Rx300 Transmission Cooler Lines

jcmc300rx

I have a 2000 Lexus RX 300 with over 200k milage on it and I was just told by a Lexus dealership that both of the Transmission Cooler Lines are rusted. Is this typical for a vehicle that old? I live around the Boston area and with all the salt on the ground during the winter months, I figured that this must be something caused by that. Anyway - I'm trying to get an idea of what this will cost. The dealership quoted me over $425.00, is that about right? I was thinking of just going to my local garage guy down the street.

- Jeff

Boston, MA

The question you need to ask your dealer is: "Are the lines corroded to the point of near-failure or do they just have rust ON them?"

I'm not saying there's not a valid concern here but it will be the first time I have heard of this problem existing to the point of these cooling lines requiring replacement - especially at that price. What concerns me is this is a real simple way for a dealer to pick up some easy money to shore up the bottom line of the Service Department. I'm not accusing anybody but I will say the warning lights are flashing.

At the very least, I'd be lining up for a 2nd opinion with a good independent shop before I authorized the work. I think a little convincing is in order.

Caveat emptor.

I agree with the others – this whole issue sounds a little fishy. But IF the hoses need replacement, you might consider having them rebuilt at a firm such as Able Auto & Truck Parts in Richardson TX. I have taken several types of pressure hoses to them over the years, and they just repair or re-create them in their shop on the spot. Cost for the last one, a Volvo power steering hose from the PS pump to the steering rack was about $50. I wound up with new hoses and new connections, then just reattached to the car.

I assume that most major cities have similar operations - FINDING them may be the challenge. Maybe focusing on places that work on TRUCK hydraulic lines would get you started.