Toyota Recall Stuck Pedals

jaycin

I have had a few problems over the years with a sticking gas pedal, but very few. I have sprayed the linkage with WD40 and that would fix the problem for many months. I do that with each lube job. Now I'm a little concerned that our Lexus vehicles from Toyota might have pedal designs that Toyota is currently expiriencing. I'd like to see if other Lexus owners here have had problems in the past.

I have had a few problems over the years with a sticking gas pedal, but very few. I have sprayed the linkage with WD40 and that would fix the problem for many months. I do that with each lube job. Now I'm a little concerned that our Lexus vehicles from Toyota might have pedal designs that Toyota is currently expiriencing. I'd like to see if other Lexus owners here have had problems in the past.

I wouldn't spray it with wd40 any longer (its water-based) a better solution would be PB Blaster or maybe white lithium.

My car in a 93' sc300 with almost 180,000 miles I have never had the problem your describing. Its my understanding that the sticking pedal problem newer toyotas are experiencing is a premature wear issue related to the linkage. If I were you I would order a new linkage from lexus and have it replaced. I did have a similar problem on a 1976 datsun 280z the plastic pivot balls on the very complex and over engineered throttle linkage had worn and developed "flat spots on the inside. This caused the throttle to stick when pressed all the way to the floor.(very scary) Even if no one else has had this problem in an sc400 this is a very serious saftey concern and should be repaired right away.

post-106115-1264864090_thumb.jpg

I won't use WD-40 on anything. You can try spray grease, but I always recommend LPS-1 or LPS-2. They are both available from Amazon (and other sources) and are used for lubricating various components on aircraft where corrosion is a safety concern. They are more expensive than WD-40, but there is no worry of corrosion, and they last last a long time. LPS-1 is a very light lube, while LPS-2 is a bit heavier. There is an LPS-3, but it's really thick (almost wax-like) and not commonly used. You will never see WD-40 anywhere near airplanes.

I would try yhe things stated above.

and from what I understand I don't think this is related to the recall on newer toyotas if that is waht you are refering to

the problem with the vehicals in the recal would be totally different because they all are drive by wire so the problem there is either electrical or the mechanical throttle body sticking or hanging up.