Brake Noise Ls460

Since purchased new, my '08 LS460 has had a front brake clicking noise. Following a complete stop while in gear, a quick let up on the brake pedal to advance forward produces an immediate, distinct clicking sound from both front brakes as the brakes disengage. If the brake pedal is only partially released (to creep forward) the clicking changes to a louder grating sound. Weather or temperature changes have no effect on the noises.

Varied opinions from three different Lexus dealers offered that either they don't hear such, there's nothing wrong with this happening and that Lexus knows of the problem and is working on it. Both my '99 LS 400 (with over 200K miles) and my daughter's '05 LS430 never experienced such.

My nearest Lexus dealer is more that 125 miles distant so that diagnosis is wanting.

Since purchased new, my '08 LS460 has had a front brake clicking noise. Following a complete stop while in gear, a quick let up on the brake pedal to advance forward produces an immediate, distinct clicking sound from both front brakes as the brakes disengage. If the brake pedal is only partially released (to creep forward) the clicking changes to a louder grating sound. Weather or temperature changes have no effect on the noises.

Varied opinions from three different Lexus dealers offered that either they don't hear such, there's nothing wrong with this happening and that Lexus knows of the problem and is working on it. Both my '99 LS 400 (with over 200K miles) and my daughter's '05 LS430 never experienced such.

My nearest Lexus dealer is more that 125 miles distant so that diagnosis is wanting. Is there a corporate address for filing a complaint?

mine does this also, it sounds like electronic releases or other on the brakes. Do you have the parking brake set to Auto and do you use the Hold feature, just curious

My nearest Lexus dealer is more that 125 miles distant so that diagnosis is wanting. Is there a corporate address for filing a complaint?

mine does this also, it sounds like electronic releases or other on the brakes. Do you have the parking brake set to Auto and do you use the Hold feature, just curious

The click occurs with or without the HOLD activated. I only rarely use the parking brake that does not seem to matter.

The click occurs with or without the HOLD activated. I only rarely use the parking brake that does not seem to matter.

sounds the same as mine, and its some kind of electronic mechanism they use that is just noisy. I dont see folks jumping into this thread as a concern so maybe its working for us as designed.

mine can be just applying the brake and still stationary in the garage, so I dont think its the pads needing some grease, but it may be Zonk's issue. What I hear is more like the clicking of an electrical switch, I can look this up in the service manuals I have this weekend in the troubleshooting section and see if anything pops out. Brakes seem perfect, its just a new noise I was not used to as its a new vehicle for me. The front brakes were just replaced and the rotors by the dealership as part of the CPO.

• 2 weeks later...
mine can be just applying the brake and still stationary in the garage, so I dont think its the pads needing some grease, but it may be Zonk's issue. What I hear is more like the clicking of an electrical switch, I can look this up in the service manuals I have this weekend in the troubleshooting section and see if anything pops out. Brakes seem perfect, its just a new noise I was not used to as its a new vehicle for me. The front brakes were just replaced and the rotors by the dealership as part of the CPO.

You're right on the clicking being an electrical switch. It's the brake actuator switch. I have this same problem with my '07 and the dealer says that this noise is "normal" and that many other 460s have the noise. It's Toyota's choice of switches that's the problem. Personally, I'm sick of the noise and regardless of whether they want to replace it or not, I'm going to force the issue or take it to the regional rep. For $82K, I shouldn't hear anything of the sort and when I look in the manual, I see nothing that says that I should expect to hear it. It's bad enough that you sometimes have to listen to the high-pressure fuel injectors, but there's definitely nothing that can be done for that.

• 1 month later...

I absolutely agree with "hlevin". At the price we pay for these cars, I expected to hear virtually nothing- no brake noise, no engine noise while idling...I've had the car in a couple of times now for the brakes and other small issues and been told that the noise is 'normal'. I've not been informed of a TSB.

I will say that my Lexus experience has been quite disappointing and has had me questioning my decision of my purchase over a Mercedes :unsure: Unfortunately since all of this drama has come about with Toyota, our car values have dropped significantly- check them out on NADA or Kelley Blue Book. Suppose I'm stuck with it for a while-