Toyota Quality...?

Lexusfreak

With my JTIS CD and the guidance by the Jaguar master techs who frequent a couple of the Jaguar forums in both the US and the UK, I can do a hell of a lot more service procedures on our S-Type than I initially thought I could do. Most experienced D-I-Y guys with basic automotive knowledge, a decent array of tools, and a can-do attitude will be just fine. There's a lot of help out there if you know where to look for it....

Just wondering, are you retired?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left the corporate world in late 2002 just before my 49th birthday to play the stock options market. So I'm my own boss when the market isn't pushing me around and beating the hell out of me....

I didn't buy the Jag simply because I don't have the same level of affection for them as you clearly do, not in comfort, design, prestige, or appearence. I'm not a fan of Jaguar in general, never have been, including the new designs. It doesn't have anything to do with your recommendations. They do nothing for me. Additionally, from your description of maintenance and research required to stay ahead of the curve on a Jag, my patience and desire to tackle such things would have been exhausted from the onset. I'm not the same guy who tore through his 95' LS several years ago. If it doesn't do as it's supposed to do, then it gets replaced, outside of normal wear and tear items. For the environment my cars operate in now, I'm just fine with the GS, and to be honest with you, growing more and more attracted to it, now that some of the dust in my life has begun to settle and I can focus beyond 30 minutes out. It's hard to argue against a 9 year old car with 60k miles that's only needed a routine brake job and a couple of engine mounts. Everything else I've done was simply by choice, not by need. 300hp, extremely comfortable cabin, safe, neck snapping quick, and not a rattle to be found, for $12.9k.... gets my money.

The car service I use for my airport runs use Camry Hybrids. Every single time I get in one of them, I'm amazed at how nice they are. I like the dash, I like the center stack, I like the car in general. Call me boring, but I don't have any beefs with today's lineup. If you like them, buy them. If not, go buy whatever you like. There are lots of choices out there. I'm sure you'll find the perfect vehicle for your tastes.

I'm done.

I didn't buy the Jag simply because I don't have the same level of affection for them as you clearly do, not in comfort, design, prestige, or appearence. I'm not a fan of Jaguar in general, never have been, including the new designs. It doesn't have anything to do with your recommendations. They do nothing for me. Additionally, from your description of maintenance and research required to stay ahead of the curve on a Jag, my patience and desire to tackle such things would have been exhausted from the onset. I'm not the same guy who tore through his 95' LS several years ago. If it doesn't do as it's supposed to do, then it gets replaced, outside of normal wear and tear items. For the environment my cars operate in now, I'm just fine with the GS, and to be honest with you, growing more and more attracted to it, now that some of the dust in my life has begun to settle and I can focus beyond 30 minutes out. It's hard to argue against a 9 year old car with 60k miles that's only needed a routine brake job and a couple of engine mounts. Everything else I've done was simply by choice, not by need. 300hp, extremely comfortable cabin, safe, neck snapping quick, and not a rattle to be found, for $12.9k.... gets my money.

The car service I use for my airport runs use Camry Hybrids. Every single time I get in one of them, I'm amazed at how nice they are. I like the dash, I like the center stack, I like the car in general. Call me boring, but I don't have any beefs with today's lineup. If you like them, buy them. If not, go buy whatever you like. There are lots of choices out there. I'm sure you'll find the perfect vehicle for your tastes.

I'm done.

Thats understanble nc211, not everybody likes Jags, but you like a Camry better than a Jag? Come on :)

We have 2 Camry Hybrid where I work, they are full of rattles and the interior is made from very cheap material.

Before, you buy your GS, do a little research first, the 2nd gen GS is pretty good but the 3rd gen GS is full of rattles and other issues. There is a long list of TSBs and its almost like Lexus have given up on that model.

So..why do you have an 08' then?

My wife had a ES a few years ago and thought that it would be the natural progression to go from a ES to a GS since we wanted to stay in the Lexus family, boy, was I wrong. The GS is pobably the second worst car I have ever owned, the worst being the Hyundai excel I has in college 20 years ago.