Gs350 Vs Es350

Hi there,

I have a 2006 GS300 in the UK. I have just come back from San Francisco and Sacramento and I have studying the models you guys have over there. I spotted ES350's everywhere but less GS350's (and GS430's). The question I have is what are the real differences between the GS350 and the ES350. Both seem to be very similar on the face of it with only small styling differences. We do not have the ES350 in the UK so I my question is what are the differences between the GS350 and the ES350 ? Are the specs different or something ? Is one made in the US and one in Japan ?

Both seem to be so similar I am trying to work out why the US gets the GS and the ES but in the UK we only get the GS.

All comments welcome.

From a fellow Lexus owner in the UK.

Thanks.

Hi there,

I have a 2006 GS300 in the UK. I have just come back from San Francisco and Sacramento and I have studying the models you guys have over there. I spotted ES350's everywhere but less GS350's (and GS430's). The question I have is what are the real differences between the GS350 and the ES350. Both seem to be very similar on the face of it with only small styling differences. We do not have the ES350 in the UK so I my question is what are the differences between the GS350 and the ES350 ? Are the specs different or something ? Is one made in the US and one in Japan ?

Both seem to be so similar I am trying to work out why the US gets the GS and the ES but in the UK we only get the GS.

All comments welcome.

From a fellow Lexus owner in the UK.

Thanks.

Odd that you don't have the ES. I looked at both the ES and GS models here. IMNSHO, the ES is marketed to the more comfort/less performance buyer, while the GS is marketed to the more performance/decent comfort buyer. Also, I believe the ES is FWD, while the GS can be had with RWD or AWD. Where I live there are a lot more ES's on the road than IS or GS models.

The interior styling of the ES and GS are very different. I have only driven the ES as a loaner when my GS is in for service. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the current model ES interior. To me it just feels more like a standard Toyota. The GS interior has that extra something that makes it feel more luxurious.

The exterior is also very different. The GS, looking at the front, has much more of a sporty look to it. In fact, the lines on the GS are really all about a sporty look, compared to the standard sedan look, which the ES has.

But, the most important difference for me is the AWD. I live in Minnesota....snow baby snow! I won't purchase a car without AWD anymore. The GS does a nice job in managing the AWD system. In warmer weather it is balanced at 70% rear and 30% front, which gives it a sportier driving experience. When the weather turns cold it is 50/50 rear/front.

--Duckman

The ES is based on a US Toyota Camry platform and the GS is a Lexus platform. The ES was meant to be a entry level luxury sedan while the GS is design to be a sport luxury sedan. Lexus sells many more ES here in the US than they do GS.