Iacv Screw Removal

pappastratos

OK guys, I have read that the biggest challenge of removing the ICAV is the screws holding it in place. I have read that using a impact that you strike breaks these loose. I have a cordless impact (Dewalt, looks like a drill) with all the tips & bits. Could I CAREFULLY use this ?

OK guys, I have read that the biggest challenge of removing the ICAV is the screws holding it in place. I have read that using a impact that you strike breaks these loose. I have a cordless impact (Dewalt, looks like a drill) with all the tips & bits. Could I CAREFULLY use this ?

Hi Mr P- For the most part I believe the impact that you strike would be the definite preference. A cordless would be maybe the next preference, but not a high power cordless (maybe one with the battery part way run down). The Japanese screws are VERY soft (always have been) and tend to grab the adjacent metal and make it SEEM that they are over tightened when they are not. I have had the IACV off my DIL's RX twice with success in not stripping the screws, but I have had many years of experience at this. Make SURE that the phillips screw is not a #3 (could well be), instead of a #2 (which is what most guys will use). My 1st suggestion would be to use a small needle nose Vice-Grip (good one, not cheap), clamp good and tight, and with a quick snap loosen it. I can almost guarantee they will come loose that way. You might want to consider getting hex headed bolts to replace the phillips screws. Hope this helps.

Hi Mr P- For the most part I believe the impact that you strike would be the definite preference. A cordless would be maybe the next preference, but not a high power cordless (maybe one with the battery part way run down). The Japanese screws are VERY soft (always have been) and tend to grab the adjacent metal and make it SEEM that they are over tightened when they are not. I have had the IACV off my DIL's RX twice with success in not stripping the screws, but I have had many years of experience at this. Make SURE that the phillips screw is not a #3, instead of a #2. My 1st suggestion would be to use a small needle nose Vice-Grip (good one, not cheap), clamp good and tight, and with a quick snap loosen it. I can almost guarantee they will come loose that way. You might want to consider getting hex headed bolts to replace the phillips screws. Hope this helps.

I had the same issue with the screws holding the MAF sensor. The important things is to make sure your Phillips head size is exactly suited to the size the screw. No play. There exist kits with four or six or more sizes. You must use a size mated perfectly... and press quite strongly while unscrewing slowly.

Any others ?

Paul gave you good advice also. The only reason I suggested using the NN vice grips is because I KNEW you would be able to get them out that way (from experience, not on this project, but other soft Japanese screws) I would guess that over half of all the guys that try and take it off strip the Phillips out AND THEN come here for help. I was trying to eliminate frustration, I've spent my life solving problems. There are other ways to deal with the frustration of the soft Japanese screws, but I believe the ones you have to be best there is to offer. Good Luck!

Any others ?

Paul gave you good advice also. The only reason I suggested using the NN vice grips is because I KNEW you would be able to get them out that way (from experience, not on this project, but other soft Japanese screws) I would guess that over half of all the guys that try and take it off strip the Phillips out AND THEN come here for help. I was trying to eliminate frustration, I've spent my life solving problems. There are other ways to deal with the frustration of the soft Japanese screws, but I believe the ones you have to be best there is to offer. Good Luck!

TKU, code58! Could I suggest also doing what I did re: the screws on the MAF on my 99RX >>>> buy/order an extra set - it's cheap insurance in case you screw up (yes, I know - pun!) the screws.