Hit And Run

ManP0899

I'm driving on Old Post Rd, in Edison, NJ... and its one lane and I am about to make a right turn. The impatient driver behind me went up on my right and TRIED to overtake me just when I am about to turn my wheel. The passenger in my car sees the person coming up on the right and yells for me to stop which I do. However there isn't enough space for the driver to get through and I hear a low pitched thud. Since I didnt feel anything I am hoping this person did not hit my car...and I see the car hit the curb ahead of me and it stops. I run outside check out the car, where i see a cracked right bumper, and also try and get a better look at the vehicle. I see the car start to move toward Rt.1 where there is a red light so I jump in the car with my passenger proceed to move forward with the vehicle and then I see the car in front of him make a right turn and he does as well. I am there stuck behind another car at the red light and decide not the pursue the car. I pulled over at the gas station call 911. I am such an idiot..im pretty good with cars and I tell them I think its a red(like a dark cherry) toyota celica. My passenger tells me its a black car...crazy how you remember things after an accident. The cop comes makes a report and I go and pick up pieces of my bumper and go to my destination.

At my destination I analyze the pieces and something doesn't seem right with the amount of damage I thought I sustained along with the huge pieces I had. So I check the pieces and I notice I have a huge chunck off of my assailant's car. Turns out it was a black honda.

The main reason I tell you this entire story is because I see that there are some part numbers on the corner light piece of his left bumper. I am hoping that I can trace the car from the part. I know it seems a bit excessive but I am extremely upset and I am a medical student who is starting to be in way more debt than I planned. I want some sort of justice and I wont be able to let this go knowing that someone who would do something like a hit and run would cause me to all this grief. Please give me some advice and throw some ideas out. All info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Also the GX has less than 600 miles on it...

I don't blame you...

The part numbers aren't going to tell you anything but the make and model of the car, and a range of years. Unless one of the peices has a VIN on it.

Take a picture of the peice and post it on here...I might be able to tell you what Honda it was off of by the peice...

You didn't say what parts came off the Honda -- are they parts that will have to be replaced in order to pass NJ vehicle inspection, such as bumper, lights, turn signals, etc? If yes, contact the local Honda dealers and body shops that do Honda body work. Give them the details of your mishap, and the list of parts you collected from the crash site. If/when they provide somebody a repair estimate (insurance companies sometimes require multiple estimates) matching the parts, find out who the owner is, or have the state police intervene and track it down. Sounds like the idiot was probably DUI and should lose his/her license for that as well as the hit-and-run, but you'll be lucky just to compensated for the damage to your vehicle.

I dont have access to the part because I had to go back to school but I will try and get a picture soon. I hope this helps..I asked my sister to give me as much info as possible of the front bumper driver side light

On the front of the light the red part it says:

STANLEY 055-4033L SAE AP289DOT

On the back it says:

STANLEY 055-4033

The letter A inside a circle and next to the circle #168

Some additional thoughts on this ... Most states have mandatory vehicle accident reporting laws that require drivers to file a report with the state DMV when vehicle damage exceeds some $ amount -- for example, $1,000 -- even when only one vehicle is involved. Insurance companies require a copy of the filed report before paying for repairs. In some states, repair shops may also be required to file reports with DMV on major vehicle repair jobs. (If you buy a used car, you can access DMV records to determine if the car has ever been in a major accident or has ever required major repairs.) Check with your local DMV office and see what they can do for you. Eventually, they may receive a report of a vehicle matching the black Honda with repairs matching the parts you have (don't throw the parts away -- repair shops take photos and keep records, and the parts you have could be evidence). If you can identify the driver, he/she will likely lose his/her license (if he/she wasn't already driving with a revoked license) for leaving the scene and failure to report. If this incident occurred in a commercial district, check with local businesses to see if there were any security cameras there. Some states have traffic/weather monitoring video cameras on major highways, and/or radar operated speed cameras (the driver was probably trying to make a fast getaway).

Some additional thoughts on this ... Most states have mandatory vehicle accident reporting laws that require drivers to file a report with the state DMV when vehicle damage exceeds some $ amount -- for example, $1,000 -- even when only one vehicle is involved. Insurance companies require a copy of the filed report before paying for repairs. In some states, repair shops may also be required to file reports with DMV on major vehicle repair jobs. (If you buy a used car, you can access DMV records to determine if the car has ever been in a major accident or has ever required major repairs.) Check with your local DMV office and see what they can do for you. Eventually, they may receive a report of a vehicle matching the black Honda with repairs matching the parts you have (don't throw the parts away -- repair shops take photos and keep records, and the parts you have could be evidence). If you can identify the driver, he/she will likely lose his/her license (if he/she wasn't already driving with a revoked license) for leaving the scene and failure to report. If this incident occurred in a commercial district, check with local businesses to see if there were any security cameras there. Some states have traffic/weather monitoring video cameras on major highways, and/or radar operated speed cameras (the driver was probably trying to make a fast getaway).

Excellent advice!

ManP0899, how did the other driver even have enough space to squeeze thru your right side. I hope you did not make one of those wide right turns like some people who turn left a bit before they turn right. They really confuse the driver behind them. Also, did you signal for a right turn? Usually drivers will not try to sneak by your right side if your signal lights are on. I would just chalk it up to experience, I could just let the insurance company take care of it instead of playing detective yourself.

ManP0899, how did the other driver even have enough space to squeeze thru your right side. I hope you did not make one of those wide right turns like some people who turn left a bit before they turn right. They really confuse the driver behind them. Also, did you signal for a right turn? Usually drivers will not try to sneak by your right side if your signal lights are on. I would just chalk it up to experience, I could just let the insurance company take care of it instead of playing detective yourself.

The road is an enlarged jug handle pretty much. He went onto the shoulder of the curved road hoping to squeeze pass me in a single lane. He also was going way too fast. He wouldnt have been able to see my signal the way he came through. In all honestly in this situation I would feel better to do something active rather and just pay a deductible for someone who hit me and sped off. If I dont find the driver in the end of the day it will be ok...I just want to not take this sitting down. I also checked on streetview on google maps and I did find speed cams in the intersection so I do have high hopes.

The road is an enlarged jug handle pretty much. He went onto the shoulder of the curved road hoping to squeeze pass me in a single lane. He also was going way too fast. He wouldnt have been able to see my signal the way he came through. In all honestly in this situation I would feel better to do something active rather and just pay a deductible for someone who hit me and sped off. If I dont find the driver in the end of the day it will be ok...I just want to not take this sitting down. I also checked on streetview on google maps and I did find speed cams in the intersection so I do have high hopes.

I hope you find the guy. I dont know if you guys have the point system in NJ, but in MA we do and no one stops for accidents anymore unless they have to. The point system has its good and bad I guess.

There's not much you can do at this point, and even if you "think" you've found them, there's no real proof and there won't be much you can do. By now the car's probably already been repaired (and it's highly unlikely the shop recorded anything as they don't need to if they don't feel like it) and there won't be much to find them by.

Just file an insurance claim and give them all the info you gathered. Your insurance company will do the investigative work if they want to. Your premiums may go up, but there's nothing you can do at this point...

Next time, do whatever you have to do to follow the car and get a plate- jump curbs, ride on grass, whatever it takes. If you get a plate, officers can get an address and find the car the same day and record any damage. That's the best way to find justice. <_<

Next time, do whatever you have to do to follow the car and get a plate- jump curbs, ride on grass, whatever it takes. If you get a plate, officers can get an address and find the car the same day and record any damage. That's the best way to find justice. <_<

I understand the frustration, but overreacting and jumping curbs putting you, your passengers, your vehicle, and others at more risk is silly.

I agree -- you can't recklessly endanger the lives and property of others chasing the perp without becoming a perp yourself. Lexus should consider wiring the backup camera to a video recorder blackbox (the camera serves no purpose when not backing up) to capture vehicle activity behind. Or, maybe just a bumper sticker that says "Smile -- your license plate and aggressive driving are being captured by my backup camera", or "If you can read this, my backup camera has recorded your license plate" would do the trick. I put a bumper sticker on my Jeep that says "Caution - Idiot Tailgating", and it's had a positive effect getting drivers to keep their distance.