2000 Rx300 168,000 Kms Good Buy?

teammootracer

Hello,

I have been staying up everynight reading as much as I can about the RX300. According to many reliable sources, it's very reliable. But after reading about the transmissions problems and "sludging" issues I'm having second thoughts. My wife and I have our first child on the way and want something safe and reliable. There isn't a lot of selection where we live, in fact, there's only 4 for sale in British Columbia. I've found one (2000 RX300 168,000 kms) that looks to be in excellent condition (service records, etc). If the owner accepts my offer ($13,000 CAN) im going to have the valve cover pulled and the transmission pan dropped for inspection before purchasing.

Would it be smarter to avoid this vehicle all together? Maybe get a 2002 Toyota Highlander instead? After everything people say about Lexus reliability, I'm shocked to hear about the horror stories.

Thoughts?

I have owned a 99 RX for the last 1.5 years and it now has 95K miles. About 90K the transmission had to be replaced for $3,500. Other than that it has worked well for myself and the previous owner with only the normal maintenance

It sounds like replacing the transmission is just part of owning a RX300? If the Highlander shares the same transmission, why doesnt the highlander not have these issues?

Hello,

I have been staying up everynight reading as much as I can about the RX300. According to many reliable sources, it's very reliable. But after reading about the transmissions problems and "sludging" issues I'm having second thoughts. My wife and I have our first child on the way and want something safe and reliable. There isn't a lot of selection where we live, in fact, there's only 4 for sale in British Columbia. I've found one (2000 RX300 168,000 kms) that looks to be in excellent condition (service records, etc). If the owner accepts my offer ($13,000 CAN) im going to have the valve cover pulled and the transmission pan dropped for inspection before purchasing.

Would it be smarter to avoid this vehicle all together? Maybe get a 2002 Toyota Highlander instead? After everything people say about Lexus reliability, I'm shocked to hear about the horror stories.

Thoughts?

TMR- What does $13k in Canadian convert to in USD? That seems like a ton to much money to me for an '00 RX, even though it won't be that much in USD. I have to say, every time I drive my DIL's to work on it, I am not impressed for a car (truck?) that ran right at $40k (maybe more) new. They bought it at a Toyota wholesale auction as a lease return 2& 1/2 yrs old with 32k mi for $26k. It is not the worlds most quiet or smooth car for that kind of money. My wife's Toyota Camry ('02) at 7 &1/2 yrs old is still a dream to drive and you can virtually whisper in it at 80MPH and be heard. (we drove 900+ mi. home in one day from northern Oregon to So. Cal. because it didn't beat you up in the process). I'm not sure the RX (being technically a truck) was ever like that. I'm sure that I could find something that would please me (even in an SUV) more than that for that much money, but that's only one mans opinion. Good luck!

Hello,

Thoughts?

TMR- What does $13k in Canadian convert to in USD? That seems like a ton to much money to me for an '00 RX, even though it won't be that much in USD. I have to say, every time I drive my DIL's to work on it, I am not impressed for a car (truck?) that ran right at $40k (maybe more) new. They bought it at a Toyota wholesale auction as a lease return 2& 1/2 yrs old with 32k mi for $26k. It is not the worlds most quiet or smooth car for that kind of money. My wife's Toyota Camry ('02) at 7 &1/2 yrs old is still a dream to drive and you can virtually whisper in it at 80MPH and be heard. (we drove 900+ mi. home in one day from northern Oregon to So. Cal. because it didn't beat you up in the process). I'm not sure the RX (being technically a truck) was ever like that. I'm sure that I could find something that would please me (even in an SUV) more than that for that much money, but that's only one mans opinion. Good luck!

Supply and demand. Where I live, 2002 RX300s go for 20k. Everything just costs more. 13k CAN is about 11k US. It just had a timing belt and new brakes installed, about 3k in receipts from 2 months ago.

Hello,

Thoughts?

Supply and demand. Where I live, 2002 RX300s go for 20k. Everything just costs more. 13k CAN is about 11k US. It just had a timing belt and new brakes installed, about 3k in receipts from 2 months ago.

I own a 1999 rx300 with 147,000 miles. I have had no problems with the transmission, no oil problems, I change my oil every 3000 miles. It gets about 300 miles to the tank, and thats 90% city driving, not bad for a 10 year car. I say if you treat it nice it will take care of you. I say GO FOR IT.

Hello,

Thoughts?

I own a 1999 rx300 with 147,000 miles. I have had no problems with the transmission, no oil problems, I change my oil every 3000 miles. It gets about 300 miles to the tank, and thats 90% city driving, not bad for a 10 year car. I say if you treat it nice it will take care of you. I say GO FOR IT.

Great advice. The one I'm looking as has very possible option, only how do you tell if it has a "premium" sound system?

TMR- I didn't realize people in Canada were that rich. Sorry, with a gun to my head I wouldn't pay those kind of prices. That is a better investment for the people that are selling those cars than they could have ever done on the stock market or Gold. My sympathies to you in Canada.

Hello,

Thoughts?

Welcome to LOC team. :)

First off, congrats to you & your Wife on expecting your first child! B)

What is your price range for a vehicle & just curious what is it about the RX specifically you like? Do you have any other vehicles on your short list other than the RX & possible Highlander?

As you seem to know, the key with one of these vehicles is service records, service records & service records (especially all oil & tranny fluid changes accounted for & I would only consider one if the timing belt has been changed as well). My main concern with any 8 - 10 year old vehicle is the lack of a warranty...oh sure you can get '3rd party' coverage...but on a Lexus....this will be expensive & read the fine print very carefully. But definately have a trusted mechanic go over the entire vehicle with a fine tooth comb before any deal is done.

:cheers:

the older model lexus RX300's have performed very well, expecially considering that these are SUVs (they are among the longest lasting and least worrying SUVs over the last 20 years).

however, these cars typically have a life of about 200k-250k miles (or 320k-400k km).

thus, buying a car with 170k km, you would have to figure that this car would last you another 8 years at most. thus at that point, re-selling the car will not yield you much (if anything) and you will HAVE to get a newer one.

so you really have only 2 options:

1.) pay a little more now and less later

2.) pay a little now and more later

given that a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow, I would go with option 1.

hope this helps.

the older model lexus RX300's have performed very well, expecially considering that these are SUVs (they are among the longest lasting and least worrying SUVs over the last 20 years).

however, these cars typically have a life of about 200k-250k miles (or 320k-400k km).

thus, buying a car with 170k km, you would have to figure that this car would last you another 8 years at most. thus at that point, re-selling the car will not yield you much (if anything) and you will HAVE to get a newer one.

so you really have only 2 options:

1.) pay a little more now and less later

2.) pay a little now and more later

given that a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow, I would go with option 1.

hope this helps.

We only put on 10,000kms a year. I figure we'll keep it 4-5 years. Im taking it to get inspected on Saturday, then to the transmission shop for a full tranny inspection.

Hello,

Thoughts?

I'd pass on the 300. The tranny just doesn't seem worth the risk... In regards to the lack of selection in your area, I'd recommend expanding your search to the Vancouver mainland, as there are many for sale here, might be worth the ferry ride... Don't know your budget but, sometimes you can even get a pretty decent price on a first generation RX330 (low 20's, I've even seen a high milage one for $18)

I own a 2000 RX300 with 111,000 miles (178,600 km). If that's the going price in Canada, I would not mind driving from California to Vancouver to sell my RX. It runs great and the transmission fluid been changed many times to keep it fresh. I have my eye on an used GX470 but I understand it only gets 16 mpg.

Hello,

Thoughts?

I'd pass on the 300. The tranny just doesn't seem worth the risk... In regards to the lack of selection in your area, I'd recommend expanding your search to the Vancouver mainland, as there are many for sale here, might be worth the ferry ride... Don't know your budget but, sometimes you can even get a pretty decent price on a first generation RX330 (low 20's, I've even seen a high milage one for $18)

All those craigslist adds were in Vancouver, there is only 1 only Vancouver Island for sale. Im having a transmission shop drop the pan and doing a full inspection to make sure it's in good shape. The cheapest 330 I've seen is still 25k.

I've got a 00 RX300 with about 130,000 miles on it and (knock wood) no tranny problems so far. I have replaced the antenna mast, all 6 coils and an 02 sensor though.

Not bad really for a 10 year old vehicle. I really like the RX though for the great, quiet ride and though it could use more power at times, overall its goes well enough.

With all that said, I probably wouldn't buy the car you're looking at. I'd hold out for an 02-03 or even an early 330. Not because of age or style or options (they all come with almost every normal option as standard anyhow) but simply because after all these years on this list no-one has been able to deduce exactly why so many 99/00 trannys fail. Sure many more don't fail but why take that risk?. IIRC it doesn't matter how often you change the fluid, or how you drive, or what conditions (cold hot) some tranny just fail and others don't. At this point in the vehicle life you have no recourse (other than to pay yourself) if the tranny falls out of this thing a week after you buy it. Be patient and wait for a similar one thats just a bit newer.