Tire Problems

rkl

Had an ES300 for one year and 15,000 miles which came with Toyo tires. We complained about the tire noise and ride every time the car has gone in for regular maintenance (1K, 5K, 10K and 15K miles). From the beginning we were told there had been complaints about these tires but there was nothing the dealer or Lexus could (or would) do.

At 15K miles, the dealer said the tires are cupped and need to be replaced. There was no offer of help at first. Only after we told them we would have them replaced somewhere other than the dealer were we told that Lexus admits the Toyos they put on the 2003 ES300 were the wrong (high performance) tires for the car and they offered to pay for two replacement tires.

The bottom line is we paid dealer retail for two tires (while Lexus paid internal prices) and balance and alignment. Has anyone else had these problems? Certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Lexus.

Uhnfortunately, Lexus is not known for picking the best tires to ship the ES out with.

Yes, there are reports of the Toyos on the ES having problems. I forgot the specific model but there is a J in the tire name/number. As amatter of fact, I though there was even a silent recall on these tires if effected.

The 2002 ES's were shipped with Bridgestone RE92. What a sad excuse for a tire. Even consumer reports crapped on this one. Poor/acceptable in rain, crap in snow, but quiet on dry pavement.

The 2003 ES was shipped with Toyos or Michelins Energys. The Toyos were prone to cupping and the Michies were expensive and gave/give an unsafe feeling in the rain.

I don't know what is on the 04.

Work with the dealer and get the customer service rep involved. You have complained to them enough times and customer satisfaction is their goal. Keep on them.

steviej

Had an ES300 for one year and 15,000 miles which came with Toyo tires.  We complained about the tire noise and ride

If you are a relaxed, go with the flow kind of driver that wants super quiet, bump smothering ride I would suggest you buy Goodyear Invicta GA tires that are still available at tirerack.com The performance enthusiast drivers here would likely laugh at these tires because they are an old design and aren't the best choice for high speed cornering. Another advantage of the Invicta GA tires is that

the smooth, quiet ride lasts the life of the tire whereas most tires are quiet and smooth only when they are new or less than half worn.

• 5 weeks later...
Had an ES300 for one year and 15,000 miles which came with Toyo tires. We complained about the tire noise and ride every time the car has gone in for regular maintenance (1K, 5K, 10K and 15K miles). From the beginning we were told there had been complaints about these tires but there was nothing the dealer or Lexus could (or would) do.

At 15K miles, the dealer said the tires are cupped and need to be replaced. There was no offer of help at first. Only after we told them we would have them replaced somewhere other than the dealer were we told that Lexus admits the Toyos they put on the 2003 ES300 were the wrong (high performance) tires for the car and they offered to pay for two replacement tires.

The bottom line is we paid dealer retail for two tires (while Lexus paid internal prices) and balance and alignment. Has anyone else had these problems? Certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Lexus.

Every new body style ES300 has this problem. The Toyo tires are prone to cupping and have a high wear rate. Also every car is out of alignment from the factory (2002 2003 models), a contributing factor.

• 2 weeks later...