Will You Please Comment On This Estimate?

Hello All,

I got an estimate from the nearest local independent shop which performed "ATF drain the pan and Refill with 4 Quarts of AMS ATF" on my 2002 Lexus ES 300, mileage 80175.

Parts Labor

Timing Belt 44.24 308.10 Labor - Why so much?

Water Pump 122.25 79

Timing Belt Tensioner 55.87 23.70

Toyota Rev/Coolant 30

Cleaner 6.95

Total 670.11 - $41(discount) + $22 (tax)

I think these are GOOD prices........... but .........again ......... I am NOT a 800 pound Lexus expert Gorilla.

Will you PLEASE comment on this and HELP me in deciding whether to proceed or not?

Thanks

:cheers:

Sounds like a good price. I just checked the invoice and saw that we paid right at $750 in November 2006 to have the timing belt replaced on a V6 Toyota Camry -- engine the same as an ES -- including the two idlers, the water pump and coolant at an indie shop that specializes in Lexus. The labor charge, $308.10, seems low but I wouldn't argue if they know what they are doing.

Hello...............

Thanks a LOT for quick reply.

Do you have any SPECIFIC brand / Kit in mind for Timing Belt & Water Pump? ( A few days back, I got a PM from one of the board member "kashi125". He told me, he bought the OEM kit (I forgot the name of the kit but if I find the PM, I will post it here.) from some Lexus dealership in FL)

Let me know.

Please remember that this shop IS NOT an independent LEXUS ONLY shop - they serve all kinds of autos - hence, lower labor cost and also due to fact that, I know the owner since he opened the shop near my house 10 years back.

Not a good price...a great price.

$308 to do the timing belt on this car is like $50 an hour. Can't get better than that.

Hello...............

Thanks a LOT for quick reply.

Do you have any SPECIFIC brand / Kit in mind for Timing Belt & Water Pump? ( A few days back, I got a PM from one of the board member "kashi125". He told me, he bought the OEM kit (I forgot the name of the kit but if I find the PM, I will post it here.) from some Lexus dealership in FL)

Let me know.

Please remember that this shop IS NOT an independent LEXUS ONLY shop - they serve all kinds of autos - hence, lower labor cost and also due to fact that, I know the owner since he opened the shop near my house 10 years back.

Not a good price...a great price.

$308 to do the timing belt on this car is like $50 an hour. Can't get better than that.

Just picked up a complete AISIN OEM kit for $212.70 shipped from partsgeek.com. Best price I have found.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1995/lexu...g_belt_kit.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

You wrote " i purchased oem parts eg belts/tensioners from pembroke lexus." I have from many folks telling me including one of the member on this board, to buy OEM parts form Pembroke Lexus. based in FL. I think, I will buy directly from them and will find out if this indie shop near my house will install for me (for same labor charges they quoted me earlier for complete job). $100 for just Timing belt - sounds good to me.

Take Care .............

an indie shop last yr charged me 100$ labor for the timing belt change. i purchased oem parts eg belts/tensioners from pembroke lexus.

hello:

if you purchase on their (pembroke lexus) online website the parts would be discounted off their list price. I also would suggest that you validate, if the indy mechanic has ever done timing belt changes on toyota engines. Initially i was skeptical about taking my vehicle to an indy shop. i went to his shop and discussed about his toyota repair experience. i insisted that i will be present during the whole process. i printed off the timing belt replacement process from the fsm to make sure nothing goes overseen. i was impressed with his precision and speed he changed the belts/tensioners. i would highly recommend this honest mechanic if you were in the bay area (ca). no doubt there are some hidden gems.

Good Luck

he deals only with toyota engines eg camry/corolla timingbelt. His shop is off of bascom avenue in sanjose. i got mine done last year. not sure about your lx. his shop is a combo gas station/autoshop/711. he used to work at stevenscreek toyota i believe.

This is short sighted though, only replacing the timing belt is only doing half the job. If the water pump seizes then the effect is the same as the timing belt failing. You might as well just do niether and take your chances.

IMHO the water pump failing is more likely than the timing belt failing.

$100 to do the timing belt? I wouldn't trust that shop but thats just me.

Agreed. i was quite skeptical initially. i had the fsm printed and oversaw the entire process. it was performed as clock work by him. the labor deal includes replacing all belts (drive belts, timing belts), tensioners, idler pulleys and waterpump. i skipped the waterpump since the previous lexus dealership records showed a replacement. i purchased all oem parts from pembroke. my point is there is no requirement that this major service must be done at a dealership.

Oxnard Lexus just did wifes 2002 LS430 V8 Timing Belt & Pump during 90K Service on Feb 2, 2010.

$1095 Total: $720 Labor, $375 Parts: Water Pump $193, Belt $74, Termo $28, Rad Cap $20; less 20% cupon.

Big Job, remove battery, radiator, External Sepentine Drive Belt and accessories as well as Internal Timing Belt and accessories. Both Distributors, 8 spark plugs, crankshaft, fan, both cam pulleys, idlers, tensioners, Water Pump, inspect and replace all CORRECTLY.

If Timing Belt breaks, your LEXUS turns into a FORD (Found On Road Dead). Worse than running out of Gas.

Engine dies, and you have to pull your car to side of road, and MAY CAUSE A WRECK. Bad for wife, kids and public.

Maybe damage valves if they hit tops of pistons (some engines do, some dont)

At age 60, I pay Dealer to do it CORRECTLY with OEM Parts. Weekend job turned into 4 weekends when I tried to be a Hero and change wifes Timing Belt on 84 Mazda 626. I got belt ONE TOOTH OFF. Dealer has DEEP POCKETS to stand behind work, and LEXUS too, while Jiffy Lube or Indie would tell me to get lost, and I would be out of luck. Chevy Dealer rebuilt my 76 Corvette L82 engine when kid installed oil filter wrong. Lexus Dealer kid did wifes oil plug wrong, and found drip on garage floor. Oklahoma City Dealer admitted reason, and earned us perks and favored customer status until we moved to California. Now 3 hours from Dealer, so Indie for minor work, but Dealer for Warranty and major 30K, 60K,90K checkups so info gets into Lexus Computer Database and work done right with right parts.