowest is great, Much more than 10% requires further testing. Glad to hear that it turned out to be minor.

He said there was no more than 1lbs difference on any cylinder, it was very tight. Has been driven 120 miles and is completely dry now since replacing the o-ring on the cam position sensor. I'm pleased it turned out so favorably.