New Probes Of The Electronic Throttle System In Toyota And Lexus Vehic

The G Man

I think part of the problem with this mess is with all the instant info. on cell phones, internet, tv, people want a instant fix. People speak and react too fast, want a answer now. I do myself. Info leaks out, gets twisted, and everyone sees it on their cell phones and internet. I remember my uncle had a Ford truck and the gas tank was right behind the seat. I could smell the gas while he's smoking. Scary. I don't know it there was a recall on that. The Detroit media is really beating them up on this. Wait and see what happens.

Tim

But don't lose sight of the fact that Toyota brought this situation squarely on themselves. Refusing to acknowledge a potentially serious problem for nearly two years and then rolling out a strategy blaming floor mats and accelerator pedals as a diversionary quick fix are self-serving, customer safety-risking corporate tactics that will punish Toyota for years, and rightfully so. Knowing a bit about Japanese culture, I'm surprised that no suicides in Toyota's executive offices have been reported yet....

I agree, I have lost some trust in Toyota, Lexus and will take time to get that back. My 04 ES is a great car, but I have been paying a lot more attention to how it reacts with traction control in the snow, abs system and acceleration. I heard of a worker who lost a prototype I-phone and jumped to his death. Hope these guys don't do that.

Tim

I agree, I have lost some trust in Toyota, Lexus and will take time to get that back. My 04 ES is a great car, but I have been paying a lot more attention to how it reacts with traction control in the snow, abs system and acceleration. I heard of a worker who lost a prototype I-phone and jumped to his death. Hope these guys don't do that.

Tim

Interesting article from the WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...djemTAR_t"

There's no "may" about it. The walls are caving in on Toyota on a daily basis, and rightfully so. They are on course to become the most heavily fined and penalized automaker in U.S. history. While their U.S. market share will suffer for years, they may be able to make up that lost volume in less regulated environments around the world (China, India, and right there in Japan)....

The driver didnt call 911...the passenger in the back did...

Even so, how the heck can people have time to call 911? It shouldn't take you more than 10 seconds to figure out to put it in neutral. Unfortunately, that's not enough time to stop the car from running over a couple kids on the sidewalk or hop the curb, but it should definitely be enough time to stop it from reaching 120 mph!

Another improvement of drive by wire has more to do with ease of packaging. You can put the throttle body in more places and without having to worry about connectivity with a cable!

EVERYONE REMEMBER THIS THREAD? (complete with carnage photos)

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=56647&st=0

Got closed because some moderator thought it was completely made up. Who knows, maybe it is. But my guess is not.

It's funny how one day everyone can call you a lunatic one day, but the next day, most people agree with your suspicions.

The same thing happen to a thread about sudden accelaration in a RAV4 forum. Two owners claim their 3rd gen RAV4 accelarated by itself and other members call them names and tells them to learn how to drive. The thread got closed because it got too personnal. My point is: why is that everytime a drive claim sudden accelaration, it is always driver's error, why are they guilty until they prove themself innocent?

Even if its a drive by wire- throttle system error, why would it not appear in any of the other Lexus models including the RX, LS models. I am not hearing those had issues.

Can't lexus use the same firmware as those cars had to fix the issue if they were good.

Not saying this source is 100% credible, but this article quotes a guy who says his 2000 LS400 did the same thing.

http://industry.bnet.com/auto/10003499/sud...ot-just-toyota/

I think we will see the probe extend to many other Lexus models.

Do you see the clip of the rubber mat pinning the throttle and the engine racing? I bet that has something to do with at least some of these issues. That rubber mat oversized for the incorrect model was in the CHP officer's loaner ES350.

As for the LS, I don't know. The 98-00 LS has a pretty distinct kick to the throttle on takeoff, it sounds to me like he gave it some throttle and then backed off and was surprised when it kicked in. Those cars have been out a LONG time, if there were issues I think we would have heard about them...

Do you see the clip of the rubber mat pinning the throttle and the engine racing? I bet that has something to do with at least some of these issues. That rubber mat oversized for the incorrect model was in the CHP officer's loaner ES350.

As for the LS, I don't know. The 98-00 LS has a pretty distinct kick to the throttle on takeoff, it sounds to me like he gave it some throttle and then backed off and was surprised when it kicked in. Those cars have been out a LONG time, if there were issues I think we would have heard about them...

I saw that clip of the gas pedal getting stuck on the mat, it’s a poor design, the gas pedal hangs too low. As far as that CHP officer's ES, it’s all speculations at this point, there is no way to prove anything if you saw what was left of the car.

As far as the LS, I think I would start to presume these sudden acceleration are real and not driver's error until it is proven otherwise. Its certainly possible that there is isolated case of sudden accelaration for any make or model of any car.