Mark Levinson Worth It?

Sweetie

Welcome to the club!

I definately can tell the difference. The Mark Levinson stereo is one of the best stock setups out there. More importantly though the ML stereo comes with the navigation system, which IMO is a must have.

sitting an enclosed quiet garage and with windows closed and the engine and accessories off anyone can tell the difference.

Traveling at road speed with the typical noise level of ~70db (LS430) no one can tell the difference.

I suppose that would depend on how much of an audiophile you are. I'm sure some people can't tell the difference between a Charles Shaw Merlot and a Chateau Margaux but I know I can. Personally I don't have the ML system so basically the whole argument is non-sequitur. What I really want to know is; who the hell is Mark Levinson anyway?? :P

I've driven the ES300 at 70MPH for extended periods with and without the ML system, I can tell the difference and I'm hardly an audiophile.

I do agree however that if you dont have the ML system you're not going to miss it really, the ML does best it in crisp bass, high and low end but that difference is really only apparent when you're listening to a CD and when you're comparing the two.

All reviews nod the Mark Levinson system as one of if not the best factory audio systems out there, they all felt the same about the previous Nakamichi (and there IS a difference, the two systems do sound different.

The real pro ablut getting the ML vs not getting the ML is the fact that the ML comes with the nav system...

And as to who is Mark Levinson, Mark Levinson designs high dollar home audio installs, recently it became a division of Harmon International (Harmon/Kardon, JBL, etc)

I've driven the ES300 at 70MPH for extended periods with and without the ML system, I can tell the difference and I'm hardly an audiophile.

I do agree however that if you dont have the ML system you're not going to miss it really, the ML does best it in crisp bass, high and low end but that difference is really only apparent when you're listening to a CD and when you're comparing the two.

All reviews nod the Mark Levinson system as one of if not the best factory audio systems out there, they all felt the same about the previous Nakamichi (and there IS a difference, the two systems do sound different.

The real pro ablut getting the ML vs not getting the ML is the fact that the ML comes with the nav system...

And as to who is Mark Levinson, Mark Levinson designs high dollar home audio installs, recently it became a division of Harmon International (Harmon/Kardon, JBL, etc)

:P

This is completely irelevant, but he was also, I believe, (until recently married to Kim Catrall of "s*x in the City."

Thank you. The RX330 can come equipped with Nav without the ML pkg. There is a separate nav & back up camera pkg that can be purchased along with the premium plus pkg, it comes with all the same stuff except the ML system & its about $1000 cheaper. Basically I was wondering if the ML system is worth $1000 extra bucks...

My salesman from Lexus is trying to talk me out of the ML system. He believes that it's not worth the extra money, but he wasn't able to show me a car on the lot with the ML system so I could hear the difference.

You're ordering an 05 it says under your name?

Be careful with this salesman. The 05 pricing and equipment sheets haven't been released yet, and you cannot get the 04 with nav and without ML, not any other Lexus. So he basically has no idea how the car is going to be shipped in 05. They always ship them with Nav and ML together, seperate would be a special order. Also think about it this way, why would he talk you out of a more expensive car, he's up to something.

I figured it out...

The Mark Levinson system on the 04 RX330 has currently not been availiable on the east coast, nor is the rear seat entertainment package. It has to do with the switch to the Canada plant vs Kyoshu, Japan. He's talking you out of the ML system because if you want it, he's not going to be able to talk you into taking an 04 vs waiting, and he wants to move his 04s.

SW03S,

Yes, I'm pretty sure that Mark Levinson was married to Kim Cattrall. In an online article a while back the article states:

"'It's just been so cold in New York,' says Cattrall, who lives there with hubby Mark Levinson, an audio electronic executive."

(from: http://www.canoe.ca/JamMoviesArtistsC/cattrall_kim.html)

Highly unlikely that her ex is also named Mark Levinson and is an audio electronic executive, don't you think? ;)

Anywhoo, I got my RX330 '04 Lexus with a Navigation system without the ML system. I didn't want to spend the money; the stereo is the least important thing to me in a car.

I would like to order an 05' because they probably tweaked the problems- I won't be making a purchase/order until end of summer anyway- I figure, why pay MSRP on an 04 when I'll probably pay MSRP for an 05.

I need to special order my car because I want certain things and I don't want certain things... like I don't want rain sensing wipers, which are normally equipped on dealer alotted cars. BTW, I got all the ordering information on Edmunds.com - so thats how I know I can get nav w/o ML pkg. My salesman knows he will not be selling me a car off the lot, so I'm not sure what his motive was trying to not sell me a ML pkg.

I figured it out...

The Mark Levinson system on the 04 RX330 has currently not been availiable on the east coast, nor is the rear seat entertainment package. It has to do with the switch to the Canada plant vs Kyoshu, Japan. He's talking you out of the ML system because if you want it, he's not going to be able to talk you into taking an 04 vs waiting, and he wants to move his 04s.

I have the factory premium package and added a basslink subwoofer in the rear. I put a plug on it so I can remove it when I need the space. Now the system sounds great.

You gotta watch salesmen because they never take anything for granted. There is no reason why he would steer you away from a profitable option. All he's out to do is make money. Thats why he's got to be up to something else. Just because you seem set on not taking that car off the lot, doesnt mean he wont try. Its a risk that you'll walk, but risk is part of the game.

And you shouldn't pay sticker for an 04 now, you should be able to get at least $3,000 off.

And trust me, you don't want rain sensing wipers lol, IMHO they're useless...

SWO3ES is correct in that there was a shortage of ML/RSES RX330's due to the production shift from Japan to Canada. I bought my RX330 with ML/RSES back in late October. I was all setup to buy and pickup in mid-November until my dealer called and notified me of the shift and subsequent production shortage since ML/RSES was only being made in Japan. I thought he was !Removed! with me so he could move a car in October but he actually showed me his November allocation which had no ML/RSES models. He then found out that he probably wouldn't receive ML/RSES models until the Canada plant production was fully up, which was supposed to be early January. Don't know if they have started shipping ML/RSES from the Canada plant yet.

Ok so that's probably why there wasn't one Lexus on the lot with a ML system I could listen to. Thanks guys - any thoughts on AWD vs. FWD? I live in NJ and we get little to moderate snowfall (not very hilly), I'm wondering if the AWD is necessary or if the traction control in the FWD is adequate enough. The FWD gets 30 more miles a tank than the AWD. Should I post a new topic..? Thanks again- u guys are a big help.

Think someone here already hit it on the head...the Levinson Nav bundle is something the dealers push. You CAN bi-pass the Mark Lev and get just the Nav package (which is what I did).

As for huge difference in sound...well, that is up to the tastes, education and needs of the listener.

I would simply leave everyone to ponder this: Would YoYo Ma be any less accomplished a musican on a Bose vs a Nachamici system etc...perhaps, just perhaps, it all depends on the music one listens to to begin with...?

:cheers: