Wow, From Toyota?

At first I just thought it was the floormats. Then I read more about the mysterious acceleration problems in a number of cars, and realized it was more than the floormats.

Now, we have Toyota making this unprecedented move...http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704094304575028883557097968.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

It's costing them hundreds of millions of dollars. Will it start showing up in Lexus automobiles too?

At first I just thought it was the floormats. Then I read more about the mysterious acceleration problems in a number of cars, and realized it was more than the floormats.

Now, we have Toyota making this unprecedented move...http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704094304575028883557097968.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

It's costing them hundreds of millions of dollars. Will it start showing up in Lexus automobiles too?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/business/28tokyo.html

Perhaps a better link...

I'm kind of bewildered that the Camry and Highlander are included, but not the ES or RX. Which means that they use a different parts supplier for the Japanese built cars.

They do, an outfit in Canada makes them for plants here, one in Japan there.

There may be more than one cause of the problems being addressed. I think one is the pedal itself and the other is the actual system. The pedal design may be common to Lexus and Toyota, while the system problem applies to parts made in North America. I believe the Lexus parts are made in Japan.

It already has, my 2007 IS 250 was recalled.

There may be more than one cause of the problems being addressed. I think one is the pedal itself and the other is the actual system. The pedal design may be common to Lexus and Toyota, while the system problem applies to parts made in North America. I believe the Lexus parts are made in Japan.

Bull, 2 million cars in Europe, now China its a design problem with the car, and Lexus is included.

Bull, 2 million cars in Europe, now China its a design problem with the car, and Lexus is included.

Bull? Did you read what I said? There are two problems being addressed.

Recently, Toyota announced two voluntary safety recalls that cover some of its models. Both recall campaigns address conditions related to the accelerator pedal. The first recall, "Floor Mat Entrapment," regards the potential for an unsecured or incompatible driver's floor mat to interfere with the accelerator pedal and cause it to get stuck in the wide-open position.

The second recall, "Pedal," is being conducted because there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

As part of the recall campaign, new car sales of vehicles subject to the pedal recall have been temporarily suspended until the problem is remedied.

In addition, we've temporarily halted production at some of our North American plants to focus our resources on remedying the vehicles we've recalled. Why have we taken this unprecedented action? Because it's the right thing to do for our owners.

Is your Toyota subject to one or both of the recalls? Select your model from the list at left to learn whether either or both of these recalls apply to your Toyota vehicle and what you should expect regarding the recall remedies.

If you have additional questions or concerns that have not been addressed here, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331. The Toyota Customer Experience Center hours are: Mon.–Fri. 5:00 am-6:00 pm PST, Sat. 7:00 am-4:00 pm PST.

http://www.toyota.com/recall/?srchid=K610_p278710208

I was told by my dealer that the Japanese-built cars do not use the pedal part (built by CTS) under the recall. This included my IS and my friends Yaris (apparently his was built in Japan). And despite anti-Toyota hoopla some U.S. brand cars are included.

News Alert: Toyota tells dealers parts on way to fix pedals

07:12 AM EST Monday, February 1, 2010

Toyota Motor Corp. said Monday its dealers should get parts to fix a sticky gas pedal problem this week as the automaker tries to bring an end to a recall that has affected 4.2 million vehicles worldwide.
Engineers traced the problem to a friction device in the assembly that is supposed to provide the proper pedal "feel" by adding resistance, Toyota said in the statement.

The device has a shoe that rubs against a nearby metal surface during normal pedal use. But wear and environmental conditions can over time cause the pedals to not operate smoothly or in rare cases stick partially open.

The company said a steel reinforcement bar will be installed into the gas pedal assembly, reducing the friction.

"With this reinforcement in place, the excess friction that can cause the pedal to stick is eliminated," the statement said. "The company has confirmed the effectiveness of the newly reinforced pedals through rigorous testing on pedal assemblies that had previously shown a tendency to stick."

Jim Lentz, president and chief operating officer of Toyota Motor Sales, said in the statement that nothing is more important than customer safety.

In a video clip released by the automaker, Lentz said he wanted to "sincerely apologize to Toyota owners. I know that our recalls have caused many of you concern and for that I am truly sorry."

"Toyota has always prided itself on building high-quality, durable cars that customers can depend on and I know that we've let you down," Lentz said.

http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/1BA...C0OV/F900S/4O/t

After Toyota recall, investigators look for faults in electronic throttles

Federal regulators have launched an inquiry into whether engine electronics caused vehicles to accelerate unexpectedly as legislators and experts on Tuesday cast doubt on Toyota's explanation of its "runaway cars."

"We're not finished with Toyota," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood warned.

The latest examination by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration could address years of complaints regarding electronic throttle control, the computerized gas pedal systems that now operate in most cars.

The government's review will look at the electronics systems across all manufacturers as well as the possibility that engine operation could be disrupted by electromagnetic interference caused by power lines or other sources.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...isrc=newsletter

• 3 weeks later...

I think includes cars made in Japan & U.S.A. and I don't think its the pedal, sounds like computer design problem. I don't think they want to admit to this but there is alot of papers written on the web which points to this.

I was told by my dealer that the Japanese-built cars do not use the pedal part (built by CTS) under the recall. This included my IS and my friends Yaris (apparently his was built in Japan). And despite anti-Toyota hoopla some U.S. brand cars are included.

Sure the ones made by Toyota.

I think includes cars made in Japan & U.S.A. and I don't think its the pedal, sounds like computer design problem. I don't think they want to admit to this but there is alot of papers written on the web which points to this.

It would be helpful if you would provide links to some of this supporting information. Since my post was written, yes there has been speculation of software problems. At the time I wrote that, about all we new was that NHTSA seemed to believe what Toyota was telling them about the pedals. I hear Mr Toyota will be testifying in Congress this week. I don't know how much we'll learn from that though as there will probably be much political face time involved. :(

As has been stated before, Toyota is only the latest in a long line of SUA (Sudden Unintended Acceleration) issues. S-U-A, they refer to it as, it's that common.

A fairly exhaustive article on the subject : http://www.safetyresearch.net/2009/07/20/s...n-acceleration/

I never had this problem in my '66 VW bug. But the accelerator cable did break every now and then...I carried a spare, clutch cable too.

I'd like to know which companies they were...problem is in no way unique to Toyota. Not sure why they are getting the brunt of government inquiry. It didn't help hearing how they handled some of the complaints though...

• 3 weeks later...

What's weird to me is that early on I remember hearing that there were some non-Toyota cars impacted also; I specifically remember the Ford Fusion being mentioned as using the CTS parts also but there has been little coverage/complaint/media fervor..