1990 Ls400

deltaq

Good day to all,

I am new to the sight and it feels like home. I have a 90 LS400 with 207,000 miles. I want to completely renovate this car with some upgrade modifications. I plan to drive it every so often. I have replaced or cleaned the following; timmimg belt, water pump, struts, brake rotors, brake lines, throttle body and both heads cleaned (I had to clean the heads after I had a leak of power sterring fluid coming through the throttle body). Overall this car is good to go! I believe this is Japan's first full size luxury sedan and would like to keep it. For anyone out there, What are the pros and cons of renovating this car? Is it it worth it? Or should I focus on a later model. Project will take 3 years and will commence in June 04.

Additional objectives are as follows:

Bigger brakes

Better dual exhaust system

Audio/Navigation

and am considering beefing up the engine and trans a bit.

I am not looking for a "cannon" but a "deadly silencer"

Thanks, any advice will help

sounds like a good car and it will serve you for years to come. btw there is another full size toyota seda called toyota crown. it was born long b4 the celcior and 1uz-fe was originally developed for this car.:) just FIY

The Blue Angels will be @ MCAS Apr 24th !!!

On the car: Think it would be expensive to restore what you have--you have done a lot---but the parts on these things are probably the most expensive of any car of this decade and type made; some prices are downright crazy--$1000. for a plastic windshield washer bottle!!!!! Forget it if you ever have to take to Lexus for a major repair---will be much more than the car is worth.

The electrical on these cars is very complicated [even with the schematics in front of you].

Also if you ever have a wreck and have about $20,000. in the car---you will maybe get around $2500. on a total!!!!!

I would spring for as late a model as you can afford and maybe do wheels,brakes, etc, things like that, without having to worry about mech breakdowns.

My $0.02.

Good points!

I have been ready to buy a later model, but realizing that body styles change with years, I'm kinda locked on the 90; however it does make sense. I estimated 25,000 over 3 years...hard to let go.. will end up getting a later model

Thanks

Pedro

i know its out of topic but what do you do with jet aircraft?

i was looking to get a job in this field but so far no luck. i love civil aircrafts even more then cars.:)

check out the stuff i got here

http://public.fotki.com/VMF/models/

so far this is all i can do besides spotting the planes and checking pix on airliners.net:) i also was in sinsheim musem in germany with bunch of cars there and most importat Concorde and Tu-144 were there too and i got them both in one shot! here http://public.fotki.com/VMF/trips/europe_2...020283_img.html

btw i have same plans for my car as well and i'm slowly collecting money for this big project (its hard to share $ between car and GF:)). i also plan to install a body kit and complete repaint of the car. all ur mods +body kit and repaint will cost me but my car will be almost unique. and for regular transportation i will use Acura integra which i just bought for 500$ while LS will be my toy!

Deltag restoring your '90 LS400 over a three year period sounds like quite a project but I'm sure your at least as talented as my brother who was formerly a jet aircraft mechanic and you will do a terrific job. Used parts are available more so for the early years ('90-'92) in the salvage yards. I think in that respect a '90 LS4oo was a good choice. Four Door.

Deltag restoring your '90 LS400 over a three year period sounds like quite a project but I'm sure your at least as talented as my brother who was formerly a jet aircraft mechanic and you will do a terrific job. Used parts are available more so for the early years ('90-'92) in the salvage yards. I think in that respect a '90 LS4oo was a good choice. Four Door.

Thanks. I like to do things right and am very patient. I really am considering this project. I just want would like to know the pros' and cons'.

I am setting this renovation into 3 phases; 1) Engine/Power train 2) Suspension and 3) Body interior/exterior. I will focus on all parts that have a short shelf-life and work my way out. I plan on doing 80 percent of the work myself (I guess I am a perfectionist) this will allow me to save on costs as well. I have experienced 30 to 40 percent discounts on genuine Lexus parts so I will continue to search for better deals. All in all I know this is an enormous project but with persistence and discipline I will get there.

Short Bio: At the age of 10 my Dad took me to a Pontiac dealership, and it was there where I learned to be mechanically inclined not to mention understanding the flow of body work and affiliated repairs. I am a Engine Manager for GE 400s (jet engines) I have worked on the airframes, air cond, hydraulics etc..

Thanks to all for the support and advice...once completed this car will be garage kept except for Sundays and Holidays!

very nice job you got:) i wish i had smth like this. as to the LS we have similar projects and i also tend to do stuff myself. during those projects we can help each other with problems if we will encounter any:)