Auto. Transmission Fluid

Hello,

I was told recently by mechanic @ NTB, after usual multi-point inspection they do while replacing the oil, that I NEED NOT worry about ATF regardless of the color of the fluid since the brand used in my vehicle can go as far as 100K miles.

Questions :

1) Is this statement true( I am sure he is right , just want a 2nd opinion)? I currently have 79000+ miles (almost close to 80000) ? Was he talking about Dexron III ATF or similar ATF?

2) Where/How to find out what brand of ATF do I have in my 2002 ES 300(bought in 2001) ?

Finally, Do you RECOMMEND ATF flush or just change and at what interval? I have heard quite conflicting opinions on this topic mainly NOT recommending flush at all. What you think?

Thanks

Vic

Hello,

I was told recently by mechanic @ NTB, after usual multi-point inspection they do while replacing the oil, that I NEED NOT worry about ATF regardless of the color of the fluid since the brand used in my vehicle can go as far as 100K miles.

Questions :

1) Is this statement true( I am sure he is right , just want a 2nd opinion)? I currently have 79000+ miles (almost close to 80000) ? Was he talking about Dexron III ATF or similar ATF?

2) Where/How to find out what brand of ATF do I have in my 2002 ES 300(bought in 2001) ?

Finally, Do you RECOMMEND ATF flush or just change and at what interval? I have heard quite conflicting opinions on this topic mainly NOT recommending flush at all. What you think?

Thanks

Vic

I disagree with your mechanic. First off our cars require Toyota Type IV fluid (or equivalent)...not Dexron III fluid...you will bugger up your tranny. I change my ATF ever 2 years or 30k miles...on a regular basis & I just do the regular 'drain & fills' with a new plug gasket. I also use Amsoil Synthetic ATF which helps out a great deal as far as cold weather performance & slightly smoother shifting compared to the Toyota IV ATF.....and I've used it for years on both Lexus ES's I have owned. More info here...

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

:cheers:

Hello,

Questions :

Thanks

Everything you ever wanted to know...and more!!!!! I wrote this for my 96 and 97 but it covers your 02 also.

I love this forum but it does get confusing. This is what "I" am going to do with my 96 es300 w/125k mi.

1. The manual says to "inspect" at 125k but says nothing else about oil transfusion or what to use.

2. The dip stick says to use Dex II and to check the rear end oil at the filler hole. However my understanding is that Dex III can be used in place of all before it. I am not sure when Dex II was superseded/discontinued but I thought it was before 96 as stated below. I am sure the stick is OEM and has all the jap lingo on it. I concluded that maybe the stick is older than 96 but then what did the factory really use? I assume it had to be Dex III. (Democratic disclaimer: No disrespect meant on the Jap statement.)

3. The forum seems avid against using Dexron. So I called the Dealer...Bell Road Lexus in Phoenix @ (602) 866-1474 and they told me...:

Pre 1999- Dexron III ATF. 1999 to 2004- Toyota ATF. 2004+ World Standard ATF what ever that is...you new guys can fight it out. I asked about the synthetic and he said with older cars it would not really matter but suggested "no". I asked about using the Valvoline v v337 Dex/Merc Extended Life and he said it was a good product and a good replacement for the Dexron.

5. So...I want all the oil changed out so I am doing the flush method irregardless of the damage threat (I'm such a rebel) and pulling/cleaning the pan/changing the internal screen filter. And I am using the Extended Life Valvoline. If interested in the Valvoline I have posted more info on it...read on:

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer...ission-fluid/37

Overview from the site above:

MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 295 and 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

WIKIPEDIA:

All previous DEXRON specifications were replaced once DEXRON-VI was introduced. There are no valid approved products that carry the DEXRON approval unless they have a DEXRON-VI approval and associated license.

DEXRON-IIE has been surpassed by DEXRON-III as of January 1, 1994. It is no longer available and its use is no longer recommended. DEXRON-IIE is not compatible in systems requiring DEXRON-III or DEXRON-VI.

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage.

All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006, and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, General Motors will only support the use of DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Fluids claiming DEXRON-III type performance continue to be sold under abbreviated names such as Dex/Merc, and D/M however since the DEXRON-III licensing system no longer exists, these fluids are not regulated in any way.

DEXRON-VI

DEXRON-VI was introduced in 2005. It was designed to replace all prior specifications, and is therefore backwards-compatible with applications calling for DEXRON of any type. The specification (GMN 10060) defines both a performance level and specific additives that provide improved shift feel, friction durability and oxidative stability compared to earlier specified fluids.

Vic

post-92723-1264825302_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Questions :

Thanks

Vic

Wrote this for my 96 but it covers your o2 also. Good luck.

I love this forum but it does get confusing. This is what "I" am going to do with my 96 es300 w/125k mi.

1. The manual says to "inspect" at 125k but says nothing else about oil transfusion or what to use.

2. The dip stick says to use Dex II and to check the rear end oil at the filler hole. However my understanding is that Dex III can be used in place of all before it. I am not sure when Dex II was superseded/discontinued but I thought it was before 96 as stated below. I am sure the stick is OEM and has all the jap lingo on it. I concluded that maybe the stick is older than 96 but then what did the factory really use? I assume it had to be Dex III. (Democratic disclaimer: No disrespect meant on the Jap statement.)

3. The forum seems avid against using Dexron. So I called the Dealer...Bell Road Lexus in Phoenix @ (602) 866-1474 and they told me...:

Pre 1999- Dexron III ATF. 1999 to 2004- Toyota ATF. 2004+ World Standard ATF what ever that is...you new guys can fight it out. I asked about the synthetic and he said with older cars it would not really matter but suggested "no". I asked about using the Valvoline v v337 Dex/Merc Extended Life and he said it was a good product and a good replacement for the Dexron.

5. So...I want all the oil changed out so I am doing the flush method irregardless of the damage threat (I'm such a rebel) and pulling/cleaning the pan/changing the internal screen filter. And I am using the Extended Life Valvoline. If interested in the Valvoline I have posted more info on it...read on:

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer...ission-fluid/37

Overview from the site above:

MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 295 and 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

WIKIPEDIA:

All previous DEXRON specifications were replaced once DEXRON-VI was introduced. There are no valid approved products that carry the DEXRON approval unless they have a DEXRON-VI approval and associated license.

DEXRON-IIE has been surpassed by DEXRON-III as of January 1, 1994. It is no longer available and its use is no longer recommended. DEXRON-IIE is not compatible in systems requiring DEXRON-III or DEXRON-VI.

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage.

All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006, and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, General Motors will only support the use of DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Fluids claiming DEXRON-III type performance continue to be sold under abbreviated names such as Dex/Merc, and D/M however since the DEXRON-III licensing system no longer exists, these fluids are not regulated in any way.

DEXRON-VI

DEXRON-VI was introduced in 2005. It was designed to replace all prior specifications, and is therefore backwards-compatible with applications calling for DEXRON of any type. The specification (GMN 10060) defines both a performance level and specific additives that provide improved shift feel, friction durability and oxidative stability compared to earlier specified fluids.

Would you like to give a summary on all of that for us? :rolleyes:

I might also suggest one reads their owners manual to confirm....Toyota Type IV fluid or equivalent. To my knowledge, his 2002 does not call for anything Dexron....I know this because I was the owner of a 2001 previously & the current owner of a 2005 ES 330....both vehicles call for the above. Copy & pasting something while referencing Wikipedia in this situation....is not very helpful....it actually creates confusion.