2001 Gs300 Acceleration Hesitation

I have a 2001 GS300 that has some major issues with accelerating. Any time you floor the vehicle it hesitates for what seems like forever before accelerating. It's a major problem driving around, I've almost been rear ended a number of times pulling out in front of traffic, only to have to wait for the tranny to find the right gear. It's been to the dealer two times already for this issue, which they say is completely normal for this model!! Help!! Is anyone else having this problem?

Do you have a intake or Exhaust on your GS?? If I were you, try to reset your ECU.. You can either pull out the ECU fuse in the long fuse holder in the enginebay or disconnect the battery.. But either way you choose leave it disconnected for atleast 20 minutes.. Then after you put the fuse in or re-connect the battery drive the *BLEEP* out of it.. The ECU will relearn your driving habits and hopefully that clears up your problem..

Do you have a intake or Exhaust on your GS??  If I were you, try to reset your ECU..  You can either pull out the ECU fuse in the long fuse holder in the enginebay or disconnect the battery..  But either way you choose leave it disconnected for atleast 20 minutes..  Then after you put the fuse in or re-connect the battery drive the *BLEEP* out of it.. The ECU will relearn your driving habits and hopefully that clears up your problem..

so that will get rid of the lag you get once you punch it.

?????

i was thinking of getting a K&N drop in air filter, would that do much.??

Do you have a intake or Exhaust on your GS??  If I were you, try to reset your ECU..  You can either pull out the ECU fuse in the long fuse holder in the enginebay or disconnect the battery..  But either way you choose leave it disconnected for atleast 20 minutes..  Then after you put the fuse in or re-connect the battery drive the *BLEEP* out of it.. The ECU will relearn your driving habits and hopefully that clears up your problem..

so that will get rid of the lag you get once you punch it.

?????

i was thinking of getting a K&N drop in air filter, would that do much.??

I'm not sure if that will clearup your problem.. But it doesn't cost you a penny and it can't hurt to try it.. I use to have a similar problem after I installed my Intake and reseting my ECU worked for me.. Alos putting in a K&N dropin filter won't hurt it any and it'll help air-flow...

• 1 month later...

:) Problem Fixed! After following the advice of whoever posted resetting the ECU, the dealership has redeemed themselves. They first told me the ECU couldn't be reset - then they magically found out how to do it. On top of that, they took the car for some real-time diagnostic checks which turned up a faulty oxygen sensor that wasn't registering a problem with the computer. The combination of problems has been solved and the car now scoots as it should!!!! Thanks for everyone's help.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, the check engine light never came on. Their explanation for this was that the computer only allows a problem to trigger the check engine light after multiple malfunctions. For some reason the sensor wasn't faulting enough to register although the performance issues were obvious. After enough complaining, including calling the owner of the dealership directly, they agreed to supply an identical 2001 GS300 from their pre-owned lot for back to back driving comparisons - this was the only way we were able to convince the service rep that there was a problem!!!!

This issue is so well know for the GS's, I cannot believe the dealers still act as if there is no cure and say "that's normal." Everytime you do a mod to the engine/exhaust, etc. the ECU needs to be reset (or so it seems). <_<

• 1 month later...
Do you have a intake or Exhaust on your GS?? If I were you, try to reset your ECU.. You can either pull out the ECU fuse in the long fuse holder in the enginebay or disconnect the battery.. But either way you choose leave it disconnected for atleast 20 minutes.. Then after you put the fuse in or re-connect the battery drive the *BLEEP* out of it.. The ECU will relearn your driving habits and hopefully that clears up your problem..

I have a 2001 GS430 that has the same problem with hesitation I'm going to try pulling the fuse to see if it will fix it.

:) Problem Fixed! After following the advice of whoever posted resetting the ECU, the dealership has redeemed themselves. They first told me the ECU couldn't be reset - then they magically found out how to do it. On top of that, they took the car for some real-time diagnostic checks which turned up a faulty oxygen sensor that wasn't registering a problem with the computer. The combination of problems has been solved and the car now scoots as it should!!!! Thanks for everyone's help.

Anytime... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So the general consensus is reset your ECU after engine mods? I have an intake system and aftermarket exhaust. the car flies but has the same hesitaiton issue. does the dealership charge to reset the ECU?

Thanks

Jay

So the general consensus is reset your ECU after engine mods? I have an intake system and aftermarket exhaust. the car flies but has the same hesitaiton issue. does the dealership charge to reset the ECU?

Thanks

Jay

Reset the ecu yourself... Read my post above....

Everyone who is modding their car should learn to do this and do it periodically after lots of "stop and go" driving. It really makes a difference on my 93 everytime I do it.:cheers:

I agree.. I do it like once a month...

• 2 months later...
If I were you, try to reset your ECU.. You can either pull out the ECU fuse in the long fuse holder in the enginebay or disconnect the battery.. But either way you choose leave it disconnected for atleast 20 minutes.. Then after you put the fuse in or re-connect the battery drive the *BLEEP* out of it.. The ECU will relearn your driving habits and hopefully that clears up your problem..

which color fuse is the fuse for the ECU?

• 1 month later...

Which of the ECU fuses are you refering too. In my book GS300 2001 there is a #16 fuse (ECU-IG), #29 fuse (ECU-B2, #31 fuse (ECU-B1), which by the manual explanation none of those would indicate anything but (window, door lock, wireless remote, theft, power seat, clock, interior lights..) If you could point us to the right fuse it will make more sense.

Thank you,

Herk

Which of the ECU fuses are you refering too. In my book GS300 2001 there is a #16 fuse (ECU-IG), #29 fuse (ECU-B2, #31 fuse (ECU-B1), which by the manual explanation none of those would indicate anything but (window, door lock, wireless remote, theft, power seat, clock, interior lights..) If you could point us to the right fuse it will make more sense.

Thank you,

Herk

I am not sure about the 2001s but on my 98, I believe it is the ECU-B that is in the passenger-side fuse box in the engine bay. I don't recall there was a 1 and 2 though.