Best Year

Personally, i love the style of the 01-05 GS300/GS430. The upgraded features from 99-00 include the HID headlight option, upgraded taillights, silver/black trimmed interior gauge bezel panel (small detail, but a nice upgrade).

And the 01-05 GS430 has the wood/leather steering wheel and shifter knob, but you can get them both pretty cheap on ebay and do the swap yourself onto the GS300.

That generation GS was ahead of its time with styling. Even to the day it's still a REALLY sharp car...

Look at this beauty!

2qj901i.jpg

4hdqfr.jpg

But for 2006 they changed the styling completely... Didn't like the styling at first, but it's grown on me now.

What's your budget?

Nice car. No more then $14000. Been looking on line at some 02 GS300's. Found some with low mileage. I'll have to drive a distance, none in my area.Think I'll wait till better weather. What should I look for in a higher mileage GS 300? Problem areas, etc. Thanks for any help.

Tim

Nice car. No more then $14000. Been looking on line at some 02 GS300's. Found some with low mileage. I'll have to drive a distance, none in my area.Think I'll wait till better weather. What should I look for in a higher mileage GS 300? Problem areas, etc. Thanks for any help.

Tim

Timing belt, Water pump etc..., Ball joints, Change the air in the tires, A good washing/Waxing/Polish and enjoy the ride :cheers:

Personally, i love the style of the 01-05 GS300/GS430. The upgraded features from 99-00 include the HID headlight option, upgraded taillights, silver/black trimmed interior gauge bezel panel (small detail, but a nice upgrade).

And the 01-05 GS430 has the wood/leather steering wheel and shifter knob, but you can get them both pretty cheap on ebay and do the swap yourself onto the GS300.

That generation GS was ahead of its time with styling. Even to the day it's still a REALLY sharp car...

Look at this beauty!

2qj901i.jpg

4hdqfr.jpg

But for 2006 they changed the styling completely... Didn't like the styling at first, but it's grown on me now.

What's your budget?

:wub: Thats the same exact style as mine exact mine is black with the black trim. I love being one of the only people in my area with those chromed rims. Its very unique. **drooling on keyboard**

I bought a 2000 GS300 a little over a year ago ($10K with new tires), after my company took away all company cars - a Platinum Edition with 90,000 miles on it (has 104,000 now), a clean CarFax, and complete Lexus maintenance records. I had to replace the timing belt right after delivery and a headlight last week (glad I didn't have a 2001 with the HID lights - EXPENSIVE to replace).

When we test drove it my wife thought it was a new car. My daughter and son-in-law borrowed it for a week and loved it. Only thing I added was a Kenwood double-din nav/CD/XM radio/iPod controller to replace the stock head.

The 3rd generation GS if "fancier" and maybe a little quieter, but I think the 2nd generation is better looking. And from following this forum is looks like the GS300 is pretty much bullet-proof, providing it is regularly maintained by a tech with Lexus training and experience.

Good luck.

I bought my 01 430 about a year ago (have yet to drive it 4,000 miles) with 57k miles, for about $12.9 out the door. Although I didn't really care for it at first, it has started to grow on me quite a bit. The 430 engine is a real rocket when asked. I had to punch it yesterday from 30mph. It took off so fast that the little i-pass toll road reader sitting on the dash came flying back and hit me in the face! I was at 90mph before I could realize it. The faster the engine winds up, the quieter it seems to get too, which is very strange.

Overall though, if you're not into a big car (LS), but want the bigger car luxury feel, then the GS is an excellent choice. Some say the GS is an IS with a bit more LS. I'd have to say it's the opposite, with the GS being an LS with a little more IS.

I did have to replace the engine mounts/ transmission mount. Plus new rotors and pads, and my other usual new parts I put on a used car that I buy (plugs, filters, fluids, clean throttle body), even if it didn't really need it. I will have to do something about a couple softening suspension bushings soon though. But at 9 years of age in the Chicago area, rubber ain't gonna last for long!

• 2 weeks later...

Look at this beauty!

2qj901i.jpg

4hdqfr.jpg

What's your budget?

Funny that you showed that car. I just bought that exact car yesterday in Dallas!!! Great car so far....