Dealer Dented My Car!

moejo

:angry: I took my car in to fix alignment, they called me a few hours later- the tech smashed my car. They're treating me like they're doing me a favor by giving me the alignment for free and giving me a very dirty, smelly loaner for free. This is not what I expect from lexus!!!!!!Do I have any legal rights????

ask them to totally repair the damage, and if they will not you should contact your insurance company immediately. This is what you pay your insurance for...let the insurance company and the dealership battle it out in court. Since the car was not in your possesion at the time of damage, you are not at fault so get your deductible waived and there should be no surcharge to you.

Most dealerships have a bodyshop or work closely to a body shop. They should take care of everything.

You have every right to have you car returned to you in the condition it was handed over to the dealership before the repair.

steviej

It sounds like the dealership's taking care of it, correct me if I'm wrong Meojo. It could be just that Rep. that can't communicate his/her thoughts correctly. You can always ask to talk to another rep, or the manager. It also sounds like the rep. is trying to say, ' we're sorry our tech doesn't know how to drive, and your service is one us' They'll correct it. you don't really have to contact your insurance company, especially if you have State Farm--they tend to be :censored: and could use that against you when renewal time comes up.

moejo:

If it smells, ask them for another one. they're authorized to give you a clean loaner, even if it's a demo.

i agree with some things

how and what did the tech hit a wall another car or was rear ended?

we can't say the tech was at fault or the dealership

but they are responsible to fix it

i agree on another loaner adn ask for something nice like an a new rx 330

give head office a shout if they aren;t being forth coming

I've had State Farm Insurance for at least 15 years, and have put in NUMEROUS claims for vandalism (car keyed, spray painted, cracked windshield and even a rocks flying up from an 18 wheeler which tore up a tire and dented the hood and trunk of a rental car I was driving) and most recently for my totaled Lexus RX 300 (of course not our fault, driver underinsured/her insurance co running away from paying out) and have yet to see my rates go up for same.

Believe me when I say I am NO fan of car insurance let alone State Farm; especially seeing as I live in NJ perhaps the worst state for car insurance and regs, but I personally have not had the experience with State Farm to which you elude. (Crossing my fingers I just didnt jinx myself....lol) :unsure:

Note: I was advised by my rep; however, that your rates will go up if your found to be 51% or more at fault relative to a claim.

Point is moot I suppose, seeing as State Farm is going to drop all of us in NJ shortly.

300gone330

• 4 weeks later...

State Farm is pretty notorious, they were sued a whole bunch of times a few years ago for summarily dismissing people and forcing shops to use used or aftermarket parts without telling the policyholders...

I took my SC430 in for service and notices that the bumper had a little rip in it (the paint was scratched down to the rubber). I told the service rep that it was a new scratch. He brought out the service manager who said "yep, new scratch" and said they'd fix it now, or the next time I brought it in for service. I said now, they arranged for a loaner car (a new RX330) and I was on my way. I'd say it was "perfect" customer service (everybody makes mistakes - you are defined by how you deal with them).

Joe

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I took my SC430 in for service and notices that the bumper had a little rip in it (the paint was scratched down to the rubber).  I told the service rep that it was a new scratch.  He brought out the service manager who said "yep, new scratch" and said they'd fix it now, or the next time I brought it in for service.  I said now, they arranged for a loaner car (a new RX330) and I was on my way. I'd say it was "perfect" customer service (everybody makes mistakes - you are defined by how you deal with them).

Joe

Trust me, its different when your driving an SC430... take in an 90-94 ES/LS/GS and chances are, the manager wouldnt tell you its a new scratch.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When asking for a new loaner I would suggest that you mention that you are thinking about upgrading your vehicle in the future and ask to drive a demo "just to see how I like it"

I had a similar issue about 10 years ago. My wife was picking up the kids at school when a school bus backed into her. After the passenger side bodywork was finished I inspected the repair with the shop's rep. We went inside to settle the paperwork. When I went to leave there was a new deep dent right on the driver's side door. It was so new the clear coat was hanging by loose threads, like spider web silk. I went back into the service office to show it to the rep and they tried to deny that it was fresh and occured on their lot. When I pointed out the details about the clear coat, the service manager tried to tell me that since it happened after I had inspected it, they weren't liable. "It must have been a hit and run, call your insurance agent". I was fuming mad and walked over to another car that had just been parked since my inspection. Sure enough, it had similar shreds of clear coat on the bumper. The kid driving it worked for the dealer. He admitted scraping my car. You should have seen that service manager's face. He fell all over himself everytime I went in for service. I eventually bought another car from them.