Snow Performance Of Rx400h And Tires.

The biggest complaint about the new Continental DWS tires is that their sidewalls are too soft for heavier vehicles such as SUVs and pretend-SUVs like the RX series. Check out their relatively low load ratings compared to the competition. That could explain the steering vibrations reported above....

I believe that the DWS is more of a sedan tire than an SUV or truck tire. I had it on my list as a potential next tire for our 2005 Jaguar S-Type sedan, but since that vehicle weighs about 4,000 pounds, I believe the soft sidewall issue will come into play on it as well. From what I've researched, I would try the DWS only on cars (not SUVs or trucks) 3,000 pounds or less....

We're on our second set of Alenzas on my wife's 2004 RX330 AWD. Best bang-for-the-buck SUV or truck tire out there if you require the 18-inch size....

The biggest complaint about the new Continental DWS tires is that their sidewalls are too soft for heavier vehicles such as SUVs and pretend-SUVs like the RX series. Check out their relatively low load ratings compared to the competition. That could explain the steering vibrations reported above....

I believe that the DWS is more of a sedan tire than an SUV or truck tire. I had it on my list as a potential next tire for our 2005 Jaguar S-Type sedan, but since that vehicle weighs about 4,000 pounds, I believe the soft sidewall issue will come into play on it as well. From what I've researched, I would try the DWS only on cars (not SUVs or trucks) 3,000 pounds or less....

We're on our second set of Alenzas on my wife's 2004 RX330 AWD. Best bang-for-the-buck SUV or truck tire out there if you require the 18-inch size....

I don't know the load rating on the Conti. DWS for the RX, but for the BMW 330CI conv. (which weighs 3700lbs - 205/50-17s), they are rated 93XL, which is the exact same rating as the original Contis. that came with the car. (I am thinking of replacing the used OEM tires with them). There were some comments on BMW forums on the 'softer' sidewall - which seems to be the case for all Contis. - but no mention whatsoever of vibration.[ I do not think the vibration comes from an overload situation, since it occurs at all speeds. More likely a 'flat spot' or out-of-round tire.] The BMW comments related to a slightly slower turn-in (because of the softer sidewall) when compared to Michelins. -- By the way, Conti. has an SUV tire (that is OEM on MB, for instance), which got good ratings from Consumer Reports.

For a vehicle approaching 4,000 pounds, a tire load rating of 93 is just too low. 96 would be my minimum and 97 or 98 would be even better. Extra capacity is worth its weight in gold (and tire blowouts from hitting potholes) as far as load rating is concerned....

For a vehicle approaching 4,000 pounds, a tire load rating of 93 is just too low. 96 would be my minimum and 97 or 98 would be even better. Extra capacity is worth its weight in gold (and tire blowouts from hitting potholes) as far as load rating is concerned....

The 93 rating corresponds to 650kg (=1430lbs), the 100 rating (which is that of the Conti. DWS in the LX350 size - 18") corresponds to 800kg (1760lbs). While I agree that 'more is better', I am satisfied that BMW has calculated the rating needed for the 330CI conv. correctly (+/-1100 lbs. extra) - and I will replace my tires to the same rating -; and surely Lexus has too (over 2100 lbs extra) incl. the possible load over vehicle weight, and I will also replace my tires when due with same rating.

We went with a seperate set of wheel/show tires that we throw on just during winter. Pirelli 'winter carving edge' tires. But studs my not be legal in your area. If I remember, it seems they were a couple hundred buck, each. With the quasi-awd and studs, it's not too shabby, even cornering on slick ice.

We went with a seperate set of wheel/show tires that we throw on just during winter. Pirelli 'winter carving edge' tires. But studs my not be legal in your area. If I remember, it seems they were a couple hundred buck, each. With the quasi-awd and studs, it's not too shabby, even cornering on slick ice.

My wife used to have a 2000 VW Beetle and we went with the winter carving (without studs) on separate wheels for that vehicle. They were a very adequate winter tire with good ice performance. They are directional, if I remember correctly.