Is There A Safety Net When Redline

peeksnit

I red-lined second gear and car start missing. It was early on a Saturday and wanted to give newer BMW some attitude (back). It was hard to see tach because of sun and guage not well but really had eyes on BMW. Bought car Dec 31 so still getting used to it. VERY surprised I red-lined so quickly...hats off SC300. I had this terrible sick feeling after I did it. I have been driving sticks for years and ALWAYS stayed away from the red line. Car just started missing when hit the red so immediately backed off. I am now babying it, smelling, watching temp guage, waiting for a vibration from engine but nothing so far. It is a well maintained '97 SC300 with 90K. Thinking of driving from Philly to Indy to celebrate with old friends to watch Super Bowl. Opinions?

I red-lined second gear and car start missing. It was early on a Saturday and wanted to give newer BMW some attitude (back). It was hard to see tach because of sun and guage not well but really had eyes on BMW. Bought car Dec 31 so still getting used to it. VERY surprised I red-lined so quickly...hats off SC300. I had this terrible sick feeling after I did it. I have been driving sticks for years and ALWAYS stayed away from the red line. Car just started missing when hit the red so immediately backed off. I am now babying it, smelling, watching temp guage, waiting for a vibration from engine but nothing so far. It is a well maintained '97 SC300 with 90K. Thinking of driving from Philly to Indy to celebrate with old friends to watch Super Bowl. Opinions?

I've done the same thing in mine many times(by accident of course)....your totally fine don't worry. Just don't go doing it every day or you will have problems.

Worry not. All is OK

It may even be that the 'missing' is a rev. limiter. [i don't know if the SC300 has one, though.]

Good luck with your new purchase!

Worry not. All is OK

It may even be that the 'missing' is a rev. limiter. [i don't know if the SC300 has one, though.]

Good luck with your new purchase!

Thanks for responses.....drove a '65 Mustang in HS with 289 4 speed that I don't believe came close to generating same torque.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing is I don't know about the Sc300 but on the 400 the engine is very smooth so sometimes you are aproaching the redline but you don't know it till you look at the Tach.

I found myself in this situation before I have an AUTOMATIC and still when I really press on the gas pedal it goes like over 5k rpm but it does it so smoothly you don't feel the engine screaming but the tach goes way high.

The thing is I don't know if Lexus cars even have rev limiters like American or European cars have.

On my dad's infinityq45 I went BEYOND the redline because of that.

I was testing the car I put the shift in L and floored it and the car picked up speed and when I looked at the tach it was at 7K RPM!

I immediatly switched to second gear I tought to myself why doesn't this thing has a rev limiter.

I tought I must have cracked the Engine block FOR SURE.

But nothing happened.

So I guess even going OVER the redline at least once you won't do anything to your engine or you're transmission.

BUt if you do it everyday then you'll be sorry