Rx330 Stock Radio Removal Tutorial

TLMNICK

Hello to all. I know this it my first post (I hope I'm posting in the right section), and I must confess that I am not a Lexus owner, however I am an installer, and figured this might help some of you out. The closest thing to a tutorial I was able to find was a half-assed description telling you to remove one panel, and then you're given a link to go pay someone for the rest of the instructions. The whole idea behind a club forum is to help each other out where you can, so that is what I'm hoping to accomplish by this picture tutorial. Please excuse the quality of the pics, as they were only taken with my iphone.

Usually the only time that anyone needs to remove the radio is if a cd is stuck, OR if you're installing an ipod integration unit suck as the USA-Spec unit. This is what I was installing when I took the pictures for this tutorial.

Anyway, here it goes:

1. Remove the bezel around the shifter, using your hand as shown in the pic. It's only plastic clips holding it in, so it won't take much to release it.

IMG_0164.jpg

2. Carefully remove the bezel containing the heated seat switches, and cigarette lighter plug. I used a fancy plastic tool to prevent possible scratching, etc. You can use your hand and pull from underneath, just be very careful not to break it as it's only plastic held in with plastic clips.

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

3. Take a look behind that bezel you just removed in step 2. You'll see 2 10mm bolts. Remove those using a suitable ratchet. The pic shows the 10mm bolts already removed.

IMG_0159.jpg

4. This is where it gets a bit tricky. There are TWO more hidden 10mm bolts holding the radio in. You'll have to look RIGHT up to see them. You'll need a decent sized extention on your ratchet to reach these. In the pic below, you can see my ratchet extension sticking out from the dash.

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

If you've gotten this far, then you're all set!

5. The entire lower portion of the radio unclips, and comes out. Putting it all back together is just as simple....just do the exact reverse to what you did to remove the radio.

IMG_0165.jpg

Hello to all. I know this it my first post (I hope I'm posting in the right section), and I must confess that I am not a Lexus owner, however I am an installer, and figured this might help some of you out. The closest thing to a tutorial I was able to find was a half-assed description telling you to remove one panel, and then you're given a link to go pay someone for the rest of the instructions. The whole idea behind a club forum is to help each other out where you can, so that is what I'm hoping to accomplish by this picture tutorial. Please excuse the quality of the pics, as they were only taken with my iphone.

Usually the only time that anyone needs to remove the radio is if a cd is stuck, OR if you're installing an ipod integration unit suck as the USA-Spec unit. This is what I was installing when I took the pictures for this tutorial.

Anyway, here it goes:

1. Remove the bezel around the shifter, using your hand as shown in the pic. It's only plastic clips holding it in, so it won't take much to release it.

IMG_0164.jpg

2. Carefully remove the bezel containing the heated seat switches, and cigarette lighter plug. I used a fancy plastic tool to prevent possible scratching, etc. You can use your hand and pull from underneath, just be very careful not to break it as it's only plastic held in with plastic clips.

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

3. Take a look behind that bezel you just removed in step 2. You'll see 2 10mm bolts. Remove those using a suitable ratchet. The pic shows the 10mm bolts already removed.

IMG_0159.jpg

4. This is where it gets a bit tricky. There are TWO more hidden 10mm bolts holding the radio in. You'll have to look RIGHT up to see them. You'll need a decent sized extention on your ratchet to reach these. In the pic below, you can see my ratchet extension sticking out from the dash.

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

If you've gotten this far, then you're all set!

5. The entire lower portion of the radio unclips, and comes out. Putting it all back together is just as simple....just do the exact reverse to what you did to remove the radio.

IMG_0165.jpg

Great info! Thank you - and welcome to the Club!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

OK, I managed to get the unit out of the car following your great instructions. Now what. Other than taking it apart I have tried every concievable fix suggested on the internet but still get the CD Error 4 and still unable to eject CD's. I have the choice of stripping the unit apart or phoning around to get an estimate on repair. If anyone has fixed this error on a 2004 RX330 by doing something other than button combinations or removing the fuse etc, then let me know.

Thanks

D

• 7 months later...

TMLNICK - had to re-up my subscription here just to say thanks for this easy to follow post with pics. This is perfect as my car is the 2005 RX330! Going to probably pick-up that trim tool at a local AutoZone or WalMart.

This is to say thanks those of us who get too busy to do so - THANKS! Much appreciated -Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I agree totally awesome post on how to remove the CD player, new owner of a 04 RX 330 bought this car 2-7-13, the CD player was already error 4 "faliure to eject" Will be taking out my CD player tomorrow then sending it out for repair...

Sleazy dealer wanted $150 to remove the CD player, $650 for a new one & another $150 to install $950 total...

No way was I going to pay that, now I can remove my CD player myself and get the job done for just the cost of the repair to the CD player.....

• 8 months later...

Well done, Radio out, CDs freed, back in and working in 10 minutes ! BUT MUST ADD BE CAREFUL CATCHING THE TOP TWO 10mm BOLTS, did have to go get a magnetic screwdriver as fell down inside well !!!

• 10 years later...

I'm a real late to this topic. I bought my 2008 RX 350 a year ago, and from the get-go, 6 CDs were stuck inside the player and won't move at all. R3 error code.

None of the tricks have worked. I'll try the same radio removal as described.
It's just too bad that your pictures all have the big photo bucket label crossing over them so that many details of the pictures are just impossible to see. Is there any better way to make this visible?